Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Syracuse assistant coach being investigated on molestation...

Re: Syracuse assistant coach being investigated on molestation...

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I saw the two guys on ESPN this morning. They seemed genuine. I honestly can't think of one reason why they would lie about this. They looked miserable and embarrassed talking about it.

And why did Boeheim come out and say it's a lie? He doesn't know that. Why is he saying anything at this point?
    Did they say why they're coming out with it now?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Did they say why they're coming out with it now?
    Yes, I heard the older step-brother say something along the lines that they came out because they don't want any more of this type to stuff to happen to other kids. They kept their mouths shut for various reasons, but after Penn St. situation came out they decided to come out too to try and stop this. They fear that a lot more of this stuff is happening. And they're probably right.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Additionally, the younger brother came out with this is about 8 years and it sounded like no one believed him at the time, or they didn't have any evidence to prove it.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Haunted by walks

Here's some background from The Post-Standard in Syracuse:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...told_post.html

And why the newspaper didn't publish the story in 2003:

http://blog.syracuse.com/opinion/201...fine_stor.html

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...on-allegations

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Syracuse University fired associate head basketball coach Bernie Fine on Sunday in the wake of an investigation of child molestation allegations against him.

"At the direction of Chancellor Cantor, Bernie Fine's employment with Syracuse University has been terminated, effective immediately," Kevin Quinn, the school's senior vice president for public affairs, said in a statement.

The 65-year-old Fine was in his 36th season at his alma mater. He had the longest active streak of consecutive seasons at one school among assistant coaches in Division I.

Fine's firing comes in the wake of new revelations Sunday, including a third accuser. Syracuse had placed Fine on paid administrative leave when accusations first surfaced.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

And why did Boeheim come out and say it's a lie? He doesn't know that. Why is he saying anything at this point?
    Boeheim now apologizes for saying something. I hope he doesn't get dragged into this mess.

http://http://content.usatoday.com/c...terstitialskip

"It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open ones mouth and remove all doubt" **- Mark Twain (attributed)

Nothing EVER good comes out and saying anything in a case such as this. I too hope Boeheim isn't drugged into this.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Too late. Boeheim already dragged himself into it.

Should ESPN bear any culpability?

http://www.9wsyr.com/sports/content/...osOS8_57g.cspx

They sat on the tape for 9 years!!

Boeheim now apologizes for saying something. I hope he doesn't get dragged into this mess.

http://http://content.usatoday.com/c...terstitialskip
    Sorry, but what Boeheim did is pure damage control. He stood behind Fine when the story first broke. Now that there is legitimate proof, he is doing everything he can to cover his butt.

I don't think this story is over.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Sorry, but what Boeheim did is pure damage control. He stood behind Fine when the story first broke. Now that there is legitimate proof, he is doing everything he can to cover his butt.

I don't think this story is over.
    If the one story was true that Boeheim would go and check on Fine and the one victim on team trips then he should have had the mindset to not say anything. He put himself out there on a branch too far I believe given the current situation at Penn State.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

It will prove interesting what happens with recruits as this festers.

Will Boheim be tagged (unfairly, IMO) as culpable to the molestation, or will he (more fairly, IMO) be considered untrustworthy with 18-year-olds?

I suspect his recruiting will suffer a great deal, especially as other coaches use it against him. (And many will. It's amazing what you hear on the recruiting trail.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    It will prove interesting what happens with recruits as this festers.

Will Boheim be tagged (unfairly, IMO) as culpable to the molestation, or will he (more fairly, IMO) be considered untrustworthy with 18-year-olds?

I suspect his recruiting will suffer a great deal, especially as other coaches use it against him. (And many will. It's amazing what you hear on the recruiting trail.)
    I am somewhat amazed that people are treating Boehiem differently from Joe Pa. The same conclusions made about Paterno can be made about Boeheim. People said that Joe Pa was the PSU, you can say the same thing about Boeheim. If the police came to Syracuse they would have come to Boehiem, right? That is what we said about Joe Pa.

I have to think that all the assumptions made about what the head of a program should know have to be the same with Boeheim and Paterno.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I am somewhat amazed that people are treating Boehiem differently from Joe Pa. The same conclusions made about Paterno can be made about Boeheim. People said that Joe Pa was the PSU, you can say the same thing about Boeheim. If the police came to Syracuse they would have come to Boehiem, right? That is what we said about Joe Pa.

I have to think that all the assumptions made about what the head of a program should know have to be the same with Boeheim and Paterno.
    One big difference is that there has been no indication that someone told Boeheim what was going on with Fine. Also I don't believe any of this took place on the Syracuse campus much less the athletic facilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    One big difference is that there has been no indication that someone told Boeheim what was going on with Fine. Also I don't believe any of this took place on the Syracuse campus much less the athletic facilities.
    Except an investigation that happened by the Syracuse police.

I guess my point is there were a lot of assumptions made about Paterno that seem apt for Boeheim. Like if it happened within the PSU football program Paterno had to know. The same can be said about Boeheim and the Syracuse basketball program. Were talking about very good friends of both coaches who had investigations into child molestation in the past. If you assume that Paterno knew everything that happened in the PSU football program then you would have to assume that Boeheim knew what went on in the Syracuse basketball program, right?

Turn Off Ads?