Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mack Jenkins named Reds Assistant Pitching Coach

Mack Jenkins named Reds Assistant Pitching Coach

MLB Network reported on it's news crawl that Mack Jenkins has been named the Reds assistant pitching coach. He had been the minor league pitching coordinator for the past 6 seasons.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mack Jenkins named Reds Assistant Pitching Coach

What exactly is an assistant pitching coach? Is there problems with Price? Sounds fishy?

...promoted Mack Jenkins to assistant pitching coach on the Major League club…Jenkins has been in the organization for 22 years, the first 16 as a minor league pitching coach and the last 6 as minor league pitching coordinator.
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...itching-coach/

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    What exactly is an assistant pitching coach? Is there problems with Price? Sounds fishy?
    I was assuming that he's the guy who gets Price's coffee.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I was assuming that he's the guy who gets Price's coffee.
    There you go.

Ya gotta dig a guy with a name like Mack Jenkins.

Sounds like a detective from a bad 70's TV show.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I can't recall what organization, but there was a team or two with assistant hitting coaches last season.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Mack is an awesome dude. Not entirely sure what his new role entails exactly, but I am sure he will be good at it.

Here's Sheldon's take on it - it appears to be without precedent:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin

"I was told the position would evolve, it's never been done here before," Jenkins said. "I talked to Bryan about some ideas like helping prepare for series and freeing him up from the tedious stuff so he can get a rapport with the new guys. I'll be the tedious guy."

The article mentioned that Jocketty first approached him back in November with the idea.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Here's Sheldon's take on it - it appears to be without precedent:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin

"I was told the position would evolve, it's never been done here before," Jenkins said. "I talked to Bryan about some ideas like helping prepare for series and freeing him up from the tedious stuff so he can get a rapport with the new guys. I'll be the tedious guy."

The article mentioned that Jocketty first approached him back in November with the idea.
    This almost sounds like Walt is lining up a succession plan. I'm guessing Dusty is gone after 2012 unless the team goes deep into the post-season. Price or David Bell are the prime guys in line as replacements with Jenkins serving as Price understudy for pitching coach should Price get promoted or be gone too.

Maybe with 2013 looking tight financially, the Reds want out from under the $4 Million or so that Dusty would command and will go with a first time manager who can be paid $1 Million or less.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This almost sounds like Walt is lining up a succession plan. I'm guessing Dusty is gone after 2012 unless the team goes deep into the post-season. Price or David Bell are the prime guys in line as replacements with Jenkins serving as Price understudy for pitching coach should Price get promoted or be gone too.

Maybe with 2013 looking tight financially, the Reds want out from under the $4 Million or so that Dusty would command and will go with a first time manager who can be paid $1 Million or less.
    I agree with that you are guessing.

And let's be clear, he's assistant to the pitching coach
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I agree with that you are guessing.

And let's be clear, he's assistant to the pitching coach
    Never claimed otherwise. Why do you seem to have an issue with it?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

nm
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

I think folks are reading far too much into the simple hiring of Mack Jenkins as assistant pitching coach.

It should be obvious that Walt's prime focus since last season has been on fixing the pitching staff. Trades for Latos. Trades for Marshall. Tells Fay next up is either to sign Cordero or add another reliever. LF has to wait for all that.

Walt obviously has concluded that the pitching staff is the team's main concern and probably determined that an additional guy on the coaching staff devoted to pitching made sense and would help.

I wouldn't read too much more into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Walt obviously has concluded that the pitching staff is the team's main concern and probably determined that an additional guy on the coaching staff devoted to pitching made sense and would help.

I wouldn't read too much more into it.
    I wouldn't either, but I like the out of the box thinking.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?