Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: BCS blather

Re: BCS blather

I don't really know all of the criteria on how a National Champion is crowned, but I know we've had split champions before. My question is, what in the heck happens if LSU loses the NCG?

You'd have some 1 loss teams, and of that group LSU would have the best resume by far.

Alabama would have a home loss to LSU.
    Oklahoma State would have a road loss to Iowa State.
    LSU would have a 'neutral' site loss to one of them, but would also have wins over Alabama, Oregon, West Virginia, Arkansas, and Georgia.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it just seems messed up.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post

Some people think the SEC is exempt from any discussion around who they actually beat. Heck, I bought into the hype myself even, but now that I've actually gone a looked, Alabama hasn't really beat anyone of consequence this other than Arkansas. And if there's a team deserving of the most over-hyped team this year it's Arkansas. They have beaten no one of any quality. They got demolished by the only two really good teams they played. So how can they be SO good if they can't even be competitive with top tier teams.
    To be fair, who has been competitive with Alamaba and LSU other than Alabama and LSU? No one has.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    OSU lost in a 2 OT game the day after a tragic coaching loss.
    I don't want to take anything away from the tragedy that was the plane crash.... but do you really think that any of those players had even met the Womens basketball coaches that were lost? It isn't like they lost one of their coaches or players.

To me it comes down to this, LSU/OSU would be something new, probably an entertaining game, I think LSU wins but I'd watch.

I'd skip the rematch.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    To me it comes down to this, LSU/OSU would be something new, probably an entertaining game, I think LSU wins but I'd watch.

I'd skip the rematch.
    What would be the better game, regardless of "entertainment value"?

NL Central champs

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't want to take anything away from the tragedy that was the plane crash.... but do you really think that any of those players had even met the Womens basketball coaches that were lost? It isn't like they lost one of their coaches or players.
    In addition to this, Alabama had to overcome the loss of a player (Aaron Douglas) and a tornado ripping through Tuscaloosa over the summer. I don't think tragedies should be factored into this discussion but if we are going to consider tragedies lets not ignore what happened to Alabama this summer.

What would be the better game, regardless of "entertainment value"?
    You don't know, and neither does anyone else. It's all speculation, no matter how certain anyone thinks they are. The first time they played, it was anything but entertaining.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

You don't know, and neither does anyone else. It's all speculation, no matter how certain anyone thinks they are. The first time they played, it was anything but entertaining.
    Of course. My question was more "what would be the better game" since he said he wouldn't watch a rematch, but would watch OK State. He didn't state who he thought was better between the two though.

But you're making assumptions that some people don't agree with, such as it should be decided based solely on who people think the better team is. That's why I won't respond to your poll. It's the wrong question. The first question is how should the participants be decided. Only when that is agreed upon does asking the other question even matter.

Thing is, if you base your decision based solely on who you think is better, then you open up all kinds of opportunity for things like why can't a 2 loss team be in the final game. Afterall, if it's strictly who is the best team, all of a sudden the record doesn't matter as much. This is the insanity of the BCS. There is no way to decide these things without all kinds of holes being present.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

But you're making assumptions that some people don't agree with, such as it should be decided based solely on who people think the better team is. That's why I won't respond to your poll. It's the wrong question. The first question is how should the participants be decided. Only when that is agreed upon does asking the other question even matter.
    Maybe I am wrong here, but isn't the BCS set up with the idea that it will pit the two best teams in college football against each other?

If there's a rematch I sure as heck won't be watching.

Maybe I am wrong here, but isn't the BCS set up with the idea that it will pit the two best teams in college football against each other?
    It's not that black and white. What if OSU wouldn't have missed the FG and had actually beaten Iowa State. Does that make them a better team than they are now? I don't think so. So you're saying there's this huge gulf between Alabama and OSU. I don't think them winning that game would make that any different. But if OSU were undefeated, this wouldn't even be a debate as they would be playing LSU for the championship. But most everyone would still think Alabama was better. So if it's about the two best teams, it shouldn't matter if there are two undefeated teams. If there's a one loss team better than one of the undefeated teams, then based on what you're saying, shouldn't the one loss team get the nod?

So it's not about picking the two best teams, now it becomes about the two most "deserving" teams, which opens up a completely different can of worms. The entire thing is completely subjective with any 2 people having 2 different ideologies as to who should get picked.

It's all moot now, the rematch is going to happen. My guess it will be one of the lower rated games since the BCS started. Few people outside the southeast will have a lot of interest, IMO.

It's all moot now, the rematch is going to happen. My guess it will be one of the lower rated games since the BCS started. Few people outside the southeast will have a lot of interest, IMO.
    I don't get this. As a college football fan, I don't care who is playing in the game. I am watching it.

That's you and most ardent fans. I'm sure I'll watch as I enjoy watching good college football. But the masses will be less interested with it being an all SEC final most likely. I will admit, it will be much less interesting to me, and will just add fuel to the fire that is the SEC fanbase, which makes enjoyable college football discussion next to impossible, but it's still the national championship game, so I'll be watching.

Well damn. An SEC team is going to lose in the National Championship Game. (I love being "that guy." )
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?