Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: BCS blather

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: BCS blather

I just wish the Powers That Be would be consistent. Back in 2006, after Ohio State and Michigan had their classic 1-2 game, the majority opinion after the game was that those were the two best teams. The arguments advanced for Alabama this year ("the two best teams," "best loss," etc.) argued for Michigan then. Yet, in the final voting, enough votes swung from Michigan to Florida to jump Florida to #2, even though a lot fewer people were picking them to beat OSU than would have picked Michigan in a rematch. The overwhelming reason why voters did that can be summarized in four words: Michigan had their chance. Most thought there shouldn't be a rematch and thus there wasn't one. I agreed with that, by the way.

I guess we can argue about why they've apparently changed their minds about such a thing, but it seems they have.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I just wish the Powers That Be would be consistent. Back in 2006, after Ohio State and Michigan had their classic 1-2 game, the majority opinion after the game was that those were the two best teams. The arguments advanced for Alabama this year ("the two best teams," "best loss," etc.) argued for Michigan then. Yet, in the final voting, enough votes swung from Michigan to Florida to jump Florida to #2, even though a lot fewer people were picking them to beat OSU than would have picked Michigan in a rematch. The overwhelming reason why voters did that can be summarized in four words: Michigan had their chance. Most thought there shouldn't be a rematch and thus there wasn't one. I agreed with that, by the way.

I guess we can argue about why they've apparently changed their minds about such a thing, but it seems they have.
    That game is so overrated by everyone neither team would be within 20 of LSU or Bama and probably 10 of OSU and Oregon. They were 2 bad snaps by the OSU center (who had used the cast the entire season) from that being a 20 point blowout for OSU and yes I watched the game. The bowls proved that the blowhards on tv were wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post

Just proves what we already knew: Everything is biased toward the SEC. It makes me sick. It should be LSU/Oklahoma State IF OSU hangs on tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Just proves what we already knew: Everything is biased toward the SEC. It makes me sick. It should be LSU/Oklahoma State IF OSU hangs on tonight.
    I don't think anyone "deserves" to play LSU.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Oklahoma State with an impressive beatdown of Oklahoma. I betcha the voters still screw them out of the National Championship.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Oklahoma State with an impressive beatdown of Oklahoma. I betcha the voters still screw them out of the National Championship.
    They shouldn't have lost to Iowa State. The voters can't "screw them" if they win all of their games. And let's be honest, they aren't being screwed. Even if you believe they are better than Alabama, I don't believe for a second that anyone who believes that believes it without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Georgia was just vaporized by a punch to their face. LSU beat Bama in Tuscaloosa. Why are Bama fans so confident that the Tide will soon win the Championship?
    I don't know why they are so confident, but they probably think they are the better team. I am with them. With that said, I thought that Georgia had a chance coming into today... then after the first half I was feeling alright about it. Then, well, LSU showed why they are the #1 team in the country.

There may be several one loss teams around but there is only 1 that won its conference by playing yesterday and crushing the #10 team in the country. I'm convinced.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    They shouldn't have lost to Iowa State. The voters can't "screw them" if they win all of their games. And let's be honest, they aren't being screwed. Even if you believe they are better than Alabama, I don't believe for a second that anyone who believes that believes it without a doubt.

I don't know why they are so confident, but they probably think they are the better team. I am with them. With that said, I thought that Georgia had a chance coming into today... then after the first half I was feeling alright about it. Then, well, LSU showed why they are the #1 team in the country.
    Alabama shouldn't have lost to LSU at HOME.

Oklahoma State won their conference, Alabama didn't. That pretty much ends the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I don't think anyone "deserves" to play LSU.

This is just one of those years when the BCS system doesn't work. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't...

Alabama shouldn't have lost to LSU at HOME.

Oklahoma State won their conference, Alabama didn't. That pretty much ends the discussion.
    Oklahoma State shouldn't have lost ANYWHERE to IOWA STATE. That pretty much ends the discussion.

Oklahoma State shouldn't have lost ANYWHERE to IOWA STATE. That pretty much ends the discussion.
    Alabama shouldn't have lost any game in Tuscaloosa. The not only didn't win their own conference, Bama didn't even win their division because they couldn't hold serve at home.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Alabama shouldn't have lost any game in Tuscaloosa.
    While that is true, losing to LSU = a lot more acceptable, even at home, in overtime, than losing to Iowa State in football.

While that is true, losing to LSU = a lot more acceptable, even at home, in overtime, than losing to Iowa State in football.
    Losing is losing. OSU had a harder schedule.

Losing is losing. OSU had a harder schedule.
    Alabama is the better team. OSU did have a tougher schedule. Doesn't matter to me. The idea of the BCS is to get the two best teams to play. Alabama and LSU are those teams.

Alabama is the better team. OSU did have a tougher schedule. Doesn't matter to me. The idea of the BCS is to get the two best teams to play. Alabama and LSU are those teams.
    Who has Alabama beaten to make you say they are the better team? There have been a ton of assumptions that Bama is a better team, but I don't buy it. Alabama's best win is against Arkansas and then who else? Some people have crowned them as the 2nd best team in the country based upon hype.

At the start of the day yesterday the BCS guru's were saying its Alabama all the way. Now the tone has changed to it will be the closest BCS poll in history. I think OSU gets the nod. They destroyed OU in a primetime game in which most of the votors should have been watching.

Turn Off Ads?