Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Changes made to Type A Free Agents in new CBA

Changes made to Type A Free Agents in new CBA

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/1...medium=twitter

Under the new CBA, teams that sign the remaining Type A relievers will not be forced to surrender draft picks, a source tells Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). The teams that sign those relievers and certain other Type A free agents will not forfeit draft picks but the teams that lose those players will still receive compensatory picks (from Twitter).

This means teams can sign Ryan Madson, Francisco Rodriguez, Heath Bell, and other top relievers this offseason without penalty. The measure is not retroactive, however, meaning that the Phillies will still surrender their first-round pick for signing Jonathan Papelbon. For a full list of this offseason's free agents, including their Type A/B designation, check out MLBTR's free agent tracker.

Furthermore, the new CBA will do away with the Elias rankings altogether starting next season, Rosenthal tweets. Under the new system, the top free agents will be subject to compensation if teams make them qualifying offers north of $12MM.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Changes made to Type A Free Agents in new CBA

Does this change anyones mind about offering arbitration to COCO or to Hernandez?

I was hoping they'd actually fix the silly formula Elias uses to calculate the types.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Does this change anyones mind about offering arbitration to COCO or to Hernandez?
    No. Coco makes way too much and an arb offer would have to be too high. IMO, Hernandez will get more for 1 year in an arb award than he would for 2 years as a FA. I'd guess an arb award would be about $5 Million while a market value contract would be somewhere in the $4 to $5 Million range for 2 years.

If money is the only factor for Ramon, I can't see a scenario where accepting arb wouldn't be his best option.

Even if the money was a non-factor, I think the Reds are better off with in house guys than they would be with either of these guys on the roster. Removing these two is the main source of payflex for 2012 and is what will enable the team to add a starter if they can make a deal. If these guys are back, I don't see the Reds accepting any deal for a starter even if its one sided in the Reds' favor because they won't be able to fit the guy they get in the budget.

As far as draft picks are concerned, I don't see the Reds ever receivng draft picks because I'd guess an arb offer would get a quick yes from both of these guys.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

So a little bit of patience may have helped the Phillies a bit. I guess if they think he's the guy they wanted, it was worth it, but just another week or so would have saved them a pick

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    So a little bit of patience may have helped the Phillies a bit. I guess if they think he's the guy they wanted, it was worth it, but just another week or so would have saved them a pick
    Might have cost them their first option too.

It solidifies the fact that the Reds should offer Hernandez arb. A team won't be scared to sign him now. I still would not offer CoCo arb.

However, in general, I don't like this new rule. This benefits the Yankees and the Red Sox of the world more than it does a team like the Reds IMO.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I was hoping they'd actually fix the silly formula Elias uses to calculate the types.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...lias-used-war/

If you look at the Venn diagrams above, you’ll see that a high percentage of the Elias type A players would continue to by type A players under the WAR ranking. If you exclude RPs, then 92% of Elias type A players would be WAR type A players. This is a much higher number than I would have expected. That being said, you can see from the numbers that lie only in the blue areas that the Elias ranking misses a lot of good players – has a high type II error. Finally, the Relief Pitcher Venn diagram illustrates the huge incongruence of the WAR rankings and the Elias rankings. Of the 52 type A RPs, only one of them would be type A according to WAR. I think the WAR ranking would be a great improvement, but the Elias rankings was not as awful as I had initially thought.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It solidifies the fact that the Reds should offer Hernandez arb. A team won't be scared to sign him now. I still would not offer CoCo arb.
    Hernandez isn't a reliever thought. Has there been any mention that Hernandez is one of the Free Agents that won't require the signing team to lose a pick? I'm not saying he won't be. I just haven't seen anyone mentioned specifically except relievers.

Turn Off Ads?