Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: BCS blather

Re: BCS blather

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Bama lost at home to the #1 team by 3. OSU lost in a 2 OT game the day after a tragic coaching loss.

Maybe I'd give a slight edge to Alabama. Maybe. But its pretty darn near a toss-up.

In my mind, the tie-breaker is the "you had your shot and you lost" argument. Yeah, you can say a FG was wide or a receiver tripped or whatever. But at the end of the day, you *lost*. Why do you get another shot when there is a team that is very possibly equal to you?

BCS will say the system worked this time but I'll disagree.

Don't you think in all fairness you should mention that the team OSU lost to was a .500 team? I think that's pertinent and I think if Alabama lost to a .500 team like Vanderbilt that it'd have knocked 'em further down than a loss to LSU.

I do agree with the point in your last paragraph

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Like others, I just want consistency. Many of the loudest screamers of "they didn't even win their conference" and "they didn't beat anybody" are the sames one now screaming it has to be Alabama. It's so freaking ridiculous, it's tough to even listen to.

Some people think the SEC is exempt from any discussion around who they actually beat. Heck, I bought into the hype myself even, but now that I've actually gone a looked, Alabama hasn't really beat anyone of consequence this other than Arkansas. And if there's a team deserving of the most over-hyped team this year it's Arkansas. They have beaten no one of any quality. They got demolished by the only two really good teams they played. So how can they be SO good if they can't even be competitive with top tier teams.

Alabama beat 3 teams this year with a winning record. 3 teams!!! But they are exempt from schedule scrutiny like everyone else due to the SEC exception. This is such BS. It's like Reily said, the SEC fanbase thinks they invented football and no one else can play. It's impossible to even have an intelligent dialogue with these people. Heck, why not just make the SEC championship game the national championship game and forget about the BCS.

The "who'd they beat" argument has been used mercilessly here and everywhere else usually coming from the very people who have conveniently forgotten about it now. The hypocrisy is ridiculous and not even subtle. All most of us want is consistency. You can't have one set of rules for everyone else, and a different one for the anointed SEC.
    I think the soapbox is misplaced for the purposes of this discussion. I'm clearly a huge fan of SEC football and don't think Bama should be in the BCS championship game. Doug is not an SEC diehard and he argues the opposite. There is fertile discussion here.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I have seen all 3 of these teams play this season, Bama and LSU are heads and shoulders above OSU and it's not even close. That being said I would like to see some kind of a plus one system to settle some of these arguments on the field.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

You missed the larger point. This isn't just about here. It's everywhere. The chorus of disbelief coming from the general populace down here in 2006 that a team could be in the title game without having won their conference is completely reversed now. It's like it shouldn't even matter at all. And I can't tell you how many times I've heard "they didn't beat anyone", and almost always coming from some SEC partisan. They have no interest when those same arguments are used against them. They want no part of it. I'm just tired of the hypocrisy. There might be exceptions, but that's all they are - exceptions. I don't care if someone argues a point opposed to mine or anyone else's. I don't think it's too much to ask for people to be consistent. That's what's not happening here.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

BTW, it's really hard for me to take SEC fans and rivalries seriously. How can you be fierce rivals when the whole conference is pulling for each other? I have never understood that. You will never hear me chanting "Pac-12! Pac-12! Pac-12!" or "NL Central! NL Central!" That's stupid, and only SEC fans do it.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I have seen all 3 of these teams play this season, Bama and LSU are heads and shoulders above OSU and it's not even close. That being said I would like to see some kind of a plus one system to settle some of these arguments on the field.
    Did you watch OSU last night? How could anyone watch them last night and summarily dismiss them as inferior to Alabama is beyond me. Yes, I think Alabama is probably better, but it's not so obvious as others are making it. It's impossible to completely remove brand name and hype from our perceptions. Fact is, OSU has made me rethink just how much better Alabama may be. OSU is legit. It's hard for some to really buy into that when it's Alabama we're talking about. But they can play.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

This year OSU is basically being hurt badly by the fact that the Big 12* can not have a conference championship game.

For what it's worth, I haven't heard many of my SEC friends clamoring for a rematch. But I love the environment of SEC football and I don't think there is anything stupid about honoring and respecting the traditions of Alabama football for instance even though my dislike for them on the field grows with every season.
    Last edited by jojo; 12-04-2011 at 03:41 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If OSU's resume is so obviously better to "unbiased" eyes, then surely all 6 computer polls will rank OSU ahead of Alabama?

Nope... Looks like it's going to be 3-3.

[SECguy] I don't want LSU-Bama in the National Championship Game. I want the SEC to go 2-0 in BCS games, not 1-1.[/SECguy]
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Personally I think an LSU-OSU match up would end up just like LSU-Arkansas or LSU-Georgia. That doesn't mean that I don't believe OSU deserves the chance to prove me wrong. I already know that LSU can beat Alabama and they can do it in the most hostile environment imaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Did you watch OSU last night? How could anyone watch them last night and summarily dismiss them as inferior to Alabama is beyond me. Yes, I think Alabama is probably better, but it's not so obvious as others are making it. It's impossible to completely remove brand name and hype from our perceptions. Fact is, OSU has made me rethink just how much better Alabama may be. OSU is legit. It's hard for some to really buy into that when it's Alabama we're talking about. But they can play.
    OSU is a cute team with a great offense and nothing on defense. Sorry I don't like the current BCS system but it is the system teams have to play within, and under that system teams that lose to Iowa State don't get to be a part of the Championship discussion.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by SECguy
    I don't want LSU-Bama in the National Championship Game. I want the SEC to go 2-0 in BCS games, not 1-1.[/SECguy]
    That pretty much sums it up perfectly I think as long as I don't have to watch the Alabama game.

What hurts Oklahoma State more than anything is this:

25.8 (61st)

That's their average points per game allowed and ranking among FBS teams.

Many people will look at that and think that the 2nd best team in the country should have a better defense. And I wouldn't argue with that.

dabvu, I don't think a lot of people are even trying to argue against what you're arguing. The big question is what criteria should be used. If a conference championship has mattered in the past, it should matter now. If now we're being 100% subjective based on who people *think* the better team is, then that's fine as long as that's the way it's been in the past. The problem is, there's no consistency in how people are making their decisions.

Are we really still grousing about 2006? When the BCS got it right, I might add.

I want the 2 best teams in the National Championship Game. Don't really care about conference championships so much (not like OSU had to play an extra game to earn it).

If it was so objectively obvious that OSU's resume was better, they'd be #2 in all 6 computer polls. Guess what? It's not going to be that way. It's going to be 3-3.

Hell, if I was a voter, I'm not sure what I'd do... Probably vote LSU #1 and leave the rest of my ballot blank.

2006 was that last time a situation occurred, so I'd say it's relevant. What I find disappointing is the sudden change in ideology we're seeing.

At the end of the day, this is only even being discussed because of the moronic nature of the current system. What's most stupid in all of this is that we're even having to have the conversation.

Turn Off Ads?