Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: BCS blather

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Re: BCS blather

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    "Anyone who doesn't win their conference has no business playing in the national championship game."~~~~~ Nick Saban, 2003.
    I completely agree.

GL

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    What is sad is that LSU can lose the SEC championship game and probably still make the NC game. So you'd have 2 teams from the SEC playing for the NC that didn't even win their conference.

And while I'm sure LSU will come out and play their hearts out in the SEC championship game, what is the motivation for them to win if they have a slot in the NC game no matter what?

It's all a bunch of malarkey in my book.
    Would that even be possible? It was my understanding that a conference could only have two teams play in BCS games and UGA would get one of those slots if they were to win the SEC championship game.

The championship game should be between the two best teams in the country, period. All these arguments about what is or is not fair to certain teams, or about who played who during the regular season is meaningless, IMHO.

LSU and Alabama are the two best teams, and I think the majority of America would agree. And it really pains me to say it as I really dislike both teams and coaches, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    "Anyone who doesn't win their conference has no business playing in the national championship game."~~~~~ Nick Saban, 2003.
    Wow.

I'm guessing his tune has changed.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Oh man, that Saban quote has me cracking up. It could really come back to bite him in the arse.

I will say this in his defense. Back then there was a lot more parity among the conferences. This separation of the SEC is a recent thing, ccontrary to what some of the vocal minority here on Redszone would have you believe. There is a larger gap, but just at the top IMO, than there was prior to the last 4-5 years. Now, I won't get into the reasons why this has happened as that's for another thread and some would rather assume it's just because they're better, but it's not a coincidence. But the gap is there nonetheless.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

NL Central champs

Anyone have a link for that Nick Saban quote? If that is true, I am suprised that it has not been mentioned in the media yet.

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    Anyone have a link for that Nick Saban quote? If that is true, I am suprised that it has not been mentioned in the media yet.
    It might not be true....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Then why post it here?

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    I searched for the article that supposedly contained the quote but had no luck, but it is mentioned quite a bit in blogs and such. Have to take it with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Then why post it here?
    It's all over the net. After the request for the link, I starting looking harder and I don't trust that this is legit.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I don't know if this is posted, but I think this is VERY interesting -- using a blind resume to determine who should be the #2 team in the nation:

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs....56338/33566427
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Oh man, that Saban quote has me cracking up. It could really come back to bite him in the arse.

I will say this in his defense. Back then there was a lot more parity among the conferences. This separation of the SEC is a recent thing, ccontrary to what some of the vocal minority here on Redszone would have you believe. There is a larger gap, but just at the top IMO, than there was prior to the last 4-5 years. Now, I won't get into the reasons why this has happened as that's for another thread and some would rather assume it's just because they're better, but it's not a coincidence. But the gap is there nonetheless.
    There is a SEC hype that has been circling the nation over the past few years. The SEC has been the best conference in college football but I don't think the gap is as big as people make it out to be. With the exception of LSU, what SEC team out there has your really saying "wow look how good they are!" Alabama's non SEC marquee win is against PSU. Arkansas, a Texas A&M team that is currently unranked.

The SEC may be the best, but I think the likes of Oklahoma and OSU are pretty good out of the Big 12. I also think USC, Oregon, and Stanford are pretty formidable out in the Pac 12. The Big 10 is a mess, although Wisconsin is two hail mary's away from being in the BCS title game. While the SEC is the best I think its unfair to say that there aren't other capable teams out there.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    The championship game should be between the two best teams in the country, period. All these arguments about what is or is not fair to certain teams, or about who played who during the regular season is meaningless, IMHO.

LSU and Alabama are the two best teams, and I think the majority of America would agree. And it really pains me to say it as I really dislike both teams and coaches, but it is what it is.
    The majority of America is wrong about these things quite often, so I won't be taking their word for it. Everybody thought OSU#1 and Mich#2 was the NC game and we saw how that turned out. Mich probably had a better claim to be in the NC that year than Florida. I didn't want to see a rematch then, and don't want to see one now.

I don't care if those teams are the two best teams by a factor of 2, 10, or 200. One of them, as far as I am concerned, has already been eliminated from National Championship consideration because they won't win their conference.
    If more than two teams had a chance at the NC, then I would have a different opinion. World Champs not being conference champs works for me in the MLB, NBA, and the NFL because they have an open playoff system. If they only allowed two teams the chance to play for the world championship, I'd feel the same.

It would work for me in the BCS if they had the 6 BCS conf champs and 2 at large teams in a playoff. This would give each conference a chance to prove it on the field, as well as a 2nd chance to a team like Alabama this year. However, I can't get on board with Alabama this year at the expense of 4-5 other teams that are then shut out of an opportunity to win the NC. Alabama won't (likely) even win their conference, I'd rather see any other BCS conference champion get the shot than Alabama.
    GL

I don't buy into the winning the conference thing. What does it matter? Take the two best teams. If they are from the same conference, so be it.

How do you know they are the two best teams?

Turn Off Ads?