Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • C Tucker Barnhart

    0 0%
  • LHP Tony Cingrani

    5 8.20%
  • RHP Drew Cisco

    0 0%
  • UT Todd Frazier

    13 21.31%
  • UT Brodie Greene

    0 0%
  • SS Didi Gregorius

    1 1.64%
  • LHP Ismael Guillon

    0 0%
  • OF Ryan LaMarre

    0 0%
  • RHP Kyle Lotzkar

    0 0%
  • 1B Donald Lutz

    0 0%
  • OF Denis Phipps

    0 0%
  • 2B Henry Rodriguez

    0 0%
  • 3B Gabriel Rosa

    1 1.64%
  • OF Dave Sappelt

    41 67.21%
  • RHP Pedro Villarreal

    0 0%
  • other (please list below)

    0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect?

  1. #16
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,447

    Re: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Cingrani is a slightly older prospect. He should move quickly thru the system. That will be his test, more than his status as a Rookie ball pitcher. Let's see if he does.
    Two plus pitches. That has nothing to do with his age or the level he played at does it? I could care less about the numbers that he put up at this point.

    If Amir Garrett ever has two plus pitches, it will be a resounding success.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,742

    Re: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Two plus pitches. That has nothing to do with his age or the level he played at does it? I could care less about the numbers that he put up at this point.

    If Amir Garrett ever has two plus pitches, it will be a resounding success.
    We will see how plus Cingrani's pitches are against more advanced, older competition.

    I hope he is the next Koufax. We will see.

  4. #18
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,447

    Re: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    We will see how plus Cingrani's pitches are against more advanced, older competition.

    I hope he is the next Koufax. We will see.
    Scouts don't rate pitches based on what they make other hitters do against them.

  5. #19
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,435

    Re: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect?

    I think Amir Garrett is worthy of mention with the other names up there, but I don't see him getting a decent amount of votes any time soon. He'll be added reasonably soon, but I'm doubtful on the next poll.

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,705

    Re: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect?

    Odd that I have Sappelt as No. 8 on my personal list, but I still can't vote for him at No. 12. Because I had Frazier at No. 7.

    I disagree a bit with lollipop about Frazier's defense at third. I recall thinking it looked pretty solid, much like his work in left field.

    Anyway, it's encouraging that, headed into the teens, we're talking about two guys who could be significant contributors as soon as next year.

    And we haven't even discussed the guy (Barnhart) who, in one rating (if I recall correctly) was ranked as the best defensive catcher in the minor leagues. With a .344 OBP in Dayton at age 20.

  7. #21
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,447

    Re: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    And we haven't even discussed the guy (Barnhart) who, in one rating (if I recall correctly) was ranked as the best defensive catcher in the minor leagues. With a .344 OBP in Dayton at age 20.
    Barnhart was named the Rawlings Gold Glove winner at catcher for the minor leagues. They only give out on per position for the entire minor leagues, not by league or level, so it says a lot about his ability and reputation behind the plate.

  8. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,742

    Re: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect?

    As I review the list, Reds really are deep in prospects. Not sure they have many über prospects, but their twentieth guy is likely to be better than most teams' twentieth guy.

    Guys like Henry Rodriguez not even getting votes as yet. Juan Duran barely making the voting list at this point. Very deep group.

    Hope Walt figures out what to do with them all.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-20-2011 at 06:23 PM.

  9. #23
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,447

    Re: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    As I review the list, Reds really are deep in prospects. Not sure they have many über prospects, but their twentieth guy is likely to be better than most teams' twentieth guy.

    Guys like Henry Rodriguez not even getting votes as yet. Juan Duran barely making the voting list at this point. Very deep group.

    Hope Walt figures out what to do with them all.
    The depth really is impressive. Before I started doing my list for myself, I had an idea of where a lot of guys "should" be. Then I would get to that point and they weren't close.

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,742

    Re: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The depth really is impressive. Before I started doing my list for myself, I had an idea of where a lot of guys "should" be. Then I would get to that point and they weren't close.
    What's your take on Duran?

    Highly touted originally, really hit for good power at Dayton, although high strikeout number.

  11. #25
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,447

    Re: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    What's your take on Duran?

    Highly touted originally, really hit for good power at Dayton, although high strikeout number.
    He is outside of my Top 25. Love the power, a lot. He has it to all fields. But the rest of his game is so far away right now...

  12. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    962

    Re: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Two plus pitches. That has nothing to do with his age or the level he played at does it? I could care less about the numbers that he put up at this point.

    If Amir Garrett ever has two plus pitches, it will be a resounding success.
    One major difference is that Cingrani is a converted closer, and hasn't gone though a full season of minor league ball, at least in a while. I'm encouraged by what he's shown so far, but I'd like to see how his arm holds up over a full season. And at 22, he doesn't have a whole lot of time to do that before we start demanding production.

    Garrett, on the other hand, has loads of potential. Sure, he's only got one plus pitch as of right now, but he's still a kid and has plenty of time and enough athleticism to develop his other stuff. With the right coaching, he'll have better stuff all around. I think Cingrani is better thanks to what he's shown, but only slightly. And I'll be voting for him a lot sooner than a guy like Villarreal.

  13. #27
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,447

    Re: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    One major difference is that Cingrani is a converted closer, and hasn't gone though a full season of minor league ball, at least in a while. I'm encouraged by what he's shown so far, but I'd like to see how his arm holds up over a full season. And at 22, he doesn't have a whole lot of time to do that before we start demanding production.

    Garrett, on the other hand, has loads of potential. Sure, he's only got one plus pitch as of right now, but he's still a kid and has plenty of time and enough athleticism to develop his other stuff. With the right coaching, he'll have better stuff all around. I think Cingrani is better thanks to what he's shown, but only slightly. And I'll be voting for him a lot sooner than a guy like Villarreal.
    Cingani actually started for two seasons in junior college before heading to Rice, where he started 6 games his junior year. His senior year he did relieve, but I think its a stretch to say he is a converted closer because he has plenty of starting experience at the college level with 21 starts for 143.3 innings in JC and then 8 starts at Rice.

    I am with you on Garrett over Villarreal. Garrett is my #25 guy. I just think its base on a lot of dreams of what he could be one day.

  14. #28
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,583

    Re: Who is Redszone's #12 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    If this is not a complete run away I would be very surprised
    I think the poll for #13 can start today.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25