Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 298

Thread: Beer Thread :Spinoff

  1. #121
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    41,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    You had me here.



    I love Portland. Had a great day at McMenamins Edgefield one day. What a cool place! Lots to do and great beer. I can't wait to go back there and to Portland one day.
    Seen some awesome shows there, wilco, modest mouse , pavement, the decemberists, further

    Our work had a retreat there once great place

    Not a huge fan of their beer but it works

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #122
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,661

    Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

    Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Unibroue is probably one of my favorite breweries, when all is taken into account. The beers are always great, and to be honest the artwork on the labels is really cool.

    Even before I got into "good beer," I would always notice the Maudite or La Fin du Monde bottles for their label. If you can find it, Trois Pistoles is another great one they mass release.
    If you have a Trader Joe's near you, their Holiday Vintage Ale is made by Unibroue. Unibroue also has another beer they're offering at TJs. The Vintage Ale is a steal at under $5.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  4. #123
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,661

    Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Is that north or south of I-275? The only BW3 I know of is north of 275 in Harpers Point but there's no Skyline there that I'm aware of.
    It's called the Root Cellar. Great selection, but it's a little ADD. You kind of have to sift through their inventory, but it's usually worth it. Also, you can go into the cooler in the back and sometimes they have some hidden gems stashed back there. Great store.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  5. #124
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

    Finally got my first Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout last week. Then my second.

    Ranked #6 in the world on Beer Advocate, it more than held up to the hype. It's aged for a year in a bourbon barrel, and has lots of coffee, vanilla, chocolate, and bourbon flavors. As a stout guy, it was one of my favorite beer experiences ever.

    Did anyone else find it? It only comes out once a year, and Pazzo's, where I got it, only got one five-gallon keg. I've looked around and it seems most places have about the same stock, and it's gone in a few hours.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

  6. #125
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,475

    Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

    Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Finally got my first Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout last week. Then my second.

    Ranked #6 in the world on Beer Advocate, it more than held up to the hype. It's aged for a year in a bourbon barrel, and has lots of coffee, vanilla, chocolate, and bourbon flavors. As a stout guy, it was one of my favorite beer experiences ever.

    Did anyone else find it? It only comes out once a year, and Pazzo's, where I got it, only got one five-gallon keg. I've looked around and it seems most places have about the same stock, and it's gone in a few hours.
    Founders does very well with such (heavy) beers. If you like that I encourage you to get your hands on another Michigan craft brew, Dragon's Milk from New Holland brewing co. It has won numerous awards and led the way for New Holland to be named the best craft brewery in the state of Mich.

  7. #126
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Founders does very well with such (heavy) beers. If you like that I encourage you to get your hands on another Michigan craft brew, Dragon's Milk from New Holland brewing co. It has won numerous awards and led the way for New Holland to be named the best craft brewery in the state of Mich.
    I actually had it a couple weeks ago for the first time. Beer Trappe here in Lexington sells bottles. It's good too; lots of chocolate in that one. I expected more of that bourbony vanilla flavor like I got in the KBS, but that's ok.

    I need to branch out in New Holland a little more. I've had the Poet, and that's a nice little stout, too.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

  8. #127
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    717

    Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

    Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I actually had it a couple weeks ago for the first time. Beer Trappe here in Lexington sells bottles. It's good too; lots of chocolate in that one. I expected more of that bourbony vanilla flavor like I got in the KBS, but that's ok.

    I need to branch out in New Holland a little more. I've had the Poet, and that's a nice little stout, too.
    Very good spot for quality brews. What's with the Restraunt / "Brewery" around the corner there? Something "River" if remember correctly? Are they brewing their own yet?
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

    All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

  9. #128
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Founders does very well with such (heavy) beers. If you like that I encourage you to get your hands on another Michigan craft brew, Dragon's Milk from New Holland brewing co. It has won numerous awards and led the way for New Holland to be named the best craft brewery in the state of Mich.
    Dragon's Milk is fantastic, I second this.

    I tried the Mikkeller Weasel Brunch Stout not too long ago. I went to an awesome craft beer bar in Atlanta (The Porter, if anyone is familiar) and the manager set me up with one. It was pretty good, but nothing too outstanding about it.

    What made it interesting, for those who don't know (and I didn't at the time), is how the coffee that is infused in this stout is acquired. Civet coffee beans, also known as Kopi Luwak, are collected from the droppings of Civet cats which are found in South East Asia. They are more like weasels than house cats, hence the name of the beer. They eat the berries, and the digestion process produces some flavors not usually seen in coffee, and it's apparently quite expensive and highly sought after by enthusiasts.

    I probably wouldn't try it again, but it's a nice ice breaker at parties and social functions.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

  10. #129
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    717

    Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

    Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Dragon's Milk is fantastic, I second this.

    I tried the Mikkeller Weasel Brunch Stout not too long ago. I went to an awesome craft beer bar in Atlanta (The Porter, if anyone is familiar) and the manager set me up with one. It was pretty good, but nothing too outstanding about it.

    What made it interesting, for those who don't know (and I didn't at the time), is how the coffee that is infused in this stout is acquired. Civet coffee beans, also known as Kopi Luwak, are collected from the droppings of Civet cats which are found in South East Asia. They are more like weasels than house cats, hence the name of the beer. They eat the berries, and the digestion process produces some flavors not usually seen in coffee, and it's apparently quite expensive and highly sought after by enthusiasts.

    I probably wouldn't try it again, but it's a nice ice breaker at parties and social functions.
    I've had that a local beer nerd bar here in Louisville. Like you, I didn't really care for it so I won't be trying it again.

    Best stout I had over the Winter was Odin's Tipple. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile...ervT=1&start=0
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

    All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

  11. #130
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    255

    Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

    Speaking of great stouts, I'm going to pick up a six-pack of North Coast Scrimshaw on the way home.



    For my money, North Coast is the best brewery in the country (with both Rasputin and Pranqster being other favorites), and the Scrimshaw doesn't disappoint. It's a pilsner, but more akin to the traditional varieties of eastern Europe. Like good pilsners in this vein, it's a great balanced, drinkable beer. It's not crammed with flavor like so many craft brews these days, it's just damn refreshing. Another great one is Six Point's Crisp (a good adjective for these beers). Anybody else favor Czech pilsners?

  12. #131
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

    Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Very good spot for quality brews. What's with the Restraunt / "Brewery" around the corner there? Something "River" if remember correctly? Are they brewing their own yet?
    Glen Creek Brewery. They're not actually doing anything of their own. I've heard the beer list is pretty good, but that it's pricey. That building is cursed anyway, so I wouldn't expect to have them around long.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

  13. #132
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,774

    Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Speaking of great stouts, I'm going to pick up a six-pack of North Coast Scrimshaw on the way home.



    For my money, North Coast is the best brewery in the country (with both Rasputin and Pranqster being other favorites), and the Scrimshaw doesn't disappoint. It's a pilsner, but more akin to the traditional varieties of eastern Europe. Like good pilsners in this vein, it's a great balanced, drinkable beer. It's not crammed with flavor like so many craft brews these days, it's just damn refreshing. Another great one is Six Point's Crisp (a good adjective for these beers). Anybody else favor Czech pilsners?
    I'm a pilsner fan. Beer that tastes like beer is a truly great thing. I prefer straighforward pilsners and lagers like Scrimshaw and Stella.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  14. #133
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,475

    Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

    If you're into Chocolate beers try the local Triple Digit brewery creation called Chickow:

    http://tripledigitbrewing.com/our-beers/

    I had it at the Incline Public House a week ago on the west side of town. It's truly a dessert beer. I wish my Mom was with me. She doesn't believe me when I say beer is so diverse right now that there's a beer for everyone and I think really think she'd like a few sips of that one. Personally I don't need that much chocolate in my beer but I admire the creativity

  15. #134

  16. #135
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    255

    Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

    Big fan of both Tugboat and Amnesia. Crazy how much the beer scene, let alone the city, has changed since I left four years ago.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25