Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: BCS blather

Re: BCS blather

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Alabama is the better team. OSU did have a tougher schedule. Doesn't matter to me. The idea of the BCS is to get the two best teams to play. Alabama and LSU are those teams.
    The idea of the BCS is to get the two most deserving teams to play. Why is Bama more deserving than OSU? If a 40 yard FG kick was half a foot further to the left, no one could argue that OSU shouldn't play LSU. Would you still argue that Bama was the better team?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Where does it say you have to win your conference to play for the title? If that is your opinion fine, but to say it "ends the discussion" is just your opinion. Others may not agree. And FWIW I think OSU should get their shot. But that decision was reached by on field events, not the conference standings.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Where does it say you have to win your conference to play for the title? If that is your opinion fine, but to say it "ends the discussion" is just your opinion. Others may not agree. And FWIW I think OSU should get their shot. But that decision was reached by on field events, not the conference standings.
    Why beat up a straw man? Being a one loss conference champion of the Big 12 is a stronger resume than being a one loss team who finished second in the SEC West despite a favorable schedule.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The idea of the BCS is to get the two most deserving teams to play. Why is Bama more deserving than OSU? If a 40 yard FG kick was half a foot further to the left, no one could argue that OSU shouldn't play LSU. Would you still argue that Bama was the better team?
    I would argue that Alabama was the better team, because they are. But, I wouldn't argue against OSU playing in the title game, because they went undefeated.

Losing is losing. OSU had a harder schedule.
    Agreed.

Why beat up a straw man? Being a one loss conference champion of the Big 12 is a stronger resume than being a one loss team who finished second in the SEC West despite a favorable schedule.
    No, it really isn't. When that one loss came in overtime to the #1 team in the country and you dominated everyone else you played all year, it isn't a worse resume than what Oklahoma State has.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Who has Alabama beaten to make you say they are the better team? There have been a ton of assumptions that Bama is a better team, but I don't buy it. Alabama's best win is against Arkansas and then who else? Some people have crowned them as the 2nd best team in the country based upon hype.
    Watching them play LSU tells me that they are the better team. No one else has come closer to even being in a game for four quarters with LSU. Alabama should have won that game. They didn't, and I get that, but they were the better team on the field that day. Oklahoma State lost to Iowa State. That is what tells me that Alabama is the better team.

Watching them play LSU tells me that they are the better team. No one else has come closer to even being in a game for four quarters with LSU. Alabama should have won that game. They didn't, and I get that, but they were the better team on the field that day. Oklahoma State lost to Iowa State. That is what tells me that Alabama is the better team.
    I agree OSUs loss was worse. But why are we not looking at the wins of both teams?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I agree OSUs loss was worse. But why are we not looking at the wins of both teams?
    My stance is this: Alabama is clearly the better of the two teams. I only worry about wins/losses when someone else brings them up. OSU has better wins when looking at the schedules. Doesn't matter. Alabama is the better team.

Alabama is the better team.
    In your opinion of course. Some of us think Oklahoma State is the better team.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Just proves what we already knew: Everything is biased toward the SEC. It makes me sick. It should be LSU/Oklahoma State IF OSU hangs on tonight.
    For good reason. The SEC has shown for yrs and yrs now that it is deserving of such a lofty standing

Like others, I just want consistency. Many of the loudest screamers of "they didn't even win their conference" and "they didn't beat anybody" are the sames one now screaming it has to be Alabama. It's so freaking ridiculous, it's tough to even listen to.

Some people think the SEC is exempt from any discussion around who they actually beat. Heck, I bought into the hype myself even, but now that I've actually gone a looked, Alabama hasn't really beat anyone of consequence this other than Arkansas. And if there's a team deserving of the most over-hyped team this year it's Arkansas. They have beaten no one of any quality. They got demolished by the only two really good teams they played. So how can they be SO good if they can't even be competitive with top tier teams.

Alabama beat 3 teams this year with a winning record. 3 teams!!! But they are exempt from schedule scrutiny like everyone else due to the SEC exception. This is such BS. It's like Reily said, the SEC fanbase thinks they invented football and no one else can play. It's impossible to even have an intelligent dialogue with these people. Heck, why not just make the SEC championship game the national championship game and forget about the BCS.

The "who'd they beat" argument has been used mercilessly here and everywhere else usually coming from the very people who have conveniently forgotten about it now. The hypocrisy is ridiculous and not even subtle. All most of us want is consistency. You can't have one set of rules for everyone else, and a different one for the anointed SEC.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Like others, I just want consistency. Many of the loudest screamers of "they didn't even win their conference" and "they didn't beat anybody" are the sames one now screaming it has to be Alabama. It's so freaking ridiculous, it's tough to even listen to.

Some people think the SEC is exempt from any discussion around who they actually beat. Heck, I bought into the hype myself even, but now that I've actually gone a looked, Alabama hasn't really beat anyone of consequence this other than Arkansas. And if there's a team deserving of the most over-hyped team this year it's Arkansas. They have beaten no one of any quality. They got demolished by the only two really good teams they played. So how can they be SO good if they can't even be competitive with top tier teams.

Alabama beat 3 teams this year with a winning record. 3 teams!!! But they are exempt from schedule scrutiny like everyone else due to the SEC exception. This is such BS. It's like Reily said, the SEC fanbase thinks they invented football and no one else can play. It's impossible to even have an intelligent dialogue with these people. Heck, why not just make the SEC championship game the national championship game and forget about the BCS.

The "who'd they beat" argument has been used mercilessly here and everywhere else usually coming from the very people who have conveniently forgotten about it now. The hypocrisy is ridiculous and not even subtle. All most of us want is consistency. You can't have one set of rules for everyone else, and a different one for the anointed SEC.
    This is an excellent post.

My stance is this: Alabama is clearly the better of the two teams.
    The part that I disagree here is the "clearly" part. "Maybe"? Sure. But there is considerable room for doubt.

OSU beat the #8, #10, and #22 teams in the nation.

Alabama beat the #12, #14, #23, #24 teams.

Bama lost at home to the #1 team by 3. OSU lost in a 2 OT game the day after a tragic coaching loss.

Maybe I'd give a slight edge to Alabama. Maybe. But its pretty darn near a toss-up.

In my mind, the tie-breaker is the "you had your shot and you lost" argument. Yeah, you can say a FG was wide or a receiver tripped or whatever. But at the end of the day, you *lost*. Why do you get another shot when there is a team that is very possibly equal to you?

BCS will say the system worked this time but I'll disagree.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    This is an excellent post.
    I'm not impressed. So if popularity means something to you, it's 1-1.

You can't have one set of rules for everyone else, and a different one for the anointed SEC.
    Winning 5 straight BCS championships (mostly via blowouts) has that kind of effect

Turn Off Ads?