Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread :Spinoff

Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Agreed on Full Sail. Their seasonal beers (LTD and Wassail) are all right, but everything else tastes fairly generic and bland to me.

Big fan of Laurelwood as well. Hopwerks not so much.
    The original brewer for Laurelwood is the Hopwerks owner, but I do like LW more

2. Turn Off Ads?
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Hey guys. I hardly ever remember to read these beer threads, but craft beer has been one of my favorite things for some time now.

I was wondering what everyone here thinks of Founders? I can get it in NJ, so I imagine most Reds fans are within the distribution area. I've been doing the low carb thing for most of 2012, so I haven't tried many beers lately, but Founders is probably in my top 3 overall for craft beers. KBS in particular I love. (Local watering hole was supposed to get the CBS on cask last summer/fall, but it never happened unfortunately.)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Hey guys. I hardly ever remember to read these beer threads, but craft beer has been one of my favorite things for some time now.

I was wondering what everyone here thinks of Founders? I can get it in NJ, so I imagine most Reds fans are within the distribution area. I've been doing the low carb thing for most of 2012, so I haven't tried many beers lately, but Founders is probably in my top 3 overall for craft beers. KBS in particular I love. (Local watering hole was supposed to get the CBS on cask last summer/fall, but it never happened unfortunately.)
    Founders is one of many craft breweries in the state of Michigan, an area that I'm quite familiar with. Founders doesn't fit my tastes as well as others up there such as Shorts and Bells but that's because I like to go for the lagers and Founders is known for its heavier beers. If I am in the mood for a sipping beer, Founders does put out some good stouts

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Founders is one of many craft breweries in the state of Michigan, an area that I'm quite familiar with. Founders doesn't fit my tastes as well as others up there such as Shorts and Bells but that's because I like to go for the lagers and Founders is known for its heavier beers. If I am in the mood for a sipping beer, Founders does put out some good stouts
    Pretty much spot on. I am not a big Founders fan because the beers are more heavy and more "tasty". I am more a fan of Pilsners, Lagers, and Ale's from time to time. Founders often falls outside of my taste likes.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Pretty much spot on. I am not a big Founders fan because the beers are more heavy and more "tasty". I am more a fan of Pilsners, Lagers, and Ale's from time to time. Founders often falls outside of my taste likes.
    You and I would do well meeting at the Lager House

Most of my favorite beers are from Belguim. IMO some of the best beers in the world. 99% of the time you wont find these on tap. Usually bought in Pints and enjoyed at home. Select bars have it on tap or in bottle.

A lot of the times I will buy a bottle based on the labels, if it interest me I will try it. That is how I discovered my favorite beer as of now.

La Fin Du Monde:

Had this at The DingleHouse in Union Centre.

Ommegang Abbey
    This was at Brazenhead in Mason for awhile, no longer there. Will make a trip to Jungle Jims, if not I will check out Party Source.

Nocturnum Delirium
    My favorite beer for the past year or two. First tried it at The DingleHouse. It is available at Jungle Jims in Pint only. They usually have 4-6 in stock. The better of the 3 Delirium. Spicier, heavier and not as sweet as the Tremens. Also available at the beer store next to Skyline, across from BW3's on Montgomery Road.

Old Buccaneer beer aka Biere de boucanier
    Pretty good. Again is available at the same store on Montgomery Road.

Trappistes Rochefort 10
    probably my 2nd favorite at the time.
    Again at the store on Montgomery Road.

These are not too expensive. But they arent beers you party with. They are beers you sit down with that special someone, or a celebritory beer.

After drinking these I cant really do normal beers anymore. Budweiser is about as low as I will go. Yeungling sucks(tastes like bad budweiser with some flavor added).

For the Reds games...Summer Shandy with Pulled Pork Sandwich. Perfect dinner for watching batting practice before the game.
    "Why you going to the Airport; flying somewhere?"

Quote Originally Posted by nismoredlegs View Post
    Most of my favorite beers are from Belguim. IMO some of the best beers in the world. 99% of the time you wont find these on tap. Usually bought in Pints and enjoyed at home. Select bars have it on tap or in bottle.

A lot of the times I will buy a bottle based on the labels, if it interest me I will try it. That is how I discovered my favorite beer as of now.
    Thanks for your excellent contribution to this thread!

Your tastes run a little heavier than mine but that's how beer preferences vary. Your detail and pithiness are to be commended. I wasn't aware of that beer store on Mont Rd. I'll have to check it out

I don't have a lot of experience with Belgium beer but I am a fan of Stella Artois. I personally feel Germans represent the gold standard in beer brewing but I've been told by someone who was over there that actually Czech beer is as good as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Thanks for your excellent contribution to this thread!

Your tastes run a little heavier than mine but that's how beer preferences vary. Your detail and pithiness are to be commended. I wasn't aware of that beer store on Mont Rd. I'll have to check it out

I don't have a lot of experience with Belgium beer but I am a fan of Stella Artois. I personally feel Germans represent the gold standard in beer brewing but I've been told by someone who was over there that actually Czech beer is as good as it gets.
    Czechs drink more beer per capita than any other nationality in the world.

Belgian's still do it best though, IMO...

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

La Fin Du Monde:
    Had this at The DingleHouse in Union Centre.
    Unibroue is probably one of my favorite breweries, when all is taken into account. The beers are always great, and to be honest the artwork on the labels is really cool.

Even before I got into "good beer," I would always notice the Maudite or La Fin du Monde bottles for their label. If you can find it, Trois Pistoles is another great one they mass release.

Also available at the beer store next to Skyline, across from BW3's on Montgomery Road.
    Is that north or south of I-275? The only BW3 I know of is north of 275 in Harpers Point but there's no Skyline there that I'm aware of.

Sorry for the late response. Address is 7699 Montgomery Road. It is in between a Larosas and a Skyline. Across the street will be a plaza with a BW3's and a MacAllisters. Its about a mile from Kenwood Mall.
    "Why you going to the Airport; flying somewhere?"

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Unibroue is probably one of my favorite breweries, when all is taken into account. The beers are always great, and to be honest the artwork on the labels is really cool.
    I have had two of their beers. One with a big ship on it (blech) and one with a a smaller ship on it that was outstanding.

GL

/anybody had Pliney the Elder?

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I have had two of their beers. One with a big ship on it (blech) and one with a a smaller ship on it that was outstanding.

GL

/anybody had Pliney the Elder?
    Yes and have had pliney the younger, got them both straight from the brewer.

Beer

http://blog.zagat.com/2013/04/cant-m...und-world.html

Portland, Oregon

The West Coast beer haven of Portland has more breweries per person than any other city in the U.S.: more than 30 at last count. Hops and barley are grown locally, so you know that your microbrew will be fresh and natural.

Where to Drink: Try drinking at home-grown breweries and taverns like Widmer Gasthaus, the New Old Lompoc and Bridgeport. If you want to drink more, arrange a ride through Portland's Brew Bus Tour, which visits 20 city establishments. The Oregon Brewers Festival is held each July and features more than 80 craft beers.

Average price for a beer: $3.30

Bolded - My Pub

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Beer
    You had me here.

http://blog.zagat.com/2013/04/cant-m...und-world.html

Portland, Oregon

The West Coast beer haven of Portland has more breweries per person than any other city in the U.S.: more than 30 at last count. Hops and barley are grown locally, so you know that your microbrew will be fresh and natural.

Where to Drink: Try drinking at home-grown breweries and taverns like Widmer Gasthaus, the New Old Lompoc and Bridgeport. If you want to drink more, arrange a ride through Portland's Brew Bus Tour, which visits 20 city establishments. The Oregon Brewers Festival is held each July and features more than 80 craft beers.

Average price for a beer: $3.30

Bolded - My Pub
    I love Portland. Had a great day at McMenamins Edgefield one day. What a cool place! Lots to do and great beer. I can't wait to go back there and to Portland one day.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?