Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball expands the playoffs

Baseball expands the playoffs

http://http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7246443/houston-astros-sale-approved-mlb

Baseball has announced starting at least by 2013 and possibly next year 2 extra wild card teams will be added to each league and will have an extra one game playoff.

I don't like this move. I thought the number of playoffs teams was perfect like it was.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball expands the playoffs

I will side with Bud on this that it will be dramatic. I'll be upset if the Reds finish in the wild card and get bumped though.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Not two each league, just two extra teams period, one in each league. then the now total of 2 wildcard teams play each other in a one game playoffs to see who moves on to the division series. makes winning the division much more important.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

....What I hear is that each league will have two wild card teams and those two teams will play each other in a one game playoff for the right to face the division champs.

I think it's a nose under the tent type more till they have a 5 game wildcard playin series followed by two 7 game series for the right to play in the 7 game league champ series that will decide who gets to play in the 7 game world series.

More baseball in November.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

I like it!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I'm in favor of throwing Montreal and San Diego out of the league and going back to 1968.

It was much simpler then. NL champ plays AL champ.

Now get off my lawn.
    sorry we're boring

Well they had to find a way to make 100% certain that the Yankees and Red Sox make the playoffs every single year.

Baseball looks more and more like the NBA every year.

I guess baseball likes having second place teams winning the championship. Now even third place teams can win the World Series! What a joke. Why play 162 games to determine who the best teams are if you are going to let 1/3 of the league into the playoffs anyway? It really diminishes the accomplishment of making the playoffs if it is so easy to do.

It used to be a great thrill to make the postseason. It meant you had a great season that you will always remember. Now making the playoffs will be humdrum because it was so easy and you still have a long way to go to win the championship.

Pennant races used to be thrilling over a period of several weeks because it was all on the line as two or more teams battled it out for a big chance to win a rare World Series. Now there will be no such thing as a pennant race. September games will be meaningless for the good teams. The only thing that will matter is watching to see which two mediocre teams will squeak their pathetic way into a bloated postseason tournament.

Maybe next they will add a 24 second "pitch clock" between pitches. Maybe they will add a commercial after every out is made. Maybe they will add advertising on helmets and uniforms. Maybe all scoring plays should be automatically reviewed in the booth. Maybe players should be fined for breaking up a double play or throwing a brushback pitch. Maybe they should add a 20 minute halftime in the 5th inning. Maybe they should invite every team to the postseason for a single-elimination "March Madness" style tournament instead of having playoff series. Maybe after a run is scored the runner can attempt an extra point home run derby style.

This is a GREAT move. This actually increases the importance of the regular season. The only complaint is that it's a 1-game series. I'd kind of like a best-of-3, but that's not a huge dealbreaker for me.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I guess baseball likes having second place teams winning the championship. Now even third place teams can win the World Series! What a joke. Why play 162 games to determine who the best teams are if you are going to let 1/3 of the league into the playoffs anyway? It really diminishes the accomplishment of making the playoffs if it is so easy to do.
    Thank you.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

trf slowly backs up off AD's lawn....
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Well they had to find a way to make 100% certain that the Yankees and Red Sox make the playoffs every single year.

Baseball looks more and more like the NBA every year.

It used to be a great thrill to make the postseason. It meant you had a great season that you will always remember. Now making the playoffs will be humdrum because it was so easy and you still have a long way to go to win the championship.

Pennant races used to be thrilling over a period of several weeks because it was all on the line as two or more teams battled it out for a big chance to win a rare World Series. Now there will be no such thing as a pennant race. September games will be meaningless for the good teams. The only thing that will matter is watching to see which two mediocre teams will squeak their pathetic way into a bloated postseason tournament.

Maybe next they will add a 24 second "pitch clock" between pitches. Maybe they will add a commercial after every out is made. Maybe they will add advertising on helmets and uniforms. Maybe all scoring plays should be automatically reviewed in the booth. Maybe players should be fined for breaking up a double play or throwing a brushback pitch. Maybe they should add a 20 minute halftime in the 5th inning. Maybe they should invite every team to the postseason for a single-elimination "March Madness" style tournament instead of having playoff series. Maybe after a run is scored the runner can attempt an extra point home run derby style.
    I think it will be pretty odd for a 3rd place team to make it. I like it. Puts a premium on winning the division, and puts a premium on having the best record in the league. A cool extra twist would be to let the top team pick their opponent. That way a team doesn't have a motivation to lose and avoid the 2nd best team in the playoffs as some were suggesting was going on with this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    trf slowly backs up off AD's lawn....
    Wise move partner!

I must be half your age, because some of these ideas sound really awesome dude!!!!
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Actually to expand on my thought. This accomplishes two goals, increases the number of teams in the playoffs and decreases the chances that a wild card wins the World Series. While there will be two wild cards, in reality only one will proceed to the stage where one wild card team has always played. So whatever disadvantage exists from having to play a one game playoff, Baseball has added that disadvantage and given the wild card team no advantage to balance it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I think it will be pretty odd for a 3rd place team to make it. I like it. Puts a premium on winning the division, and puts a premium on having the best record in the league. A cool extra twist would be to let the top team pick their opponent. That way a team doesn't have a motivation to lose and avoid the 2nd best team in the playoffs as some were suggesting was going on with this year.
    If they had this new system in place this season the Red Sox would have made the playoffs despite finishing in 3rd place.

Turn Off Ads?