Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: BCS blather

Re: BCS blather

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    You don't know that. Alabama had their chance and blew it. Oklahoma State should get that same chance if they beat Oklahoma next week.
    That's my point. It was already a playoff game by default. Alabama lost. . .at home to LSU. LSU, played quite possibly one of the toughest schedules in the past 15 years, beat Alabama on their homefield, plays another game against a Top 10 UGA team, and Alabama could win the NC if they just beat LSU once. . . all the while LSU already beat them with a much tougher schedule.

Yeah, it makes complete sense to vote Alabama the National Champion or let them have another shot at it.

IMO, if LSU beats UGA on Saturday, LSU should win the NC no matter what happens in the bowl game.

On the other hand, if LSU loses on Saturday, then yes I'd agree that it should be LSU/'Bama for the National Title.
    Last edited by Todd Gack; 11-27-2011 at 12:49 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

You don't know that. Alabama had their chance and blew it. Oklahoma State should get that same chance if they beat Oklahoma next week.
    So the team that lost to an unranked team should get a chance that a team that lost to a #1 team doesn't deserve?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    That's my point. It was already a playoff game by default. Alabama lost. . .at home to LSU. LSU, played quite possibly one of the toughest schedules in the past 15 years, beat Alabama on their homefield, plays another game against a Top 10 UGA team, and Alabama could win the NC if they just beat LSU once. . . all the while LSU already beat them with a much tougher schedule.
    No, it wasn't a playoff game by default. Why? Because the national championship can still easily include Alabama. It wasn't a playoff because Alabama was still able to continue playing after the loss.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    So the team that lost to an unranked team should get a chance that a team that lost to a #1 team doesn't deserve?
    So a team that lost at home should get a rematch with that same team? How is that fair?

The point of the National Championship is to have the two best teams in the country play against each other, correct? Than it's got to be Alabama vs. LSU. People can be frustrated about that due to the teams being from the same conference (and division for that matter) and the snoozefest they already put on, but there's no real denying those are the two best teams in the country.

So a team that lost at home should get a rematch with that same team? How is that fair?
    This is really a case where OSU might end up paying big time for the Big 12 not having a conference championship game this year. Several other one loss teams have one ( ex Va Tech) but even with the extra resume building they probably don't have enough juice. Assuming OSU beats OU, an extra game might've caused them to leap frog Bama.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

How is anything in college football fair? Let's pretend that LSU loses in the SEC championship game for a second. That will leave one team who is undefeated in the country and there is NO CHANCE they would get to play for the title.

But with the current system we have, it is fair.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

A few weeks ago shortly after LSU-Alabama, I heard Tony Barnhart on a radio show saying he thought there was a lot of antipathy among voters for a rematch, even though certain quarters were already hyping the possibility. And he didn't rule out the voters doing a little "adjusting" in order to produce the matchup they wanted. Of course, that presumes a viable alternative to the rematch, and OSU slipped up after that. So I think the Cowboys have to lay a paddling of historic proportions on Oklahoma to have any chance to sneak ahead, and even that may not be enough.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Attack Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    The point of the National Championship is to have the two best teams in the country play against each other, correct? Than it's got to be Alabama vs. LSU. People can be frustrated about that due to the teams being from the same conference (and division for that matter) and the snoozefest they already put on, but there's no real denying those are the two best teams in the country.
    It's not that simple. There is not way to objectively know if one team is better then another without them playing. The one thing we do know, is that LSU was better then Alabama in their own stadium. Is Alabama probably better then then OSU? Sure. But to my mind another team deserves a shot to test itself against LSU.

Honestly, I hope we do get a rematch so we can see how hollow the whole "every week is a playoff" rhetoric is when it comes to the BCS.
    Last edited by OUReds; 11-27-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OUReds View Post
    It's not that simple. There is not way to objectively know if one team is better then another without them playing. The one thing we do know, is that LSU was better then Alabama in their own stadium. Is Alabama probably better then then OSU? Sure. But to my mind another team deserves a shot to test itself against LSU.
    No, we know that LSU won the game. I don't think for a second that LSU is better than Alabama is.

Attack Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No, we know that LSU won the game. I don't think for a second that LSU is better than Alabama is.
    What exactly would convince you? They won in their own house in primetime.

So a team that lost to an unranked team should get a shot at a national championship? How is that fair?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Attack Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    So a team that lost to an unranked team should get a shot at a national championship? How is that fair?
    It's not, nothing about the BCS is fair.

Honestly, I hope we do get a rematch so we can see how hollow the whole "every week is a playoff" rhetoric is when it comes to the BCS.
    Why does OSU deserve at shot at LSU when they can't beat lowly Iowa St.?

What exactly would convince you? They won in their own house in primetime.
    Beating them again. I watched the game. At no point did I ever think that LSU was the better team.

Turn Off Ads?