Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BPhil - deal or no deal?

Re: BPhil - deal or no deal?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This is a common mistake made. The Reds don't have to have someone who can step in and replace Phillips. They need someone and about $11.5M, 11.5M, 10M and 8M to replace his production over the next four seasons.

Right now, the Reds have a guy who just finished AA as a second baseman who has hit .307, .320 and .302 in full season leagues with a little bit of pop and speed. Sure thing? Absolutely not. But it means that the Reds don't have to rush into making a decision on Phillips today either, when they already control him for all of 2012 and can make a decision on whether they like Rodriguez enough to offer Phillips such a deal.

And sometimes "prospects" are what get you to divisions and pennants. Both with production provided and salary relief that allows you to spend elsewhere. More than one way to skin a cat.

I see what you're saying from the on the field point of view.

However, I'd argue that Brandon Phillips is the face of this franchise, even moreso than Joey Votto. He's exciting, personable and marketable. The fans love him, adults and kids alike. Baseball is a sport, but also a business, and you not only have to factor in winning to bring fans to the ballpark, but also players that the fans want to come and see. Right now, that person that the fans want to come and see in Cincinnati is Brandon Phillips. He wants to be here. The fans want him here. You figure out a way to make that happen.

Also, he's won two gold gloves. I think a case could be made that he's the best second baseman the Reds have had since Joe Morgan. That's a long stretch. He's won two gold gloves. Even if he begins to decline defensively, I think the chances of him still being better than any potential replacement are great.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Stumbled across this gem from his twitter feed a few weeks back. Discuss.

"Fellas, would u rather have an attractive woman that won't satisfy your needs or an unattractive woman that will? LOL..."

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

LOL. That's great.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

The Reds "made good progress" with Brandon Phillips' agent today, though no long-term deal is imminent yet, tweets Jon Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

DatDudeBP Brandon Phillips
    Guess we will find out another day!!!! #GoodNightMyFriends
    4 hours ago
    http://twitter.com/#!/DatDudeBP

The two side are working on a contract but are not yet close per Jocketty
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin

"We've made progress, but we're not close," Jocketty said Thursday from the airport as he prepared to fly back to Cincinnati. "It will take a little bit of time. It's a complicated contract." ...
    "It gets down to trying to determine the number of years and amount of dollars," Jocketty said. "We're still a ways apart on both."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

They aren't going to get close. But the Reds have to at least talk about trying it so when he leaves they can say "we tried".

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    They aren't going to get close. But the Reds have to at least talk about trying it so when he leaves they can say "we tried".
    Well then lets combine all the rumors of the day and ship BPhil, Volquez, and OF Welinton Ramirez to the Phillies for Hamels and Utley.

He may be the face of the franchise now but quite quickly one can become the 'boat anchor around the payroll' face.
    Go Gators!

It's comments like these that make me willing to sign him 6 years 65 million:

Brandon Phillips had no new updates about the ongoing contract negotiations between he and the Reds, but he told MLB.com's Mark Sheldon that "I just want to be here forever like my idol, Barry Larkin." Phillips tweeted on Tuesday that talks were "moving in the right direction."
    I really believe Phillips is a genuine guy, it's too bad it's so difficult to keep them around when they play well.

I've said before, I'm bullish on his ability to stay strong and effective into his mid 30's. I think he's a cut above most players in a range of abilities that will allow him to adjust and stay effective. I won't worry about production as much as payroll space if he's resigned.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    He may be the face of the franchise now but quite quickly one can become the 'boat anchor around the payroll' face.
    That's true. Cincinnati fans have a focus on who's earning what and can expect more than they can get. I think the fan base is ready for some trimming type of moves, if they prove productive. If they fail, the Reds will be called cheap idiots all over the radio. Really, all that is aside from, if the Reds are winning, everyone will be happy. I'd like to think that pitching will improve during this offseason. If they get a great young starter for under 10 million per and 2-3 years, I think it makes a lot of sense to keep Phillips around as well. He's part of the winning formula on both sides of the ball.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I've said before, I'm bullish on his ability to stay strong and effective into his mid 30's. I think he's a cut above most players in a range of abilities that will allow him to adjust and stay effective. I won't worry about production as much as payroll space if he's resigned.
    I think he's actually going to get better. Especially if they keep him in the leadoff slot. As a leadoff hitter he seems to take base stealing a little more seriously and I think that's one of the few areas he can actually improve. He's also not prone to that 'home run fever' he used to get after hitting a homer in the #4 slot...he stays within himself more and takes what is given to him. I think his hitting and baserunning will improve every year for the next 2 or 3 at least. I think we will really regret letting him go if that is what happens.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Certainly unrelated (and I did post this under the Minor League Transactions over in the other forum), but MLBTradeRumors.com reported this:

P.J. Phillips, the younger brother of Brandon Phillips, agreed to a deal with the Reds, tweets Goldstein. The younger Phillips' career never got going due to plate discipline issues.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

PJ tweets too.
    http://twitter.com/#!/404pete

404pete PJ Phillips
    Thanks to everyone Congratulating me on signing with the Reds... I always dreamed to play wit @DatDudeBP.... #BlessingsComesToThoseWhoWait

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Trying to give Brandon more incentive to stay?

Turn Off Ads?