Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which starter do you want?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • James Shields, TB

44 83.02%
  • John Danks, CWS

5 9.43%
  • Gio Gonzalez, OAK

2 3.77%
  • Matt Garza, CHC

2 3.77%

Thread: Who do you want?

-The Insider-

Who do you want?

Let's just make a poll of this. Out of the four starters who do you want the Reds to trade for?

And I'm a complete idiot, I have no idea why I put "Jeff" Garza. It's obviously Matt. Sorry.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who do you want?

If Shields is available, he's the best guy. If not, then Garza is. I'd have Danks 3rd. Gio would be way down. I think he'd be awful in GABP. I'd put Wandy Rodriguez between Garza and Danks if he were on this list.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think nearly everyone would agree that Shields is the best pitcher in that group. It would also cost a lot more to obtain him and pay him. Once you factor in the salaries and trade chips to acquire each of these guys it may end up that Shields is not the best option. I voted Shields anyway.

Basing my opinion on the best value I gotta go with Danks. Not to mention we could likely put together some sort of package deal including Quentin and the Sox are the kind of team that can afford to work with us dollars wise.

Reds get Danks & Quentin plus cash

Sox get Volquez, Corcino & Grandal
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'd be interested in Matt Garza. Jeff Garza, not so much.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I think nearly everyone would agree that Shields is the best pitcher in that group. It would also cost a lot more to obtain him and pay him. Once you factor in the salaries and trade chips to acquire each of these guys it may end up that Shields is not the best option. I voted Shields anyway.
    Shields is signed for the next three years at $7, $9 and $12 Million respectively.

Danks will probably get in excess of $7 Million in his last year of arb and then he's a free agent.

Garza has 2 years of arb left with costs likely to be in excess of the $7 Million/$9 Million that Shields will cost over that time.

Gio is in his first year of arb and probably will get near $4 Million this year. There are a number of years of control left.

Contract wise, Gio is the best situation, but his huge walk totals coming to GABP scare the heck out of me. Shields is the best of what's left not only from a pitching standpoint, but contract situation as well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I really want World Peace, but I'll settle for Shields or Jeff Garza's brother Matt.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I voted for Garza.

He has had a more consistent career than Shields.
    The Reds tried hard to get Shields at the deadline, and just couldn't work out a deal... Seems like the price is too high or the clubs just don't match up.

The Cubs have a new GM that wants to infuse the system with youth. I'm assuming the Cubs will be more amenable to taking prospects further away from the big leagues. Thus, I think we match up better with the Cubs.

I would be thrilled with either Shields or Garza.
    Danks and Gio are a distant 3rd and 4th.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Contract wise, Gio is the best situation, but his huge walk totals coming to GABP scare the heck out of me.
    He also the only pitcher in this group who induces groundballs.

All of these guys are #2 starters. Shields has had the best career thus far and is the safest bet, but I think he will also be the most costly.

Danks is the most consistent. You can count on him having an ERA around 4.00 and he is groundball/flyball neutral. But he is a one year rental.

Garza is a head case who is coming off of an impressive season. He's been inconsistent, but if he could repeat his 2011 campaign then he would be my priority. Talk to the scouts.

Gonzalez is the wild card. His xFIP is right in line with the rest, but his control does scare me.

It all really comes down to what each pitcher would cost to acquire. I'd quite honestly be happy with the Reds acquiring any of these players, so long as they get the one who costs the least in trade value...

Turn Off Ads?