Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: BCS blather

BCS blather

To roll a grenade into the room....

I'd love to see LSU lose to Arkansas or the SEC championship game and see the BCS system get throw into an absolute tizz and hear what the BCS apologists have to say.

Even if LSU wins out, coming up with the 2nd team will be hard. If LSU loses, Katy bar the door.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BCS blather

An SEC rematch is almost inevitable at this point. Sad to say.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    That all depends on Arkansas and LSU this weekend, then the SEC championship game doesn't it?

I think you will have a strong push to get Oklahoma State in the game if they beat OU. I don't think the country wants to see another LSU Alabama game, especially since the first one redefined titanic struggle. If Arkansas beats LSU I can see them jumping to the #1 spot with LSU second and Alabama 3rd. I realize Bama beat them but college football is a what have you done for me lately.

I think there will be a strong push from the voters not to put a rematch, especially a same conference rematch, in the title game. And I think the voters may be a little sympathetic to OSU losing the same night as a tragic plane crash.

Imagine Arkansas beats LSU in a tight one, then losses on the SEC championship game and LSU plays Alabama for the title, while neither won neither their own division nor championship.

Frankly, this isn't the BCS' fault, its the fault of the B10, Pac12, ACC & B12 for failing to field a team fails to capture BCS title aspirations.

Short of a playoff, I'd be in favor of scrapping the whole system, going back to the way it used to be, with a ton of games on New Year's day, you're big ol' big ones like the rose bowl, sugar bowl, Orange Bowl, etc... Then maybe, just maybe, a national title game to follow a couple of weeks later between the top 2 teams at that point.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Frankly, this isn't the BCS' fault, its the fault of the B10, Pac12, ACC & B12 for failing to field a team fails to capture BCS title aspirations.
    Stanford, Okie State, Boise State, VA Tech, and Houston? If anything, the system is revealing its natural bias towards the SEC.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Imagine Arkansas beats LSU in a tight one, then losses on the SEC championship game and LSU plays Alabama for the title, while neither won neither their own division nor championship.
    Technically, LSU, Arkansas and Alabama would be co-West Division champs.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Stanford, Okie State, Boise State, VA Tech, and Houston? If anything, the system is revealing its natural bias towards the SEC.
    IMHO, none of those teams really scream "great" to me. Stanford maybe, Okie State plays little defense, Boise just kind of seems OK aside from a great QB, VTech just seems kind of blah, has Houston played anyone?

Perhaps its always been this way, I know the season OSU lost to Louisianna was very similar to this one. OSU shouldn't have been anywhere near a BCS title game, but apparently nobody else did either and they kind of were the last man standing on a team that was just "ok" Maybe most years are like that, which is my problem with the BCS. Outside of the title game, the other games are just for "show". Short of a playoff, I'd rather go back to the old system, then have a +1 of the top 2 teams after that.

Natural bias towards the SEC? I'm no SEC honk, I'm an OSU fan, but they've won the last 5 national titles and are the front runners for a 6th straight. They've done that w/ what, 4 different teams? (Florida x2, Bama, Auburn & LSU) They've knocked off the top team from the B10 x2, the B12 x2, and the P10. Over a period when the ACC & Big East have pretty well sucked at either the top or overall (or both in some years), an SEC team has knocked off a team from the best that the other power conferences could throw at them. I don't know if the SEC plays the BCS "game" the way the Big East used to play the RPI "game" in basketball to inflate their resume's better than other conferences, but I do know when its mattered most over the last 5 years, they've proven they're the best. They've shown its not just 1 team propping up a conference, but a handful of teams that can ascend to the top. The SEC has earned the respect they're getting on the football field.

Technically, LSU, Arkansas and Alabama would be co-West Division champs.
    For sure? I don't know, I know in the B10, at least up until this year, they would be, does the SEC give that title the same way, or do they give it just the team that represents in the SEC championship game? At either rate, none of the 3 would be crowned conference champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Right or wrong, it's going to come down to comparing losses and non-conference schedules.

I don't think LSU loses in the next 2 weeks and assuming Bama beats Auburn (somewhat convincingly), I don't think any of the other one loss teams has the "resume" to match up with Bama's.

Also, upon further analysis, it's unlikely Arkansas plays in the SEC Championship game, unless they blow out LSU.

For sure? I don't know, I know in the B10, at least up until this year, they would be, does the SEC give that title the same way, or do they give it just the team that represents in the SEC championship game? At either rate, none of the 3 would be crowned conference champ.
    If there is a 3-way tie in the division, the team ranked highest in the BCS standings gets to play in the SEC Championship.

Whats sad about it? If they are the best, thats what everyone wants right?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Whats sad about it? If they are the best, thats what everyone wants right?
    I was hoping at least one other team would "step up" (hate that cliche) and make their case to be #2.

I don't enjoy wars of attrition. (Like when LSU last won it.)

If there is a 3-way tie in the division, the team ranked highest in the BCS standings gets to play in the SEC Championship.
    I get that, but does the SEC declare them co-division champions? I know in the B10, at least prior to this year, if two teams ended up with the same record, even if one beat the other, they'd both be declared B10 champs, no matter who goes to the Rose Bowl

I get that, but does the SEC declare them co-division champions? I know in the B10, at least prior to this year, if two teams ended up with the same record, even if one beat the other, they'd both be declared B10 champs, no matter who goes to the Rose Bowl
    Yes.

http://sec.xosdigitallabs.com/NEWS/t...e-breaker.aspx

In the event of a tie for the division championship, the following procedures will be used to break all ties to determine the SEC Football Championship Game representative.

Turn Off Ads?