Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Garza?

Matt Garza?

MLBTR:

Cubs GM Theo Epstein will listen to offers on Matt Garza and just about anyone on his team in order to replentish his farm system.
    Thoughts? For me, seems like a few issues here. First, there's the whole intra-division trading that the Cubs (and/or Reds) might not want to engage in. Second, what type of package would we be talking about here? I'm guessing Soto, Wood, and a lower-level pitching prospect with lots of upside like Corcino might get the job done. Hamilton would and should be off limits for this deal.
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Matt Garza?

Not sure what it would take, but Garza is a guy the REDS could afford. Sure, I'd love a real TOR guy, but Garza is a solid 3/4 IMO.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Not sure what it would take, but Garza is a guy the REDS could afford. Sure, I'd love a real TOR guy, but Garza is a solid 3/4 IMO.
    Don't we already have a stable of 3/4 guys? Or maybe after last year, that perspective has changed?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

The Cubs gave up some good prospects to get Garza. It would probably take similar talent to get them to trade their best Starting Pitcher.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Don't we already have a stable of 3/4 guys? Or maybe after last year, that perspective has changed?
    Garza would be the REDS second best starting pitcher, I'd think.

Cueto
    Garza
    Leake
    Bailey
    Arroyo.

With Chapman as a wildcard.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

He's much more than a 3 or especially a 4, IMO. He misses a good number of bats and pitches 200 innings almost every year. I'd say he'd be a #2 on most team not named The Phillies or Giants and a #1 on several.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

"So Fla Red"

The second wild card makes the intradivision concern a bit less of a barrier. Especially for creative and good GM's like Epstein. Finding a #1 or #2 starter this offseason is priority 1a and 1b...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Thoughts? For me, seems like a few issues here. First, there's the whole intra-division trading that the Cubs (and/or Reds) might not want to engage in. Second, what type of package would we be talking about here? I'm guessing Soto, Wood, and a lower-level pitching prospect with lots of upside like Corcino might get the job done. Hamilton would and should be off limits for this deal.
    If that's all it would take, I'd do that deal in a second (Soto+Wood for Garza). My guess is it would take substantially more, especially to keep him in the division.
    Go BLUE!!!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If that's all it would take, I'd do that deal in a second (Soto+Wood for Garza). My guess is it would take substantially more, especially to keep him in the division.
    Agreed. I'd do Wood and Soto in a heartbeat for Garza, but the Cubs would be dumb to not ask for more.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Garza? Heck yeah, if the price is right. Theo is smart, so he'll want a lot for him.

What's he worth if he goes to arbitration?

I also agree with oneupper that he'd be at least our 2nd best starter. I actually think he'd be a good one to lock down for a few years.

Yes please. If he's available, he's the best guy on the market. Way better than CJ Wilson IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

He is arb eligible right now according to Cot's. Probably going to command a hefty pay raise. Reds would have to trade players/prospects and buy out his 2 remaining arb years to make the deal worth it.

But the dude had a 3.32 e.r.a. with all the other categories respectable. Pitchers like him are worth it. But the Reds don't seem to go after guys like this typically.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Mlb trade rumors saying Yankees are interested in trading for Garza.

Cubs Open For Business On Matt Garza
    By Tim Dierkes [November 28 at 1:54pm CST]
    Teams have a clear belief that the Cubs are open for business on starter Matt Garza, tweets ESPN's Buster Olney. Some teams expect Garza to be dealt this winter. Earlier this month, USA Today's Bob Nightengale wrote that the Cubs are willing to listen on everyone.

Garza, 28, moved to the National League this year and posted career-bests with a 3.32 ERA and 197 strikeouts. He's under team control for 2012 and '13, and MLBTR projects a salary around $8.7MM for '12.

The Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays, three of teams that had no access to acquiring Garza when he pitched for the Rays in the AL East, figure to inquire with Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer this winter. The Rangers, Rockies, Marlins, Angels, Nationals, Reds, and Dodgers could be other interested parties, and the Twins certainly know Garza well having drafted him in '05.

What will it take to acquire Garza? The Cubs' farm system is light on top-shelf young pitching, based on rankings from Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus. With Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, and Martin Perez, the Yankees and Rangers' top arms could be of particular interest to the Cubs.
    I'd offer Corcino, Wood, and one of the Dragon hitters, and see where things go from there.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'd love to get Garza.. I also agree that Garza is at least a #2 pitcher.. Geez, if Garza is a 3/4 type pitcher, than at least 80% of starting pitchers are #5's

IMO, a #2 pitcher means he's in the top 40% of starting pitchers.. He clearly is.
    I can understand how some people could say that a #1 has to be one of the top dozen pitchers in the game, but IMO it's not right to call Garza a #3 pitcher.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?