Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Birthdays: 11/21

  1. #1
    Member chicoruiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,716

    Birthdays: 11/21

    Reds:

    John Roper (40) -Part of the package the Reds sent to San Francisco for Deion Sanders.

    Ken Griffey Jr. (42) -The second-best baseball player ever born in Donora PA on November 21.

    Scott Terry (52) -Traded to the Cards for Pat Perry in possibly the only trade ever involving players whose names rhymed.

    Andy High -Played for the Reds in '32 and '33, later a long-time Brooklyn scout who signed, among others, Pee Wee Reese.

    Others:

    Bill Almon (59) -First overall pick in the 1974 draft; never became much more than a good role player.

    Stan Musial (91) -Happy 91st to The Man, possibly the classiest superstar of all. I don't do autographs, but I got Stan's when I was a little kid.

    Fred Lindstrom - 3B who got into the HOF in the mid-70s when Frankie Frisch was bringing in his old teammamtes by the carload.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,734

    Re: Birthdays: 11/21

    Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Ken Griffey Jr. (42) -The second-best baseball player ever born in Donora PA on November 21.


    Stan Musial (91) -Happy 91st to The Man, possibly the classiest superstar of all. I don't do autographs, but I got Stan's when I was a little kid.

    .
    They also share the same Bday....
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  4. #3
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Aurora, IN
    Posts
    15,047

    Re: Birthdays: 11/21

    From Wikipedia: In Musial's 3,026 major league appearances, he was never ejected from a game. Speaking about his quiet reputation within the sport's history, sportscaster Bob Costas said, "He didn't hit a homer in his last at-bat; he hit a single. He didn't hit in 56 straight games. He married his high school sweetheart and stayed married to her. ...All Musial represents is more than two decades of sustained excellence and complete decency as a human being."

  5. #4
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,192

    Re: Birthdays: 11/21

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    From Wikipedia: In Musial's 3,026 major league appearances, he was never ejected from a game. Speaking about his quiet reputation within the sport's history, sportscaster Bob Costas said, "He didn't hit a homer in his last at-bat; he hit a single. He didn't hit in 56 straight games. He married his high school sweetheart and stayed married to her. ...All Musial represents is more than two decades of sustained excellence and complete decency as a human being."
    I read Musial's biography a couple of years. The only hint of scandal was that he got his wife pregnant before they were married. Back then that would have been a big deal. Today nothing of course. He truly is a fine man who represented baseball in the most honorable ways possible.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  6. #5
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,593

    Re: Birthdays: 11/21

    Minor correction to the thread. Musial turned 92 on the 21st, not 91.

    The crazy thing about Griffey Jr. and Musial is that they were born in the same town!

    Musial is by far my favorite player in MLB history. I think he's vastly underrated by the populous and a lot of people don't know how great of a player he really was. When he retired, he held or shared 17 major league records and held or shared 29 National League records.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  7. #6
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,192

    Re: Birthdays: 11/21

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Minor correction to the thread. Musial turned 92 on the 21st, not 91.

    The crazy thing about Griffey Jr. and Musial is that they were born in the same town!

    Musial is by far my favorite player in MLB history. I think he's vastly underrated by the populous and a lot of people don't know how great of a player he really was. When he retired, he held or shared 17 major league records and held or shared 29 National League records.
    He did turn 91 when that post was originally made in 2011.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  8. #7
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,593

    Re: Birthdays: 11/21

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    He did turn 91 when that post was originally made in 2011.
    ahh my appologies.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25