Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Green Bay Packers

The Green Bay Packers

I'd like the hear what RZ thinks about my favorite NFL team, the Green Bay Packers. I don't believe my guys are unbeatable despite their 10-0 record but they're looking pretty good.Going back to last year they've won 16 in a row including a Super Bowl victory. So what do you guys think?Is this a complete team that has everything it takes to go all the way or are they just a mediocre team that's being carried by a QB that's as hot as any QB's been in the long history of the NFL?
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 11-21-2011 at 10:43 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Green Bay Packers

They're pretty obviously the best team in the NFL, and it's not that close with the Colts, Patriots and Steelers all having down years to various degrees.

Doesn't seem like they are goo enough to go undefeated. I bet they lose to Detroit, Chicago or New York.

On another note, I took my first trip to Lambeau this year (for the Broncos game) and it is an amazing place. Really cool history, really great fans, and all-in-all just an amazing way to spend a Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I'd like the hear what RZ thinks about my favorite NFL team, the Green Bay Packers. I don't believe my guys are unbeatable despite their 10-0 record but they're looking pretty good.Going back to last year they've won 16 in a row including a Super Bowl victory. So what do you guys think?Is this a complete team that has everything it takes to go all the way or are they just a mediocre team that's being carried by a QB that's as hot as any QB's been in the long history of the NFL?
    If they don't lose on the back of a short week I don't see when they will any time soon. They've played a lot of football the last two years as a team and so if someone should go Indy the rest of the way it should be them. Get some people rested after they clinch.

I personally think they are just that good on offense right now. The defense has been feeding off of the offense putting up just sick points on everyone and its hidden some flaws on the unit because teams get 1 dimensional quickly against GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

You put this same exact team on the field 10 years ago, and they'd struggle to win 8 games. However, with it being nearly impossible to legally defend against passing in the NFL today, they're probably any even money shot to go undefeated.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    You put this same exact team on the field 10 years ago, and they'd struggle to win 8 games. However, with it being nearly impossible to legally defend against passing in the NFL today, they're probably any even money shot to go undefeated.
    AMEN. This team is average/above average in the mid 90's.

Their defense is near the bottom in most categories and somehow many consider them 'great.'

The NFL is an offense first league now, there is no denying it. And the Packers are very good at offense.

I don't know about that but I get your point.Would you say some teams that were good 10 years ago might struggle to win 8 games now?Green Bay is built to win now and teams 10 years ago where built to win then.It's a fair and possibly accurate observation.I just don't think you can take anything away from a team playing in the present based what your saying when considering how good they are.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Can Suh be anymore ridiculous? Blames everyone but himself for his own stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Can Suh be anymore ridiculous? Blames everyone but himself for his own stupidity.
    I know. That team reminds me a lot of the Bengals teams in 2005-2008: i.e., a bad franchise with players that are talented but simply incapable of handling the smallest amount of success.

You put this same exact team on the field 10 years ago, and they'd struggle to win 8 games.
    Struggle to win 8 games Hey? Lets see, I am familiar with the Packers of 10 years ago- Mike Sherman's 2001 Team. That team won 12 games in the regular season and one game in the playoffs before Favre had a major meltdown against St Louis. That Packer team was good but they couldn't get within 10 points of the 2010-2011 Pack. The present team has a much better organization, better coaching, a far superior passing attack, better kicking, more playmakers on defense, and is much, much deeper than the 2001 team. Its not even close. To say they would have "struggled to win 8 games" is simply foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    AMEN. This team is average/above average in the mid 90's.

Their defense is near the bottom in most categories and somehow many consider them 'great.'
    I remember the mid 90's Packers- played in two Super bowls, won one, got knocked out in the NFC Championship a few times. Obviously a team that was much better than "average/above average". But with all due respect to Desmond, Reggie and Leroy Butler, the present day Packers are better.

I don't know anyone who has called the Packer defense "great". But they have a defensive coordinator who is a genius, and a lot of playmakers in Matthews, Raj, Williams, and of course the incredible Woodson. They really miss Nick Collins. They're not great, but as they proved today, they're not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Struggle to win 8 games Hey? Lets see, I am familiar with the Packers of 10 years ago- Mike Sherman's 2001 Team. That team won 12 games in the regular season and one game in the playoffs before Favre had a major meltdown against St Louis. That Packer team was good but they couldn't get within 10 points of the 2010-2011 Pack. The present team has a much better organization, better coaching, a far superior passing attack, better kicking, more playmakers on defense, and is much, much deeper than the 2001 team. Its not even close. To say they would have "struggled to win 8 games" is simply foolish.
    Ten years ago, they'd have been manhandled by defenses and their inability to consistently run the football would cost them games. They're a very good team now, but a major product of the current rules which disallows physical play in the secondary and allows teams to be one-dimensional.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I don't know about that but I get your point.Would you say some teams that were good 10 years ago might struggle to win 8 games now?Green Bay is built to win now and teams 10 years ago where built to win then.It's a fair and possibly accurate observation.I just don't think you can take anything away from a team playing in the present based what your saying when considering how good they are.
    Oh absolutely -- that Ravens Super Bowl team from 2000 would have had a tough time playing in the current era due to the rules and their inability to pass effectively. The 2002 Tampa Bay team would probably have similar problems (John Lynch would be a 15-yard flag machine today).

Ten years ago, they'd have been manhandled by defenses and their inability to consistently run the football would cost them games. They're a very good team now, but a major product of the current rules which disallows physical play in the secondary and allows teams to be one-dimensional.
    This of course is coming from the guy who said about 15 straight wins ago that the Ravens could beat Green Bay on a neutral field. Right! Funny how the current rules haven't helped Joe Flacco much.

If Mccarthy wanted to run the ball he could. Starks is a load. When you've got an out of this world quarterback and six big time receivers, why run the ball? Defenses have to double team Finley and Jennings. They just have too. Which is why Jones, Nelson, Driver, and Cobb are always open.

Funny how physical players like Tramon Williams and Charles Woodson don't let current rules bother them. How'd that guy Johnson do today?

But I guess "They're a very good team now" is a nice concession. Thats what 17 straight wins will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    This of course is coming from the guy who said about 15 straight wins ago that the Ravens could beat Green Bay on a neutral field. Right! Funny how the current rules haven't helped Joe Flacco much.

If Mccarthy wanted to run the ball he could. Starks is a load. When you've got an out of this world quarterback and six big time receivers, why run the ball? Defenses have to double team Finley and Jennings. They just have too. Which is why Jones, Nelson, Driver, and Cobb are always open.

Funny how physical players like Tramon Williams and Charles Woodson don't let current rules bother them. How'd that guy Johnson do today?

But I guess "They're a very good team now" is a nice concession. Thats what 17 straight wins will do.
    They've won 17 straight games, and they epitomize everything I hate about the current NFL. I'm happy your fan and look forward to the next time you pop your head up to remind everyone how awesome you are.

Turn Off Ads?