Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread :Spinoff

Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Aside from that, there is a beer event on Fountain Square but I'm not a fan of this one because the money spent is weighted towards the fund raiser portion and not so much towards the beer. It works like this: You pay about $40 bucks and for that you get more beer than you can drink--25 beer "tastes" of 5 oz each. Nobody needs that much. Oktoberfest 100% of your money goes towards beer since there is no cover. Brew Ha Ha has a $5 cover and even with that, you'll only spend about $20 total for an evening of beer. You're looking at twice that much at the event this weekend.

Having said that, the Beer Baron's Ball is also a find raiser but many black tie events are and at least we'll get food as well. I'll have to see whether it's worth it, but it's a completely different kind of event than these street beer festivals
    In looking over some other sources including their website, I want to issue a correction. They do have other options in addition to the $40 one. If you go the day of the event (either tonight or tomorrow night) you can get in for as little as $15. This gives you enough for either two beers or five 5 oz. tastings. Additional beers are $5/beer or $2/tasting. So in other words, you pay a $5 fee to get in and with that you get a plastic 5 oz glass. I think that's reasonable and I'll now endorse this event if you're looking for something like this to do this weekend. I'll also add that Fri night is usually much less crowded than Sat...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I went there the last time I was in town and really enjoyed it. Loved the IPA in particular (I think it was the IPA?) and it's a beautiful building. If you manage to go again and are still hungry, Roy, there's food cart out front (of course there's a food cart out front) that sells delicious gourmet pizza.

And then we went to Neon's, so I guess we are all pretty predictable over on this board.
    My taste buds have gone other places and I really can't tolerate IPA's. Way too piney and they give me headaches. So I guess I'll never get my hipster card. I'll just keep my Golden Buckeye card I guess we fit the profile.

Zach said they only had food trucks on weekends. And cranky old bastard dad was hungry.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

4. Likes:

vaticanplum (09-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Hey Roy, if you're a Masonite and a beer guy, have you tried out Lucky Dog Cafe? Their food is pretty much standard bar fare, with their wings being slightly better than average. It's a non descript kinda place, in the plaza behind Speedway, across the street from Brazenhead on Tylersville. But their beer selection is solid.

http://www.luckydoggrille.com/files/...age06.2013.jpg
    Actually yes, we've been there a couple times. For whatever reason, it hasn't gotten worked into our normal rotation. We usually go to Campioni's down the road on 42 and Western Row for pizza and cheap beer.

Actually, the building that Lucky Dog is in used to be the local BW3 and we went there a lot when it was still suburban cool and just a bit funky. Then they built that mogombo BW3 the size of an aircraft carrier down the road.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Interesting article on the state of US Craft Beer and different markers.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101033090
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Has anyone here ever gone to the annual Great American Beer Festival in Denver? I'm treating myself to it in two weeks. I've heard that it is the Beer Festival to go to. I don't know about 1 oz samples; sounds a little wimpy to me but we'll see. I heard that it sold out in 20 mins. Lucky that there's stub Hub...

Has anyone here ever gone to the annual Great American Beer Festival in Denver? I'm treating myself to it in two weeks. I've heard that it is the Beer Festival to go to. I don't know about 1 oz samples; sounds a little wimpy to me but we'll see. I heard that it sold out in 20 mins. Lucky that there's stub Hub...
    This was a lot of fun. They had over 3000 beers there making it the prestigious place to get an award. They broke the beer down into 84 different categories including coffee beer, chocolate beer, Bavarian Pilsner, German Pilsner and experimental beer. Cincinnati dominated the Bock beers. Sam Adams (Cincinnati site) took the gold and Christian Moerlein took the silver. Here's the entire list of winners:

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival...ition/winners/

I attended a class at the festival that described how they judge those beers. It's not just on taste but on whether it meets the expectations of that class of beer. For instance they expect an IPA to be bitter whereas they would mark down a lager for that same quality.

I sampled my first Pumpkin Lager. Usually those are Ales.

Beer dominated the area like a Super Bowl. Everyone you ran into at the airport, hotel or on the street was talking beer. In fact Denver decided to piggyback its own beer festival that week although I didn't attend that. I was able to bounce around the numerous craft beer pubs around Coors Field. They had some tasty food too. They had an event where a chef cooked food on a stage and then they passed around samples along with a cup of beer to show how you pair food with beer. That's kind of the latest thing in the craft beer scene--seeing how food pairings enhance a beer

Even though these tickets sold out in July in 20 mins there were plenty to be had on Stub Hub. I think if I lived in the area, I'd not necessarily splurge every year and buy tickets but I'd try to do what I could to be a volunteer. There were lots of volunteers and they got generous pours to my eye as they they were allowed to imbibe.

This place was more about volume than quality. This weekend I'm headed up to the Fall Beer Festival in Detroit. I've only attended this once before but for my tastes it had the most "home runs" I've ever experienced at a tasting. Maybe it's because I prefer Fall-Winter beers but I also think it has something to do with the quality of Michigan beer. IMO Michigan beer quality is above and beyond Colorado even though in terms of production that state is #1 in the country with 240 breweries. Mich has 140. We'll see if I just happened upon a good day or if that Detroit show really is tops, but I'm looking forward to it

This was a lot of fun. They had over 3000 beers there making it the prestigious place to get an award. They broke the beer down into 84 different categories including coffee beer, chocolate beer, Bavarian Pilsner, German Pilsner and experimental beer. Cincinnati dominated the Bock beers. Sam Adams (Cincinnati site) took the gold and Christian Moerlein took the silver. Here's the entire list of winners:

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival...ition/winners/
    OK, I just looked at that list and my mind was blown because I saw that Old Style won 2 silver medals and Natural Ice won a gold. Who judged these categories, drunken frat boys? If those were the winners, I'd hate to drink what didn't win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    OK, I just looked at that list and my mind was blown because I saw that Old Style won 2 silver medals and Natural Ice won a gold. Who judged these categories, drunken frat boys? If those were the winners, I'd hate to drink what didn't win.
    Yeah, I noticed that too and the answer to your question has more to do with the category than the nasty tasting beer that won. In other words, don't drink American Style Cream Ale. Given that there were 84 different categories, you won't "like" all of them. Miller Lite and Miller High Life won as well. I'd like to know what they consider an American Light Lager. At the class I attended they only showed us two of the 84 categories. If I'd had this list in front of me, I would have liked to ask them about the American Cream Ale and Light Lager categories.

Bottomline is that for craft beer drinkers, American Cream Ale and Light Lager are nasty beers but we're in the minority. By sales nationwide, Bud Light and Coors Light are #1 and 2 by a long shot.(Natty Ice is also in the top 20).

FWIW, I would only touch 4 of those top 20 beers (Yuengling, Heineken, Modelo Especial, and Corona

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/ne....html?page=all

11. Likes:

Chip R (10-22-2013)

FWIW, I would only touch 4 of those top 20 beers (Yuengling, Heineken, Modelo Especial, and Corona
    Really? I will drink Miller Lite, Bud Light, Bud and Coors Light depending on the situation. They aren't my favorite, I would prefer a micro brew with a little more taste, but I don't mind the mass produced popular brews. Now I won't touch an ice beer or Nati or Beast, been there done that. Heck I generally have a few Miller Lite's floating around in the fridge, mostly leftovers from softball.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Really? I will drink Miller Lite, Bud Light, Bud and Coors Light depending on the situation. They aren't my favorite, I would prefer a micro brew with a little more taste, but I don't mind the mass produced popular brews. Now I won't touch an ice beer or Nati or Beast, been there done that. Heck I generally have a few Miller Lite's floating around in the fridge, mostly leftovers from softball.
    I'm not a lite beer guy. Might as well drink water

14. Likes:

Bob Sheed (11-21-2013),Chip R (10-24-2013),reds1869 (11-02-2013)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Yeah, I noticed that too and the answer to your question has more to do with the category than the nasty tasting beer that won. In other words, don't drink American Style Cream Ale. Given that there were 84 different categories, you won't "like" all of them. Miller Lite and Miller High Life won as well. I'd like to know what they consider an American Light Lager. At the class I attended they only showed us two of the 84 categories. If I'd had this list in front of me, I would have liked to ask them about the American Cream Ale and Light Lager categories.

Bottomline is that for craft beer drinkers, American Cream Ale and Light Lager are nasty beers but we're in the minority. By sales nationwide, Bud Light and Coors Light are #1 and 2 by a long shot.(Natty Ice is also in the top 20).

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/ne....html?page=all
    That's an interesting list of winners. I was surprised that some of the big boys in the craft scene weren't there (Boston Beer Co., Dogfish Head, Sierra Nevada, Stone) or else they didn't win anything, which would be a shocker. I'd love to get hold of the list of entries as well.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    That's an interesting list of winners. I was surprised that some of the big boys in the craft scene weren't there (Boston Beer Co., Dogfish Head, Sierra Nevada, Stone) or else they didn't win anything, which would be a shocker. I'd love to get hold of the list of entries as well.
    Isn't Boston Beer Co the same as Sam Adams? Like I said earlier, Sam Adams won the gold for their Doppelbock.

It's tough to win medals at this competition. They first have to get entered. They only accept a limited number of entries. Then you have to transport your beer their in god shape. Then you need some good luck. Christian Moerlein is thrilled with their medal and are touting it:

Winning a medal at GABF is mind-bogglingly hard. It's a huge competition, and being an excellent beer is only one (albeit the most important) criteria. It's a competition that rewards strict adherence to style (and the styles shift a little every year). You have to get your beer to Denver in good shape. Heck, you have to make sure you are even able to get your beer entered since there's a set number of entrants allowed. To win at GABF is really threading the needle. You have to be good, but things also have to break your way. That's why it's perfectly justified to be really, really happy if you win, but you shouldn't get down on yourself too much if you don't. You'll never know who came in fourth, after all...
    http://www.hoperatives.com/?p=15434

I'm not a lite beer guy. Might as well drink water
    I like to drink my beer not eat it.

I prefer beers on the lighter side of things. Pilsners, Lagers, some Ales, some IPS's, as well as Oktoberfest's. I have tried the beers on the darker end of the spectrum and never really liked them. Now I get hellatious hangovers if I have just a few dark beers.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I like to drink my beer not eat it.

I prefer beers on the lighter side of things. Pilsners, Lagers, some Ales, some IPS's, as well as Oktoberfest's. I have tried the beers on the darker end of the spectrum and never really liked them. Now I get hellatious hangovers if I have just a few dark beers.
    I largely agree with you but I also want some taste. Coors lite has no taste. To a German (and that's my heritage) drinking an English Ale is like drinking maple syrup. That's where I come from. I like the smoothness of the lagers but I want a full bodied taste. I find Oktoberfests and Bocks fit that bill nicely.

No more Old Style at Wrigley Field.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chicago...0838--mlb.html
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?