Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tim Crabbe

Tim Crabbe

Doing some research on some of the Reds' lesser known prospects, paying particular attention to starting pitching, and this guy jumped out at me as someone to be optimistic about.

This kid will be 24 in February. He has good size for a pitcher at 6-4, 195. BA Ranks him as having the best slider in the system. He split 2011 between High A and Low A with most of it in High A. Overall he threw 135.2 innings in 17 starts (29 appearances). He had a combined ERA of 3.45 with a BABIP in the normal range (.310 in his 111+ IP at A+). His peripherals were pretty strong with 10 K/9 and 0.7 HR/9. Only his walks were a little high at 3.7/9, but they aren't really terrible.

In 2012 he should start out in the AA rotation and should be positioned to go 160 to 170 innings. He'll be going to what should be an easier place to pitch and I could easily see him moving up to AAA before the season is out (especially given the collection of journeyman coming off poor performances who appear to be slated for the AAA rotation) with possibly a stint in the AFL after its over. In an upper minors that looks pretty thin as far as starting pitchers go, I see this kid as a ray of hope who may be in the mix in 2013.

Does anybody have any info on him beyond the basic stuff listed here. How is his fastball? Does he have a change or some other third pitch to go with his FB and Slider? Any info on his maturity level and pitching smarts? Has he ever had any arm problems? The kid seems like a prospect to me. Based on just this information, he's in my top 20. I could easily be wrong though.

Any info would be great.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-19-2011 at 10:08 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tim Crabbe

He's been known as a hard thrower even since he was drafted. From what I recall, his fastball is plus.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

The fastball is good, sits about 92-94 and can touch up to 96 with decent movement. The third pitch is a work in progress, uses change and curve.

Intangibles are great. Incredibly smart kid that graduated college in 3 1/2 years and is a workout warrior. He didnt throw many innings according to his college stats and hasnt had any injury time so far in the farm system.

Consistency is the issue, he can be lights out one day and then implode the next. If he gets his walks down, could be solid.

Thanks for the info.

A mature kid with a mid 90s fastball and what BA calls the best slider in the system sounds like a guy who will at minimum be a solid guy in the middle of a big league bullpen. Not much discussion of him, maybe the BA Best Slider thing will give him a push.

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I had Crabbe as my 6th-rated starter behind Corcino, Stephenson, Cingrani, Lotzkar and Sulbaran. He had some tremendously dominant games last year. The report from reds12 is even more encouraging. (Nice first post, reds12.)

And Villarreal 7th, FWIW.

Crabbe is more likely a reliever than a starter, but he has two strong pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Crabbe is more likely a reliever than a starter, but he has two strong pitches.
    Why do you say he's more likely a reliever? He seems positioned well from an innings standpoint. He had a good year in a hitters paradise. Sounds like you and others think he has two strong pitches. Is his third pitch that awful?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Why do you say he's more likely a reliever? He seems positioned well from an innings standpoint. He had a good year in a hitters paradise. Sounds like you and others think he has two strong pitches. Is his third pitch that awful?
    The reports I have on him suggests he needs another pitch to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The reports I have on him suggests he needs another pitch to work with.
    Paging Mr. Soto! Will Mr. Mario Soto pick-up the Red courtesy phone please?

You have more info than I do, so its disappointing. I really don't see much at either AA or AAA this year as far as starting pitching goes. Crabbe was the guy I was most hopeful about, though Sulbaran looks similar on paper. Maybe Matt Fairel will come back strong.

Paging Mr. Soto! Will Mr. Mario Soto pick-up the Red courtesy phone please?

You have more info than I do, so its disappointing. I really don't see much at either AA or AAA this year as far as starting pitching goes. Crabbe was the guy I was most hopeful about, though Sulbaran looks similar on paper. Maybe Matt Fairel will come back strong.
    There is always a chance that something comes along. I have heard talk of a split finger with Crabbe, but haven't seen that pitch yet.

He began the year in the bullpen in Dayton and then ended up being the best starter in Bakersfield by the end of the year, so it looks like either option is a possibility moving forward. Again its the location and consistency on that 3rd pitch that need to come around. Sometimes his walks came in bunches, but it will be interesting to see how he fares if he can improve in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by reds12 View Post
    He began the year in the bullpen in Dayton and then ended up being the best starter in Bakersfield by the end of the year, so it looks like either option is a possibility moving forward. Again its the location and consistency on that 3rd pitch that need to come around. Sometimes his walks came in bunches, but it will be interesting to see how he fares if he can improve in that department.
    So exactly what is the 3rd pitch he's trying to throw? A change? A curve? A forkball? I'm guessing change. Doug says he hasn't seen the split, so I assume he's not trotted it out in a game, but maybe that's it and I'm not reading it corrrectly.

Oops. Reread the earlier post where you said Change and Curve. Sorry!

Hopefully that change will come along. Sometimes that takes a while.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-20-2011 at 01:44 AM.

So exactly what is the 3rd pitch he's trying to throw? A change? A curve? A forkball? I'm guessing change. Doug says he hasn't seen the split, so I assume he's not trotted it out in a game, but maybe that's it and I'm not reading it corrrectly.
    I haven't seen him pitch since he was in Dayton, as a reliever, so I can't say that he hasn't thrown it in a game, just that I haven't seen it. I wasn't able to see him pitch while he was in Bakersfield.

Turn Off Ads?