Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds Shopping Alonso

-The Insider-

Reds Shopping Alonso

Here we go:

The Reds are offering Yonder Alonso as trade bait in their search for a closer or a No. 2 starter, reports Yahoo Sports' Tim Brown. Reds GM Walt Jocketty has spoken to several teams --- including the A's, Blue Jays, Indians and Rays --- about Alonso, though we heard earlier this week that the Reds thought Alonso was too much to give up for Oakland closer Andrew Bailey.

Alonso is regarded as Cincinnati's top hitting prospect, if one without a Major League position since Joey Votto is cemented at first base. The 24-year-old has an OPS of .837 in four minor league seasons and hit .330/.398/.545 in 98 plate appearances with the Reds last year.

If the Reds were willing to move him, you would think Alonso would be too much to deal for any closer, not just Bailey. Jocketty has said his club's top priority is finding a starting pitcher this offseason, so while the Jays and Indians have some good young arms, they wouldn't be willing to deal a top-of-the-rotation caliber of starter for which the Reds are looking. The Jays and Tribe also have other options at first base, though Adam Lind, Edwin Encarnacion and Matt LaPorta wouldn't be major obstacles if Toronto or Cleveland had a legitimate shot at Alonso. The A's and Reds might not be a match on Bailey, but Jocketty might deem possibly-available pitchers like Gio Gonzalez or Trevor Cahill worthy of moving Alonso.

The most logical match would appear to be Tampa Bay, who has a big hole at first base, lots of pitching and a need for a controllable young talent like Alonso. The Rays could offer Wade Davis or Jeff Niemann, though the Reds are more likely looking for a pitcher like James Shields.
    (Obviously David Price and Jeremy Hellickson are staying put.)

I have been saying that for two years...

Deal Yonder, Grandal and a third piece (Francisco?) for Shields and one of Farnsworth/McGee/Howell.
    Last edited by cinreds21; 11-25-2011 at 02:21 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Shopping Alonso

The Reds should settle for nothing less than a pitcher equivalent to Shields for Alonso. And, Walt should be more than willing to enter 2012 with Alonso as the starting left fielder unless a team is willing to meet the Reds' needs. There is not a closer with a last name other than "Feliz" that we should even consider trading an offensive goliath like Yonder Alonso for, even on a bad day.

There is still more than enough talent in this organization to win the division in 2012 without doing anything desperate.

-The Insider-

I agree. I would be OK if they did a package for Bailey and Gio. It'd be a big package though and may be too much.

-The Insider-

And another thing, I don't see how another starter is going to fit if Chapman goes into the rotation. Even if they get rid of Volquez and trade/option Wood, they still have five starters. Maybe Aroldis is hurt and they just haven't disclosed it.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    And another thing, I don't see how another starter is going to fit if Chapman goes into the rotation. Even if they get rid of Volquez and trade/option Wood, they still have five starters. Maybe Aroldis is hurt and they just haven't disclosed it.
    Well, they did shut him down in the AFL... disturbing news if he is going to be a starter no matter how you slice it.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    Well, they did shut him down in the AFL... disturbing news if he is going to be a starter no matter how you slice it.
    Exactly. I wonder if it's worse than they've let on. Probably so.

I'm quite concerned if the claim is true of trying to trade Alonso for a closer. I'm hoping that's a a misstatement. I have no issue dealing Alonso, but let's at least get similar value. Shields is a good target. Under control for 3 more years to reasonable money. But it would probably take 1 more prospect. Who though?

Cahill was much worse on the road than at comfy Oakland and his second half was horrible. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with him. Gio walks the ballpark and looks a lot like Volquez from here. He did OK on the road, so maybe GABP wouldn't be horrible for him, but I'm not sure he's the guy I'd be after either. With Anderson and Braden hurt, I don't think I'd pull the trigger with the A's unless its for a lesser player. I might be willing to do something like Stubbs straight up for Cahill or Gonzalez, but I'm sure they'd be looking for more. I'd add in Volquez and that's about it and even at that, I'd probably want another role player back.

In Toronto, Ricky Romero would be great, but I'd guess they want Votto and not Alonso. Brandon Morrow has had xFIP numbers in the 3.50 Range the last 2 years even though his ERA has been over a run higher. A deal involving Alonso for Morrow would be great, but I'm sure the Reds would need to add more. The Jays are looking to add an arm. I'm not sure I get why they would be willing to deal a starter who is better than a question mark for offense. But if a deal involving say Alonso, Volquez and stuff for Morrow could be made, it would be a good move for the Reds.

In Cleveland, Alonso for Justin Masterson would be a pretty good deal, but again, I'm not sure why the Indians would do that. Maybe if they got Wood or Volquez too.

Like most of the board, IMO, the deal that makes the most sense is with TB for James Shields. He's the kind of arm the rotation needs and would be worthy of an Alonso, Grandal and stuff package. I'm guessing the Rays are offering Jeff Niemann for Alonso straight up. Niemann had a decent year, but finished with back problems that limited him to 135 IP and was left off the play-off roster. Too questionable for me. The other guy they may offer is Wade Davis and he's no better than a number 4 who can give innings. The Reds need to aim higher.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-25-2011 at 07:14 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    The Reds should settle for nothing less than a pitcher equivalent to Shields for Alonso.
    As mush as I like Alonso, and think he has a bright future, he still hasn't proven anything yet, other then high expectations. Shields on the other hand....

http://www.draysbay.com/2011/7/22/22...-james-shields

Teams are going to be going after Shields in the off-season. And the Reds are going to have to make a very lucrative offer (package deal) to possibly get him IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

- How about

(With TB)

Yonder Alonso
    Yasmani Grandal,
    Drew Stubbs
    Edinson Volquez
    Nick Massett

for

James Shields
    BJ Upton
    Wade Davis
    Jake McGee

(With BOS)

Bronson Arroyo
    Carlos Fisher

for

Kevin Youkilis

(With CLE)

Travis Wood

for

Chin Soo Choo

(With OAK)

Homer Bailey
    Yorman Rodriguez
    Kyle Lotzkar (or)JC Sulbaran

For

Andrew Bailey
    Trevor Cahill

1B Votto/Youkilis
    2B Phillips/Janish
    SS Cozart/(Janish)
    3B Rolen/Francisco
    LF Choo/Heisey
    CF Upton/Sappelt
    RF Bruce/(Heisey)
    CA Mesaraco/Hannigan

Shields
    Cueto
    Chapman
    Leake
    Cahill/Davis
    Lecure
    Ondruzek/Arredondo
    Bray
    Boxberger
    McGee
    Bailey

OK...not likely, but I couldn't sleep and I was bored.

Choo for Woods would be a chinsationally sooper deal.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I agree. I would be OK if they did a package for Bailey and Gio. It'd be a big package though and may be too much.
    That could happen if the Reds send a pitching prospect in return.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

My biggest thing I took from this..... On what planet is a #2 starter of similar value to a closer?

I don't have a huge issue with trading Alonso, as I don't see him as an untouchable by simple nature that he is a first baseman, but I wouldn't trade him for a closer, at least not straight up. Even someone like David Robertson, I would want more (I know that trade wouldn't work because the Yankees don't need Alonso, just throwing out a dominant reliever name here).

I think many folks here would consider it to be a big surprise for Chapman to be in the starting rotation. Even if he does and very successful he will have to be shut down at the AS break if they follow there innings rule. I can see Chapman in the pen next year unless something drastic happens, but as the team is now we have 7 or so starters that are ready to go a full year if healthy. It's going to be interesting.

If Alonso for Cahill or Gio sounds like a great idea, I'm not sure why surplus for Fister wasnt an incredibly awesome idea at last year's trade deadline.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?