Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Syracuse assistant coach being investigated on molestation...

Re: Syracuse assistant coach being investigated on molestation...

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open ones mouth and remove all doubt" **- Mark Twain (attributed)

Nothing EVER good comes out and saying anything in a case such as this. I too hope Boeheim isn't drugged into this.
    If he knew anything about this and didn't do anything then I hope he is dragged into this as much as JoePa was. I hope he didn't know but if he then I have no sympathy for him.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    If he knew anything about this and didn't do anything then I hope he is dragged into this as much as JoePa was. I hope he didn't know but if he then I have no sympathy for him.
    Thats the side I'm on. I don't think Boeheim knew because even the one victim said that he had never told Boeheim and told the one occassion that Boeheim knocked on the door and the assistant sprang to the door to keep Boeheim from seeing/suspecting anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

This is a point where I get really confused....

ESPN and The Post Standard both had investigations into this in 2002/2003. The University said three days ago that if the phone conversation had arisen in their investigation, in 2005!, that Fine would have been fired then.

Why did the University not investigate this until 2-3 years AFTER a local paper and a national news source did? Something doesn't add up.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

ESPN and The Post Standard both had investigations into this in 2002/2003. The University said three days ago that if the phone conversation had arisen in their investigation, in 2005!, that Fine would have been fired then.

Why did the University not investigate this until 2-3 years AFTER a local paper and a national news source did? Something doesn't add up.
    Maybe they move at the pace of the NCAA and thats why it took so long? Maybe no one made mention to them in 2003?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Maybe they move at the pace of the NCAA and thats why it took so long? Maybe no one made mention to them in 2003?
    You are telling me that two news sources were investigation child molestation charges of a high profile University employee and they didn't approach the University?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Simple, Davis never reported it to the University. After his initial setbacks with the Syracuse Police, Davis got discouraged and went to the papers instead of going to the University. He felt that Syracuse was going to gloss over it the same way the police did.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Thats the side I'm on. I don't think Boeheim knew because even the one victim said that he had never told Boeheim and told the one occassion that Boeheim knocked on the door and the assistant sprang to the door to keep Boeheim from seeing/suspecting anything.
    From the article starting this thread: "Davis said Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim saw him in Fine's hotel room on several of those road trips, but Davis said he never told Boeheim about the alleged abuse," and, He said that Boeheim knew he was traveling on the road and sleeping in Fine's room.

"Boeheim saw me with Bernie all the time in the hotel rooms, on road trips," Davis said. "He'd come in, and see me laying in the bed, kind of glance at me like, 'What are you doing here?' But he wouldn't say that. He'd just scowl. And I would look at him like, I'd be nervous. I felt embarrassed 'cause I felt stupid that I'm there. I'm not supposed to be here. I know it, and Boeheim's not stupid."

Boeheim denied seeing Davis in Fine's room.

"He makes the point that he was around and traveling with the team," Boeheim said. "Not that I know of. I never saw him. He is quoted -- (that) I saw him in the room. I have never been in Bernie Fine's room in my life. That is an outright lie."

Reading that article and Boeheim's comments make his retraction later ring very, very hollow. What I am suspecting is that he took a "don't know, don't wanna know" position, meaning he really didn't see or come into any direct evidence, but surely had an uneasy feeling with a young man in his room. I think Boeheim will be very fortunate to keep his job, as well.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Boheim is on record as saying he never ever goes to an asst coaches room, he always has a team manager knock on the coaches door and bring him to where Boheim is staying at in the team hotel if he needs to talk with that coach. Also from reports I heard Davis has stated that Boheim was unaware that he was travelling with Fine on the road.

Edit: Davis does contend that Boheim saw him in the hotel room on several occasions but he never told the coach about the abuse.
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 12-02-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Boheim is on record as saying he never ever goes to an asst coaches room, he always has a team manager knock on the coaches door and bring him to where Boheim is staying at in the team hotel if he needs to talk with that coach. Also from reports I heard Davis has stated that Boheim was unaware that he was travelling with Fine on the road.
    The report above says the exact opposite. After that phone call tape, I'm seeing Davis as a credible witness, just like the Syracuse leadership did. That brings into question Boeheim's credibility on this issue, esp. with his lame retraction now in view. I'm predicting that what I quoted above will end up being true and Boeheim will be coaching legend #2 to fall for not holding a pervert assistant accountable.

One of the problems I have with this whole entire story is why ESPN can be all over Penn State for not doing what is morally right but when given a tape alleging abuse they sat on it, now they are hiding behind the cloak of we did what was legally right.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    One of the problems I have with this whole entire story is why ESPN can be all over Penn State for not doing what is morally right but when given a tape alleging abuse they sat on it, now they are hiding behind the cloak of we did what was legally right.
    ESPN claimed they did not move forward for lack of corroborating evidence. I can appreciate that, since these are very serious charges and they would be exposed to litigation by Fine if these were attention or money seeking allegations. And it is corroborating evidence that keeps the child molesters going. There is shame involved, they are threatened by the molesters if they speak up, and then there is always the initial credibility issues, especially if it is someone who doesn't profile "child molester."

Please don't take this as a defense of ESPN, but I think they have a valid argument. In comparison to JoePa, he had an adult tell him what he saw in 2002 and the sudden firing as an assistant prior to that tells me he had a lot more than ESPN did to take action.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    ESPN claimed they did not move forward for lack of corroborating evidence. I can appreciate that, since these are very serious charges and they would be exposed to litigation by Fine if these were attention or money seeking allegations. And it is corroborating evidence that keeps the child molesters going. There is shame involved, they are threatened by the molesters if they speak up, and then there is always the initial credibility issues, especially if it is someone who doesn't profile "child molester."

Please don't take this as a defense of ESPN, but I think they have a valid argument. In comparison to JoePa, he had an adult tell him what he saw in 2002 and the sudden firing as an assistant prior to that tells me he had a lot more than ESPN did to take action.
    Agreed here completely.

Turn Off Ads?