Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 11/21

Birthdays: 11/21

Reds:

John Roper (40) -Part of the package the Reds sent to San Francisco for Deion Sanders.

Ken Griffey Jr. (42) -The second-best baseball player ever born in Donora PA on November 21.

Scott Terry (52) -Traded to the Cards for Pat Perry in possibly the only trade ever involving players whose names rhymed.

Andy High -Played for the Reds in '32 and '33, later a long-time Brooklyn scout who signed, among others, Pee Wee Reese.

Others:

Bill Almon (59) -First overall pick in the 1974 draft; never became much more than a good role player.

Stan Musial (91) -Happy 91st to The Man, possibly the classiest superstar of all. I don't do autographs, but I got Stan's when I was a little kid.

Fred Lindstrom - 3B who got into the HOF in the mid-70s when Frankie Frisch was bringing in his old teammamtes by the carload.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 11/21

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Ken Griffey Jr. (42) -The second-best baseball player ever born in Donora PA on November 21.

Stan Musial (91) -Happy 91st to The Man, possibly the classiest superstar of all. I don't do autographs, but I got Stan's when I was a little kid.

They also share the same Bday....
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

From Wikipedia: In Musial's 3,026 major league appearances, he was never ejected from a game. Speaking about his quiet reputation within the sport's history, sportscaster Bob Costas said, "He didn't hit a homer in his last at-bat; he hit a single. He didn't hit in 56 straight games. He married his high school sweetheart and stayed married to her. ...All Musial represents is more than two decades of sustained excellence and complete decency as a human being."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    From Wikipedia: In Musial's 3,026 major league appearances, he was never ejected from a game. Speaking about his quiet reputation within the sport's history, sportscaster Bob Costas said, "He didn't hit a homer in his last at-bat; he hit a single. He didn't hit in 56 straight games. He married his high school sweetheart and stayed married to her. ...All Musial represents is more than two decades of sustained excellence and complete decency as a human being."
    I read Musial's biography a couple of years. The only hint of scandal was that he got his wife pregnant before they were married. Back then that would have been a big deal. Today nothing of course. He truly is a fine man who represented baseball in the most honorable ways possible.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Minor correction to the thread. Musial turned 92 on the 21st, not 91.

The crazy thing about Griffey Jr. and Musial is that they were born in the same town!

Musial is by far my favorite player in MLB history. I think he's vastly underrated by the populous and a lot of people don't know how great of a player he really was. When he retired, he held or shared 17 major league records and held or shared 29 National League records.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Minor correction to the thread. Musial turned 92 on the 21st, not 91.

The crazy thing about Griffey Jr. and Musial is that they were born in the same town!

Musial is by far my favorite player in MLB history. I think he's vastly underrated by the populous and a lot of people don't know how great of a player he really was. When he retired, he held or shared 17 major league records and held or shared 29 National League records.
    He did turn 91 when that post was originally made in 2011.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    He did turn 91 when that post was originally made in 2011.
    ahh my appologies.

Turn Off Ads?