Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: BCS blather

Re: BCS blather

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yes. But they still would have only had 1 loss. The precedent had already been set when Oklahoma lost to K-State in the Big 12 Championship Game and still made the BCS Championship game. If Bama had lost to Georgia in the SEC Championship game, they would have had 2 losses.
    The 2007 national champs LSU took their 2nd loss on the last day of the regular season, Nov 23, although I admit that season was a freaky

How did UCLA's blowout loss in the PAC 12 championship not keep them from Bowl eligibility? 6-7 teams should not be bowling

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The 2007 national champs LSU took their 2nd loss on the last day of the regular season, Nov 23, although I admit that season was a freaky

How did UCLA's blowout loss in the PAC 12 championship not keep them from Bowl eligibility? 6-7 teams should not be bowling
    Their is some loophole that if your 7th loss comes in a Championship game and the your conference can't fill its bowl allotments that you can still go to a bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    They filed some kind of waiver to get into a bowl before the Pac 12 CG. It has something to do with losing to USC cause they are on probation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    They filed some kind of waiver to get into a bowl before the Pac 12 CG. It has something to do with losing to USC cause they are on probation.

That's exhibit A for evidence that the system is screwed up!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Michigan had the misfortune of losing on the last day of the regular season. Alabama was lucky enough to lose a few weeks ago. That's really about it.
    Also, if I recall correctly, OSU-Michigan happened and that ended Michigan's regular season. Then in the next two weeks, Florida beat Florida State and then Arkansas in the last 2 weeks of the season. Florida's loss in 2006 happened on 10-14. No doubt timing would have had something to do with how all that went down.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Also, if I recall correctly, OSU-Michigan happened and that ended Michigan's regular season. Then in the next two weeks, Florida beat Florida State and then Arkansas in the last 2 weeks of the season. Florida's loss in 2006 happened on 10-14. No doubt timing would have had something to do with how all that went down.
    If the Big 12* had a conference championship game this year, OSU would be in the BCS championship game (assuming they indeed won).
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Michigan had the misfortune of losing on the last day of the regular season. Alabama was lucky enough to lose a few weeks ago. That's really about it.
    I think there is a lot truth to that. If Bama and LSU played Thanksgiving weekend we may have had a different championship game.
    A four team playoff would look really nice this year. Top 4 BCS teams, LSU vs Stanford and Bama vs OK State.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

A question that I should really know the answer to, but am just now wondering. Does it matter how close you are to another team in each poll or just your absolute poll position?
    ie. If Alabama were 1 vote ahead of OK state in the coaches or Harris poll, would that count the same as being 100 votes ahead so long as they are still ranked #s 2 and 3?
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

The system is seriously flawed when coaches (or SID's or whoever) have a direct influence on determining the outcome. Reeks of conflict of interest.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...ots/51647436/1

We've got the one loss, 7th ranked team in the country playing in a bowl three days before Christmas, a 6-7 team in a bowl game on New Year's Eve that pits two teams who have fired their coaches against one another in a game that follows the mighty matchup between two 6-6 teams in the Mienke Who Cares Bowl, another edge of your seat matchup between two 6-6 teams battling on January 2nd and of course, the penultimate game of the season is actually a rematch with Bama already claiming a share of their 14th imaginary national title because they'll be the only team that was good enough to lose to LSU twice.

Thank goodness Tiger is winning again.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I'll actually watch the Fiesta and of course the Orange bowl but the Sugar is not so sweet. Neither Michigan or Va Tech deserve to even SNIFF a BcS game. And just in protest since all we heard about, before this year, is that the regular season is a playoff I will not watch the National Championship since we saw it already 9-6.

I'll be the one to ask should LSU lose shouldn't they get an opportunity to host Alabama as a tiebreaker? Because that's how much of a f'ing joke the game is.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Although I "think" Alabama is the best team next to LSU as a fan I want someone else. I think Bama had their chance. Defenders of this system can no longer say that "every week is a playoff" in college football. It's another example of why any system that attempts to narrow the "playoff field" to two is flawed

Bump.

Years from now, this BCS National Championship Game won’t be remembered so much for Alabama’s utter domination of LSU as it will the beginning of radical change in college football. A national playoff is coming, everyone.It’s only a matter of what it looks like.“It gets done,” a high-ranking BCS official told Sporting News Monday evening.
    Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...#ixzz1j3JQc3Lr
    Last edited by texasdave; 01-10-2012 at 09:07 AM.

I say use the 4 BCS bowls (Rose, Orange, Fiesta, Sugar), the Cotton Bowl (playing at Jerry Jones' playhouse) and the Chic-fil-a Bowl (Atlanta) for the hosting sites of an 8-team playoff. Each bowl would host a semifinal every four years and that respective site would host the national championship every 6 years.

For example, Year 1

Round 1:

Cotton (Dallas)
    Chic-fil-a (Atlanta)
    Rose (Pasadena)
    Sugar (New Orleans)

Round 2

Fiesta (Tempe)
    Orange (Miami)

Round 3

Site from Round 1 (NO, Atlanta, Pasadena, Dallas)

Year 2

Round 1:

Cotton (Dallas)
    Fiesta (Tempe)
    Orange (Miami)
    Sugar (New Orleans)

Round 2

Chic-fil-a (Atlanta)
    Rose (Pasadena)

Round 3

Site from Round 1 (NO, Miami, Tempe, Dallas)

Year 3

Round 1:

Fiesta (Tempe)
    Orange (Miami)
    Chic-fil-a (Atlanta)
    Rose (Pasadena)

Round 2

Sugar (New Orleans)
    Cotton (Dallas)

Round 3

Site from Round 1 (Atlanta, Miami, Tempe, Pasadena)

etc ...

This would rotate every year with sites swapping between rounds 1 and 2. The ratings for all of these games would dramatically higher. I would also believe ticket sales would be higher because it's no longer a glorified scrimmage. So while fan bases of these team my not travel for all games fans of college football who live near these sites would probably make up the difference.

I'm not getting my hopes up. At best we'll get one more game out of these discussions

Turn Off Ads?