Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 344

Thread: BCS blather

  1. #136
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,850

    Re: BCS blather

    I just wish the Powers That Be would be consistent. Back in 2006, after Ohio State and Michigan had their classic 1-2 game, the majority opinion after the game was that those were the two best teams. The arguments advanced for Alabama this year ("the two best teams," "best loss," etc.) argued for Michigan then. Yet, in the final voting, enough votes swung from Michigan to Florida to jump Florida to #2, even though a lot fewer people were picking them to beat OSU than would have picked Michigan in a rematch. The overwhelming reason why voters did that can be summarized in four words: Michigan had their chance. Most thought there shouldn't be a rematch and thus there wasn't one. I agreed with that, by the way.

    I guess we can argue about why they've apparently changed their minds about such a thing, but it seems they have.
    Not all who wander are lost

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #137
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,164

    Re: BCS blather

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I just wish the Powers That Be would be consistent. Back in 2006, after Ohio State and Michigan had their classic 1-2 game, the majority opinion after the game was that those were the two best teams. The arguments advanced for Alabama this year ("the two best teams," "best loss," etc.) argued for Michigan then. Yet, in the final voting, enough votes swung from Michigan to Florida to jump Florida to #2, even though a lot fewer people were picking them to beat OSU than would have picked Michigan in a rematch. The overwhelming reason why voters did that can be summarized in four words: Michigan had their chance. Most thought there shouldn't be a rematch and thus there wasn't one. I agreed with that, by the way.

    I guess we can argue about why they've apparently changed their minds about such a thing, but it seems they have.
    That game is so overrated by everyone neither team would be within 20 of LSU or Bama and probably 10 of OSU and Oregon. They were 2 bad snaps by the OSU center (who had used the cast the entire season) from that being a 20 point blowout for OSU and yes I watched the game. The bowls proved that the blowhards on tv were wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  4. #138
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: BCS blather

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I just wish the Powers That Be would be consistent. Back in 2006, after Ohio State and Michigan had their classic 1-2 game, the majority opinion after the game was that those were the two best teams. The arguments advanced for Alabama this year ("the two best teams," "best loss," etc.) argued for Michigan then. Yet, in the final voting, enough votes swung from Michigan to Florida to jump Florida to #2, even though a lot fewer people were picking them to beat OSU than would have picked Michigan in a rematch. The overwhelming reason why voters did that can be summarized in four words: Michigan had their chance. Most thought there shouldn't be a rematch and thus there wasn't one. I agreed with that, by the way.

    I guess we can argue about why they've apparently changed their minds about such a thing, but it seems they have.
    Just proves what we already knew: Everything is biased toward the SEC. It makes me sick. It should be LSU/Oklahoma State IF OSU hangs on tonight.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  5. #139
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,429

    Re: BCS blather

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Just proves what we already knew: Everything is biased toward the SEC. It makes me sick. It should be LSU/Oklahoma State IF OSU hangs on tonight.
    I don't think anyone "deserves" to play LSU.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  6. #140
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: BCS blather

    Oklahoma State with an impressive beatdown of Oklahoma. I betcha the voters still screw them out of the National Championship.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  7. #141
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,276

    Re: BCS blather

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Oklahoma State with an impressive beatdown of Oklahoma. I betcha the voters still screw them out of the National Championship.
    They shouldn't have lost to Iowa State. The voters can't "screw them" if they win all of their games. And let's be honest, they aren't being screwed. Even if you believe they are better than Alabama, I don't believe for a second that anyone who believes that believes it without a doubt.

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Georgia was just vaporized by a punch to their face. LSU beat Bama in Tuscaloosa. Why are Bama fans so confident that the Tide will soon win the Championship?
    I don't know why they are so confident, but they probably think they are the better team. I am with them. With that said, I thought that Georgia had a chance coming into today... then after the first half I was feeling alright about it. Then, well, LSU showed why they are the #1 team in the country.

  8. #142
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,862

    Re: BCS blather

    There may be several one loss teams around but there is only 1 that won its conference by playing yesterday and crushing the #10 team in the country. I'm convinced.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  9. #143
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: BCS blather

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    They shouldn't have lost to Iowa State. The voters can't "screw them" if they win all of their games. And let's be honest, they aren't being screwed. Even if you believe they are better than Alabama, I don't believe for a second that anyone who believes that believes it without a doubt.



    I don't know why they are so confident, but they probably think they are the better team. I am with them. With that said, I thought that Georgia had a chance coming into today... then after the first half I was feeling alright about it. Then, well, LSU showed why they are the #1 team in the country.
    Alabama shouldn't have lost to LSU at HOME.

    Oklahoma State won their conference, Alabama didn't. That pretty much ends the discussion.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  10. #144
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,417

    Re: BCS blather

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I don't think anyone "deserves" to play LSU.


    This is just one of those years when the BCS system doesn't work. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  11. #145
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,276

    Re: BCS blather

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Alabama shouldn't have lost to LSU at HOME.

    Oklahoma State won their conference, Alabama didn't. That pretty much ends the discussion.
    Oklahoma State shouldn't have lost ANYWHERE to IOWA STATE. That pretty much ends the discussion.

  12. #146
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,862

    Re: BCS blather

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Oklahoma State shouldn't have lost ANYWHERE to IOWA STATE. That pretty much ends the discussion.
    Alabama shouldn't have lost any game in Tuscaloosa. The not only didn't win their own conference, Bama didn't even win their division because they couldn't hold serve at home.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  13. #147
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,276

    Re: BCS blather

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Alabama shouldn't have lost any game in Tuscaloosa.
    While that is true, losing to LSU = a lot more acceptable, even at home, in overtime, than losing to Iowa State in football.

  14. #148
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,862

    Re: BCS blather

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    While that is true, losing to LSU = a lot more acceptable, even at home, in overtime, than losing to Iowa State in football.
    Losing is losing. OSU had a harder schedule.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  15. #149
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,276

    Re: BCS blather

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Losing is losing. OSU had a harder schedule.
    Alabama is the better team. OSU did have a tougher schedule. Doesn't matter to me. The idea of the BCS is to get the two best teams to play. Alabama and LSU are those teams.

  16. #150
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,164

    Re: BCS blather

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Alabama is the better team. OSU did have a tougher schedule. Doesn't matter to me. The idea of the BCS is to get the two best teams to play. Alabama and LSU are those teams.
    Who has Alabama beaten to make you say they are the better team? There have been a ton of assumptions that Bama is a better team, but I don't buy it. Alabama's best win is against Arkansas and then who else? Some people have crowned them as the 2nd best team in the country based upon hype.

    At the start of the day yesterday the BCS guru's were saying its Alabama all the way. Now the tone has changed to it will be the closest BCS poll in history. I think OSU gets the nod. They destroyed OU in a primetime game in which most of the votors should have been watching.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25