Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Albert Pujols' age

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Albert Pujols' age

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/11/21/2...-albert-pujols

Apparently him being 31 isn't a popular opinion, according to the poll...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Albert Pujols' age

I think he's 31. Age fraud is a pretty common thing, and it happened with one of our prospects this year, Correa. But I also think that we're reading too much into his stats decline... not everybody has the same physicality, and some guys just fall off. Nobody's questioning Dunn's age; his physical tools just dropped off a cliff, and it's partly due to his style of play. Pujols may be the same way, just under more scrutiny.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I personally hope that we've been beaten all these years in the NL central thanks to a guy who wasn't cheating and was the best in the world at one time. Better than having dirt kicked in your face by sluggers winning on rich teams for pretty much 20 years that then casually admit that you've been getting gipped out of a fair game for as long as you can remember.

Interesting article. I can see where lying about his age now is making a difference now, but now as much back when he was being scouted. I mean, if a guy can hit a 450 foot homer, there's not much to argue about! I would be interested to hear what those scouts from then have to say about Pujols.

Quote Originally Posted by brad1176 View Post
    Interesting article. I can see where lying about his age now is making a difference now, but now as much back when he was being scouted. I mean, if a guy can hit a 450 foot homer, there's not much to argue about! I would be interested to hear what those scouts from then have to say about Pujols.
    An 18 year old who is 3 years away from the majors is a whole not more appealing than a 21 year old 3 years away from making the majors.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    An 18 year old who is 3 years away from the majors is a whole not more appealing than a 21 year old 3 years away from making the majors.
    True, but we're talking about Pujols. If he was hitting as well as what they say he was hitting, no one would have cared if he was 18 or 21. Something else scared teams away, and it wouldn't have been wondering what position he would play. Teams typically line up to sign these types of players and he drops to the 13th round?

He came to the US in High School... that seems a bit far fetched to really think he'd start lying to he could make future tens of millions of dollars more because of a lowered ago .

Besides, if there were something out there, SOMEONE would have found it by now. You can rest assured that many people have been hoping to find this scoop if it is out there

I Love Birds

Pujols came to the US when he was 16. He also had to fill out paper work a few years ago when he took his US Citizenship test (which he scored a perfect 100% on) and when the Cards signed him to his first huge contract years ago, they did extensive research and never found any evidence to indicate he was any age except what he said.

This article is just the Marlins attempt to bring his price down. They're wasting their time. He won't sign with a team that after this season will average under 10,000 fans because he likes to play in front of an audience.
    (Watching a couple kissing at Busch Stadium) “Well, he’s kissing her on the strikes and she’s kissing him on the balls.”---a classic "Shannonism" from Cardinals broadcaster Mike Shannon

Turn Off Ads?