Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: BCS blather

Re: BCS blather

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm not getting my hopes up. At best we'll get one more game out of these discussions
    I'd love to see how Alabama would have game planned for a legitimate QB and offense like Oklahoma State. +1 is 100000000 times better than the garbage we have, it at least makes them prove it on the field rather than by computers or by human error.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I'd love to see how Alabama would have game planned for a legitimate QB and offense like Oklahoma State. +1 is 100000000 times better than the garbage we have, it at least makes them prove it on the field rather than by computers or by human error.
    Yet there's no system that would have eliminated LSU. The controversy was over whether Alabama made it

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm not getting my hopes up. At best we'll get one more game out of these discussions
    While I'd prefer an eight team playoff, adding a plus one championship game would be a big improvement over the current system.

I'd have been far more interested in an LSU vs. Alabama rematch if they'd beaten Stanford and Oklahoma State to get there.

Dan Wetzel wrote an interesting piece a few weeks ago about a 4 team playoff that even seemed to be amenable to the Rose Bowl and Pac 12, two of the three remaining sticks in the mud.

The four BCS bowls would rotate the championship game just as they do now. Three bowls would rotate as the two semi-final games every year. The exception is the Rose Bowl which didn't want to be part of that, which greatly benefits the other three. The Rose Bowl's perk is that it keeps the January 1, 5:00 PM time slot every year without exception.

The other twist here is that the BCS qualifyer is gone. Bowls were free to contract with whatever conference they wanted. The Rose Bowl could go back to being Big 10 vs Pac Ten every year. This would have been very nice for the Sugar bowl for instance which having lost the top two SEC schools, would still have been able to bring in Georgia or Arkansas if they wished.

I think this would put more pressure on the smaller conferences to either join forces or join a more established conference in order to secure a contract with a big bowl, but it wouldn't have any impact on their ability to make the National Semi-finals.

Anyway, it's an interesting thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I guess it was pretty obvious Alabama had their chance and didn't deserve another shot at LSU.

It was the least watched championship game in BCS history.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It was the least watched championship game in BCS history.
    But still the 2nd most watched show in cable history. Last year's BCS championship game was #1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

After a half dozen years the SEC actually lost a BCS championship game, so you would think that would make SEC haters happy.....oh wait, it took having another SEC team in the championship game for that to happen.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I guess it was pretty obvious Alabama had their chance and didn't deserve another shot at LSU.
    Nah, it's the fact that Alabama won and they're NC when both teams beat each other once. It makes no sense to crown them NC right now. Not to mention, LSU had the most impressive resume in recent memory.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

(Responding to no one in particular)

Paraphrasing some sportswriter on Twitter: If you have a system with a championship game, and people are arguing the loser of that game should still be champion, your system is broken.

To which I'll add: It's broken, but that's how it is. Set up the rules and then play it out. Change the rules for next time if need be.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Nah, it's the fact that Alabama won and they're NC when both teams beat each other once. It makes no sense to crown them NC right now. Not to mention, LSU had the most impressive resume in recent memory.
    LSU squeaked out a win vs Bama because Bama missed so many easy FGs. Bama just destroyed LSU. They are easily the #1 team IMO.

LSU squeaked out a win vs Bama because Bama missed so many easy FGs. Bama just destroyed LSU. They are easily the #1 team IMO.
    They still lost vs LSU the first time.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

ON ALABAMA's HOME FIELD. Do you think it's easy to win on the road?

Again, LSU ALSO had the most impressive resume in recent memory. They beat 3 teams who won BCS bowl games (ON THE ROAD, MIND YOU), had the same amount of losses as Alabama, and yet they're somehow CLEARLY #2.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    ON ALABAMA's HOME FIELD. Do you think it's easy to win on the road?

Again, LSU ALSO had the most impressive resume in recent memory. They beat 3 teams who won BCS bowl games (ON THE ROAD, MIND YOU), had the same amount of losses as Alabama, and yet they're somehow CLEARLY #2.
    Yes, they are clearly not #1. An overtime win against Alabama that with most kickers in the country, Alabama wins outright and a 21 point loss against Alabama with everything on the line means they aren't better than Alabama. Not sure what is confusing about that.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes, they are clearly not #1. An overtime win against Alabama that with most kickers in the country, Alabama wins outright and a 21 point loss against Alabama with everything on the line means they aren't better than Alabama. Not sure what is confusing about that.
    So LSU plays one extra game, plays a schedule that laughs at Alabama, they both lost to each other, (LSU won on the road btw), and you're arguing that Alabama is more deserving AFTER they get a 2nd chance at a rematch?

Ok doug.

Turn Off Ads?