Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • C Tucker Barnhart

0 0%
  • LHP Tony Cingrani

5 8.20%
  • RHP Drew Cisco

0 0%
  • UT Todd Frazier

13 21.31%
  • UT Brodie Greene

0 0%
  • SS Didi Gregorius

1 1.64%
  • LHP Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • OF Ryan LaMarre

0 0%
  • RHP Kyle Lotzkar

0 0%
  • 1B Donald Lutz

0 0%
  • OF Denis Phipps

0 0%
  • 2B Henry Rodriguez

0 0%
  • 3B Gabriel Rosa

1 1.64%
  • OF Dave Sappelt

41 67.21%
  • RHP Pedro Villarreal

0 0%
  • other (please list below)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #12 prospect?

#1 C Devin Mesoraco
    #2 1B/OF Yonder Alonso
    #3 C Yasmani Grandal
    #4 SS Billy Hamilton
    #5 SS Zack Cozart
    #6 RHP Dan Corcino
    #7 RHP Robert Stephenson
    #8 RHP Brad Boxberger
    #9 1B Neftali Soto
    #10 OF Yorman Rodriguez
    #11 2B Ron Torreyes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect?

Sappelt all the way. I can't believe he's still on the board here.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Sappelt all the way. I can't believe he's still on the board here.
    What he said.

Guy plays above average defense, makes tons of contact, has put up very strong numbers each of the last two seasons and the only wart he really has on his resume is that his throwing arm is below average. Something that is quite complimentary to ones overall game. He is an absolutely easy choice here.

I got Todd Frazier here. His trial at Cincy last year showed me he could be an effective bench player at multiple positions right now. With power. And eventually a starting player.

Given Todd's power I see more upside than with Sappelt. I see Dave as a fourth outfielder who lacks Todd's power and versatility.

Sappelt has been my pick the last few choices and I think he still will have some growth to do in Cincy that will endure him to the fans (mind you not All-Star type level but still be able to to really help out) and be a huge benefit for the Reds for years to come.

If this is not a complete run away I would be very surprised
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Juan Duran should be in the poll IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Juan Duran should be in the poll IMO.
    I forgot to add him. I'll put him in next.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I forgot to add him. I'll put him in next.
    Thanks. Duran did very well at Dayton last year and will play as a 20 year old next season.

I think his good season has gone under the radar and he should get votes very soon in this poll.

Sappelt. Still think he's gonna be a solid contributor or starter on this team in the near future, even with his weaknesses.

Also in the poll soon: Amir Garrett. He has a TOR arm, and received supplemental-type money. I like him as much, if not more than Cingrani. Sean Buckley and Ryan Wright shouldn't be ignored either.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post

Also in the poll soon: Amir Garrett. He has a TOR arm, and received supplemental-type money. I like him as much, if not more than Cingrani.
    I have to ask.... what makes you like him more than Cingrani? Cingrani has two plus pitches right now and throws harder right now. There is a lot of stuff to dream on with Garrett. Without much coaching, he is a guy with a big fastball based off of pure athletic talent. Still, ideally, we are essentially hoping that Garrett one day could become what Cingrani is right now aren't we?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have to ask.... what makes you like him more than Cingrani? Cingrani has two plus pitches right now and throws harder right now. There is a lot of stuff to dream on with Garrett. Without much coaching, he is a guy with a big fastball based off of pure athletic talent. Still, ideally, we are essentially hoping that Garrett one day could become what Cingrani is right now aren't we?
    Not really. These polls get so consumed with limited statistics that sometimes they mean very little.

Cingrani pitched well in about 50 innings at age 22 in the Pioneer League. A good start, for sure, but ultimately tells us very little.

Seems perfectly reasonable for someone to look at the physical ability of a Garrett and put him ahead of Cingrani in terms of potential.

Frankly, any comparison of guys that far away from the majors is hugely subjective. Either side of the debate is fair.

I got Todd Frazier here. His trial at Cincy last year showed me he could be an effective bench player at multiple positions right now. With power. And eventually a starting player.
    Frazier looked a little overmatched at times at the plate, and his defense at 3rd was unimpressive, IMO. Love the versatility, love the intangibles, and I hope the Reds keep him around. But I don't see him as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Not really. These polls get so consumed with limited statistics that sometimes they mean very little.

Cingrani pitched well in about 50 innings at age 22 in the Pioneer League. A good start, for sure, but ultimately tells us very little.

Seems perfectly reasonable for someone to look at the physical ability of a Garrett and put him ahead of Cingrani in terms of potential.

Frankly, any comparison of guys that far away from the majors is hugely subjective. Either side of the debate is fair.
    Is it perfectly reasonable to think that a guy is going to top a plus fastball and plus breaking ball that Cingrani already has? I get that Cingrani wasn't young, but from a pure stuff perspective, expecting a guy to come along with something better than two plus pitches seems unreasonable.

I am not worried about stats. Scouting wise, Cingrani essentially has everything we should even remotely reasonably expect Garrett to have with two plus pitches and solid control. I just can't see how the physical projection of him puts him ahead of a guy who is likely the ceiling in terms of pitches/control who has those things right now. Garrett isn't any bigger at this point (though at his age, he could grow a little bit more) than Cingrani is either.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

I am not worried about stats. Scouting wise, Cingrani essentially has everything we should even remotely reasonably expect Garrett to have with two plus pitches and solid control. I just can't see how the physical projection of him puts him ahead of a guy who is likely the ceiling in terms of pitches/control who has those things right now. Garrett isn't any bigger at this point (though at his age, he could grow a little bit more) than Cingrani is either.
    Cingrani is a slightly older prospect than others in his League. He should move quickly thru the system. That will be his test, more than his status and stats as a Rookie ball pitcher. Let's see if he does.

Turn Off Ads?