Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: BCS blather

Re: BCS blather

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Ok, as long as the winner of that game agrees to play USC at the end.
    If there were a playoff this yr and everyone was eligible, I think USC would win it. That's why the whole BCS system is screwed up because even if USC were eligible, they'd not accrue enough pts to play LSU. I agree with those that say the system needs to change but if if it does, I hope the change is to some sort of playoff format as opposed to a revamping of the BCS formula. Anything that involves narrowing the field down to two teams is flawed

2. Turn Off Ads?

Oklahoma certainly should have gotten in due to the strength of the Big 12.

Mich St travels very well so I don't understand them getting shafted over rival UM. Once you get past that, how did Nebraska bounce over them in the pecking order? A lot of this doesn't make sense. It's not like MSU got blown out last night

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Oklahoma State would be a better game, we don't get that now, we get a game we've already seen.
    So Oklahoma State is going to provide a better game than one that went to overtime? Sign me up for somehow getting OK State into the game now.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    BTW, it's really hard for me to take SEC fans and rivalries seriously. How can you be fierce rivals when the whole conference is pulling for each other? I have never understood that. You will never hear me chanting "Pac-12! Pac-12! Pac-12!" or "NL Central! NL Central!" That's stupid, and only SEC fans do it.
    At the risk of losing my SEC Homer card, I'm going to root bigtime for UC in the Liberty Bowl...

The one thing that always gets lost in these BCS debates is playing the NC game a month after the season ends. That's the cherry on top of all this mess.

Seriously? Northern Illinois vs Arkansas State on jan 8th promises to be a highlight.....of the year....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I would have much rather seen a LSU/Oklahoma State game. But saying that I know LSU and Bama are the two best teams. The BCS, in the end, got it right.
    Some other thoughts about some of the other matchups:

Virginia Tech should not have got into the Sugar Bowl. They were thumped in the ACC final and just aren't that good. They got there because they have a great fan base that travels. No other reason for them to be in New Orleans. IMO, Baylor should have been there. What a matchup that would have been between the the two QB's!

Baylor,Boise and TCU got screwed the worst in where they went. All three deserved much better bowls.

The Rose Bowl is a great matchup. That game will be a 45-42 game.
    Also the Fiesta Bowl should be a nice game. Plenty of scoring in that one too.
    I have no interest in the Sugar and Orange. Just bad matchups in both of those. The day the BCS kicks the Big East will make the whole process much better.
    I am assuming the SEC couldn't get three teams in the BCS bowls. Because Arkansas would have been a better game going against Michigan.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Even as an SEC enthusiast, I may or may not watch the SEC errr national championship game depending upon what the wife and kids have going on. We've already seen this game and frankly, clearly i'm biased as I don't like Alabama. That said, I don't like LSU either. I hate Georgia too. Arkansas, not alot of good to say about them either. Same with MSU, SC, and U of F... Kentucky? I'm less and less of a college basketball fan every year. Tennessee mostly just makes me sad. Vandy? They're like your little brother. I'll root for them against a BCS conference co-champ who is trying to bully them. So really my lack of enthusiasm isn't due to anti-Bama sentiment.

Having to wait 5 weeks to watch a rerun? Jeeps. It's going to be hard to sustain that excitement even for an SEC enthusiast, the "controversy that keeps the current BCS system in the conversation and therefore relevant" notwithstanding.

I think LSU vs OSU would've had a better storyline even though the odds of a tight game probably would'nt have been great.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Oklahoma certainly should have gotten in due to the strength of the Big 12.

Mich St travels very well so I don't understand them getting shafted over rival UM. Once you get past that, how did Nebraska bounce over them in the pecking order? A lot of this doesn't make sense. It's not like MSU got blown out last night
    Michigan is a better story. Michigan also has 2 losses as opposed to 3 for MSU. You can say that MSU got screwed because of a money grab (Big 10 title game). I have watched several of Michigan's games and can honestly say they are one of the worst teams ever to get an at large BCS bowl bid.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I would have much rather seen a LSU/Oklahoma State game. But saying that I know LSU and Bama are the two best teams. The BCS, in the end, got it right.
    Some other thoughts about some of the other matchups:

Virginia Tech should not have got into the Sugar Bowl. They were thumped in the ACC final and just aren't that good. They got there because they have a great fan base that travels. No other reason for them to be in New Orleans. IMO, Baylor should have been there. What a matchup that would have been between the the two QB's!

Baylor,Boise and TCU got screwed the worst in where they went. All three deserved much better bowls.

The Rose Bowl is a great matchup. That game will be a 45-42 game.
    Also the Fiesta Bowl should be a nice game. Plenty of scoring in that one too.
    I have no interest in the Sugar and Orange. Just bad matchups in both of those. The day the BCS kicks the Big East will make the whole process much better.
    I am assuming the SEC couldn't get three teams in the BCS bowls. Because Arkansas would have been a better game going against Michigan.
    This year the BCS championship game may very well be second fiddle to several of the games you've mentioned....

On a personal note, the Auburn vs Virginia game will be interesting for me as Virginia should be a tough challenge but a doable one for Auburn's youngsters.

I'll have the NC game on (what else is there to do on a early January Sunday night) but I can't say I'm very excited. Other matchups are more compelling for all the rest of us non-SEC fans. Didn't you guys already have an SEC championship game? ;-)

I am curious as to how Illinois, UCLA, Ohio St., and Florida got in bowl games. Didn't they all, like, suck?

And Northern Illinois has a very good mid-major type team. They played a helluva game against Ohio U.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Michigan is a better story. Michigan also has 2 losses as opposed to 3 for MSU. You can say that MSU got screwed because of a money grab (Big 10 title game). I have watched several of Michigan's games and can honestly say they are one of the worst teams ever to get an at large BCS bowl bid.
    MSU played Wisc to the last whistle. They should not be penalized for playing in their championship game especially if it was a close game. It's happened before with other conferences but I still don't like it. Can you help me out with why Nebraska got a better bowl bid than the Spartans? That's another head scratcher

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I'll have the NC game on (what else is there to do on a early January Sunday night) but I can't say I'm very excited. Other matchups are more compelling for all the rest of us non-SEC fans. Didn't you guys already have an SEC championship game? ;-)

I am curious as to how Illinois, UCLA, Ohio St., and Florida got in bowl games. Didn't they all, like, suck?

And Northern Illinois has a very good mid-major type team. They played a helluva game against Ohio U.
    It's on a Monday night

Michigan State is a much better team than Michigan. They beat them head to head and Michigan never had to play Wisconsin. Michigan State also beat Wisconsin first time around. You can't hold it against them that they played in the conference championship game against the top team in the conference.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I don't have a problem with the National Championship game, well unless Alabama wins that game.

The at large selections were terrible though. Kansas State is more deserving than some of those teams.

Turn Off Ads?