Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: BCS blather

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Re: BCS blather

I'm for a playoff where the BCS conferences each send a representative, and the last 2 two teams are the highest ranked BCS teams that are not automatically sent. This allows a second school from a top conference to get in and also gives the TCU/Boise State/Houston a shot at getting in.

First round is a home game at the top 4 BCS ranked schools that are auto qualifyers. This means some games could be played in snow or very, very cold weather. (Yes!)

The semi-final is a rotation of the 2 of the 4 big bowl games, and the final is rotated amon the Big4 bowl games..

The odd-man-out of big bowl games gets their pick of the at large teams that year.

This makes the whole season a playoff. Win your conference championship and you go, otherwise it's off to a bowl game. If you can't win your conference, you don't get to go (unless you make one of the 2 at large bids). Each conference gets a shot at the big trophy and the little guys get a fighting shot at it as well.

If you are not of the top 8, you go play the bowls as we always have. People will still travel, people will still watch.

It's not a big burden on the kids, they would have played a bowl game anyways, only 4 school will play more than 1 post-season game.

The first 4 games would sell out no problem. I suspect it wouldn't be an issue to sell out the last 3 games (2 semi-final) either.

Not perfect, but does address some of the "deal breakers". The big losers might be the 4 big bowls, so this probably never happens.

GL

2. Turn Off Ads?

Southern California looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I'm for a playoff where the BCS conferences each send a representative, and the last 2 two teams are the highest ranked BCS teams that are not automatically sent. This allows a second school from a top conference to get in and also gives the TCU/Boise State/Houston a shot at getting in.

First round is a home game at the top 4 BCS ranked schools that are auto qualifyers. This means some games could be played in snow or very, very cold weather. (Yes!)

The semi-final is a rotation of the 2 of the 4 big bowl games, and the final is rotated amon the Big4 bowl games..

The odd-man-out of big bowl games gets their pick of the at large teams that year.

This makes the whole season a playoff. Win your conference championship and you go, otherwise it's off to a bowl game. If you can't win your conference, you don't get to go (unless you make one of the 2 at large bids). Each conference gets a shot at the big trophy and the little guys get a fighting shot at it as well.

If you are not of the top 8, you go play the bowls as we always have. People will still travel, people will still watch.

It's not a big burden on the kids, they would have played a bowl game anyways, only 4 school will play more than 1 post-season game.

The first 4 games would sell out no problem. I suspect it wouldn't be an issue to sell out the last 3 games (2 semi-final) either.

Not perfect, but does address some of the "deal breakers". The big losers might be the 4 big bowls, so this probably never happens.

GL
    I support basically this plan, except I would have the first round of the 8-team playoff take place the weekend after conference championship games (at the home stadium of the higher seeded teams, as you suggest), or otherwise take place in early December. Then the 4 losers can still play in traditional bowl games.

The 4 winners can play two playoff games on New Years Day, and you can give those games to traditional bowls (rotating between the big bowls, I guess, if you have to, again as you suggest). The championship game would be a week later, which is when it is now anyway. You could even have the 3rd and 4th place team play a consolidation bowl the day before. Again, that game could also be given to a traditional bowl.

It's hard to see any loser in this scenario.

GL
    Actually, I'd take 1 step further, include the top 12 BCS teams, or perhaps some combination of conference winners, plus the next highest BCS ranked teams. Top 4 get a bye week 1, while 9-12 play at 5-8. The winners play the following week at 1-4. Then give me 2 semi-finals at a neutral site, then a championship game the week before the super bowl. How do you work the bowl games into that scenerio? I don't know, I guess I don't care too much, perhaps schedule is such that round 2 is on/around Jan 1, then have a bunch of games the week b/w the 1st round and the 2nd round for teams that didn't qualify.

This means some games could be played in snow or very, very cold weather. (Yes!)
    I agree with what you've typed up except for this part. Watching bowl games on t.v. in the snow would be great. Unfortunately, it's a hard sell to 80,000 fans (including this one) to travel north for a bowl game. One bad snowstorm could make bowl season hell.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

So Alabama is rooting for LSU to beat Arkansas so they(Alabama) don't win their division because if they did win their division they'd have to play in the SEC championship game and win in order to play for a National Championship.Just finish second guys and your in the National Championship Game!!!

Will be interesting to see how people's opinions come out this time. Back in 2006, the choruses from the SEC crowd were that a team should not play for the national championship if they didn't win their conference. We also heard a lot of "they had their chance" so why should they get another one. If those who cried that in 2006 are consistent they will argue against a second SEC team in the title game.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I agree with what you've typed up except for this part. Watching bowl games on t.v. in the snow would be great. Unfortunately, it's a hard sell to 80,000 fans (including this one) to travel north for a bowl game. One bad snowstorm could make bowl season hell.

Not bowl games. Home games. Zero problem selling them out when the home team is a top4 team or won their conference. Weather is not a factor for the home team or their fans, just the visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Will be interesting to see how people's opinions come out this time. Back in 2006, the choruses from the SEC crowd were that a team should not play for the national championship if they didn't win their conference. We also heard a lot of "they had their chance" so why should they get another one. If those who cried that in 2006 are consistent they will argue against a second SEC team in the title game.
    Who is more deserving this time around?

I certainly don't want a rematch, but it's a tough sell for me to think that any of the other one loss teams would measure up to what Alabama has done thusfar.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

The BCS should have fixed this way back in 03 when Oklahoma got into the title game without winning their conference.
    Go Gators!

What was wrong with the original system we had? You know? When we had 15 games on New Years Day? Ugggh, I hate this new system and a playoff will make it even worse.

I guess I don't see the BCS changing in a big-bang 8 or 16 team playoffs kind of way. If it changes, it will be in a more evolving way.

I think if they go to the "plus one" game, that's a good start. Seed the top 4 teams, 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3. Then the winners play. Put these games in the 4 big bowls (2 semis and a finals) and the left-out bowl gets its pick of the next 2 teams. Rotate it all around like they do now.

Once that toe gets put in the door, its inevitable that it will expand to 8 or 16 teams.

And I'd love to see a "bad winter" game get played in the north. All the Big 10 teams would sell out their stadiums. There might be a problem with a Big East team though since their attendance is spotty. I'd love a snow-bowl game though. We used to play those as a kid and slip and slide and wreck someones back yard and get completely frozen but have a gas. I miss mud games too.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Frankly, this isn't the BCS' fault, its the fault of the B10, Pac12, ACC & B12 for failing to field a team fails to capture BCS title aspirations.
    Either that or the strength of the SEC is making a mockery of those other conferences. Depends on how you look at it I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Stanford, Okie State, Boise State, VA Tech, and Houston? If anything, the system is revealing its natural bias towards the SEC.
    So the computer has a bias now?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    What was wrong with the original system we had? You know? When we had 15 games on New Years Day? Ugggh, I hate this new system and a playoff will make it even worse.
    I take this system a 100 times out of 100. It's certainly not perfect. But you generally get two of the better teams playing each. Before it was all politics on who played who in a bowl. For example the SEC champion was slotted for the Sugar Bowl. They could play the 3rd best team from the Big 8 and still claim a national championship. You had no way to match up two of the best teams and call it a real champion.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    So the computer has a bias now?
    The computers have the Big 12 as the best conference this year and three of the six BCS computer rankings have OK State as #2 and Alabama #3 (the other three have it reversed). If OK State wins out, they would most likely pass Alabama in all of the computers. A one-loss OK State deserves to play for the title more than Alabama does.

Turn Off Ads?