Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Birthdays: 11/17

  1. #1
    Member chicoruiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,716

    Birthdays: 11/17

    Reds:

    Darnell McDonald (33) -Seems to have found a home in Boston. Good for him.

    Tom Seaver (67) -I read that he's the only member of the Hall Of Fame who's wearing a Mets cap on his plaque. Can this be true?

    Orlando Pena (78) -Reds reliever in the late '50s who went on to play 14 seasons in the bigs. I had his baseball card one year and he looked 78 back then; Lord knows what he looks like now.

    Others:

    Ryan Braun (28) -Highlight of his career so far? Probably shooting a commercial with Marisa Miller.

    Mitch Williams (47) - Right after his retirement, he opened a bowling alley. In 1996, some TV producers set up a bowling match between Mitch and Joe Carter, in remembrance of their confrontation in the 1993 World Series. Mitch bragged that since he owned an alley and practiced every day he would dominate. Carter, who was an excellent bowler, rolled a strike between his legs on the first ball and went on to defeat Williams handily.

    Gary Bell (75) Three-time all-star best remembered now as a character in Ball Four.

    George Stallings -Manager of the 1914 miracle Boston Braves and a lot of other good teams.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,085

    Re: Birthdays: 11/17

    I think you may be correct about Seaver and his HOF plaque. I doubt Nolan Ryan used a Met cap on his plaque. I can't think of anyone else who may have. When Gooden and Strawberry were in their prime I would have thought they were shoo-ins for the HOF. But they just couldn't stay away from that drug habit.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  4. #3
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Aurora, IN
    Posts
    15,039

    Re: Birthdays: 11/17

    Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Reds:

    Darnell McDonald (33) -Seems to have found a home in Boston. Good for him.

    Tom Seaver (67) -I read that he's the only member of the Hall Of Fame who's wearing a Mets cap on his plaque. Can this be true?

    Orlando Pena (78) -Reds reliever in the late '50s who went on to play 14 seasons in the bigs. I had his baseball card one year and he looked 78 back then; Lord knows what he looks like now.
    Adding Ray Lamanno...a catcher for the Reds in 1941 and 1942. Then served in the US Navy '43 thru '45. Returned to play '46 thru '48. He was part of the 1946 All-Star squad and he caught Ewell Blackwell's no-hitter in 1947.

  5. #4
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,232

    Re: Birthdays: 11/17

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I think you may be correct about Seaver and his HOF plaque. I doubt Nolan Ryan used a Met cap on his plaque. I can't think of anyone else who may have. When Gooden and Strawberry were in their prime I would have thought they were shoo-ins for the HOF. But they just couldn't stay away from that drug habit.
    Agreed on Gooden & Strawberry, just a shame.

    As for other Mets in the Hall....

    Casey Stengel
    George Weiss
    Ralph Kiner
    Gary Carter

    I'm assuming Carter is wearing an expo hat. No clue on the other 3 as they weren't inducted as players but broadcasters/management (as far as the Mets are concerned...obviously Kiner's in there for his play with the Pirates). Do those guys even wear hats in the hall?
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 11-17-2012 at 10:47 AM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  6. #5
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,085

    Re: Birthdays: 11/17

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Agreed on Gooden & Strawberry, just a shame.

    As for other Mets in the Hall....

    Casey Stengel
    George Weiss
    Ralph Kiner
    Gary Carter

    I'm assuming Carter is wearing an expo hat. No clue on the other 3 as they weren't inducted as players but broadcasters/management (as far as the Mets are concerned...obviously Kiner's in there for his play with the Pirates). Do those guys even wear hats in the hall?
    Yes they wear hats except for the executives like Weiss. Carter is an Expo. I'm sure Kiner is a Pirate in the HOF and Stengel is a Yankee.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  7. #6
    Pagan/Asatru Ravenlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Williamsburg, OH and the wilds.
    Posts
    8,994

    Re: Birthdays: 11/17

    Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Mitch Williams (47) - Right after his retirement, he opened a bowling alley. In 1996, some TV producers set up a bowling match between Mitch and Joe Carter, in remembrance of their confrontation in the 1993 World Series. Mitch bragged that since he owned an alley and practiced every day he would dominate. Carter, who was an excellent bowler, rolled a strike between his legs on the first ball and went on to defeat Williams handily.
    that's just wonderful.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop


    yes, this really is how we make our living.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25