Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: BCS blather

Re: BCS blather

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Michigan State is a much better team than Michigan. They beat them head to head and Michigan never had to play Wisconsin. Michigan State also beat Wisconsin first time around. You can't hold it against them that they played in the conference championship game against the top team in the conference.
    Michigan is the better story and has 2 losses. MSU isn't as appealing and has 3 losses. In the end its about selling the most tickets and generating the most buzz. Michigan does that. It sure as heck isn't fair but its what the current system allows.

2. Turn Off Ads?

How is Michigan the better "story"? I'm pretty sure MSU is a much better team and that's what *should* matter.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

How is Michigan the better "story"? I'm pretty sure MSU is a much better team and that's what *should* matter.
    Do I really have to go back in the the annuals of history to explain why Michigan is a better story? Historic program, has been down for years, gets new coach, goes 10-2, beats arch rival, etc. A resurrection of Michigan may just trump anything MSU has done in the past 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Do I really have to go back in the the annuals of history to explain why Michigan is a better story? Historic program, has been down for years, gets new coach, goes 10-2, beats arch rival, etc. A resurrection of Michigan may just trump anything MSU has done in the past 25 years.
    I think "better story" is just a euphemism for "more fans traveling and higher TV ratings.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Michigan State is a much better team than Michigan. They beat them head to head and Michigan never had to play Wisconsin. Michigan State also beat Wisconsin first time around. You can't hold it against them that they played in the conference championship game against the top team in the conference.
    There's a very real argument to be made that Michigan State would've been better off declining an invitation to the Big 10 Championship game.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

BTW -- I've come around to MWM's way of thinking on this.

If the "No Rematch" arguments against #2 Michigan were valid in 2006 (destroys value of regular season, not conference champion, other teams just as deserving of a shot) when it lost ON THE ROAD to the #1 Ohio State team, why are they no longer valid for Alabama who finds itself in the exact same situation despite the fact that it lost AT HOME to the #1 team.

Doesn't pass the sniff test at all, IMO.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

(I don't know why I like this image so much)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

If the "No Rematch" arguments against #2 Michigan were valid in 2006 (destroys value of regular season, not conference champion, other teams just as deserving of a shot) when it lost ON THE ROAD to the #1 Ohio State team, why are they no longer valid for Alabama who finds itself in the exact same situation despite the fact that it lost AT HOME to the #1 team.

Michigan had the misfortune of losing on the last day of the regular season. Alabama was lucky enough to lose a few weeks ago. That's really about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

The difference is whether Mich/OSU were really the two best teams. People outside of the Big Ten bubble questioned that fact. I thought Florida would give OSU a good game and deserved a chance. I must say I did not know at the time how weak the Big Ten really was that year.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I think "better story" is just a euphemism for "more fans traveling and higher TV ratings.
    Sure. That's what it's all about. If they were interested in finding out who is the better team they would have playoffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Michigan had the misfortune of losing on the last day of the regular season. Alabama was lucky enough to lose a few weeks ago. That's really about it.
    I never thought of it that way, but that's very true.

It's the poll dynamic of "when did you lose?". Alabama had the chance to bubble back up. If Alabama would have lost to LSU in the SEC championship game then I seriously doubt they would have been in the NC game.

One thing I've come to the realization of during this BCS brouhaha is LSU is awfully daggone good. Like, one of the best seasons ever during the BCS era.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Rematch talk started about two minutes after Bama lost though.... I don't think timing much mattered.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I never thought of it that way, but that's very true.

It's the poll dynamic of "when did you lose?". Alabama had the chance to bubble back up. If Alabama would have lost to LSU in the SEC championship game then I seriously doubt they would have been in the NC game.

One thing I've come to the realization of during this BCS brouhaha is LSU is awfully daggone good. Like, one of the best seasons ever during the BCS era.
    What if LSU lost to Georgia on Saturday? Concensus opinion is that LSU would still make it

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What if LSU lost to Georgia on Saturday? Concensus opinion is that LSU would still make it
    Yes. But they still would have only had 1 loss. The precedent had already been set when Oklahoma lost to K-State in the Big 12 Championship Game and still made the BCS Championship game. If Bama had lost to Georgia in the SEC Championship game, they would have had 2 losses.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?