Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: Beer Thread :Spinoff

Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

A good friend of mine has just started kegging his own brews. He's super excited about brewing and his beers aren't bad. He is one of those people who doesn't do half way, he's diving way in, and soon it will be an all grain set up, I'm sure. Been there, done that, though. I don't brew anymore because it has this mysterious affect on my pants and being in my late forties, it seems every ounce of beer makes them a half size smaller. It'd be all right if I were one of those guys who developed a beer gut and his jeans still fit, but no, I get the pear shape with the extra pounds, so that I'm out of pants to wear if I brew. Long story short, I'm trying to find a way to fend off his ever enthusiastic interest in brewing, without alienating him. My wife says I should just add another 500 yard of swimming a day. She wants my beer; it's actually better than my friend's.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 08-27-2014 at 10:27 AM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Likes:

westofyou (08-27-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Yay!

You've got to try the Warlock stout by Southern Tier. It's like a Pumpking stout. Crazy good. Maybe a tad too "boozy" tasting but a nice, dark, pumpkin beer.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Good start on the beer of the city

http://www.wweek.com/portland/beerguide

Downtown you have Deschutes, Bridgeport, Rogue for big places with food. New Old Lompac has a Dark strong draft.

Elliptical is good, East side you have Laurelwood, Hopwerks, Gigantic, Hair of the Dog and The Lucky Lab.

All have regulars and lots of seasonals, for a deeper look check their web sites they will let you know what seasonal offerings they are touting.
    I did the bicycle deal where you have 15 folks on one bike and the host takes you to two brewpubs. In our case it was Lucky Labrador and Bridgeport. I was much more impressed with the latter. I did a flight of beers at Lucky Labrador and their beer either tasted bad or it lacked taste at all. Bridgeport had several that were pretty good; one of the only beers with cherry in it that I ever liked. The hard part was peddling that bike up hill. Lots of work!

I had Founder's Porter Saturday. Really liked it
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Drinking Carton's Boat session ale and 077XX, a double IPA, alternately. Good beers. I don't know if their distribution is outside of NJ yet, but I highly recommend it if you see it.

They come in 16oz cans which I always feel is a plus.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

After going to Brew Ha Ha and Cincy Beerfest (yesterday) I've come to one conclusion:

The winner for the best Pumpkin beer this year goes to Southern Tier Pumking. It won my taste test at both events as well as the folks I was with. As for Oktoberfest beers, I haven't had a "10" yet this year but the best I've had so far is the Oktoberfest made by Rhinegeist. Of course the Oktoberfest is coming up this weekend so we'll see. Spaten Oktoberfest is generally the gold standard for Oktoberfest beers. Christian Moerlein's 5th & Vine is usually right up there too. I'll try both of those this weekend and see if that holds true again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Drinking Carton's Boat session ale and 077XX, a double IPA, alternately. Good beers. I don't know if their distribution is outside of NJ yet, but I highly recommend it if you see it.

They come in 16oz cans which I always feel is a plus.
    I've wanted to try 077XX! Carton doesn't distribute to NYC but some bars here will get kegs from time to time of things. I have had the Boat Beer and while I'm not a huge session IPA guy, I thought it was very good for what it was. Very drinkable. My favorite though was Carton's Regular Coffee. That stuff blew my mind.

EVERY STATE IN THE USA, RANKED BY ITS BEER

Much ballyhoo has been made of the sheer number of breweries in the Portland metro area, which tops out at more than 70 and counting... but this isn’t a case of quantity over quality. It’s a case of quantity meeting quality head on. Portland houses an insurmountable number of great breweries -- not good, pretty good, or wonderful, but effin’ great breweries -- that are changing the landscape of modern brewing. Hair of the Dog, Breakside, Cascade, Upright, Ecliptic, the Commons, Burnside, Lompoc... it just keeps going. Even the “crappy” breweries by Portland standards would bury most of their peers based on pure deliciousness.
    Interesting list. I would still rate California as the top beer state but I guess quibbling over 1 spot isn't a big deal. I personally would put Michigan ahead of Oregon too, but Oregon is still top 3. I also would put Vermont ahead of Washington but that is a minor qualm too. I also think they sold Florida, Indiana and maybe Texas a little short too. There are some outstanding breweries in those states. It's otherwise a pretty good list.

Returning to Ohio this weekend, hoping to snag a 12-pack of:

Name:  Hudy14k.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  8.5 KB

Full flavored!

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Returning to Ohio this weekend, hoping to snag a 12-pack of:

Full flavored!
    Yeah, you should be able to find it without too much trouble. Not a bad beer for the money. If you're in southern Ohio, try out Oktoberfest in Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yeah, you should be able to find it without too much trouble. Not a bad beer for the money. If you're in southern Ohio, try out Oktoberfest in Cincinnati
    Wish I could make it to Oktoberfest. Unfortunately, not in the cards.

Has anyone here had a chance to try Rhinegeist's Oktoberfest style Franz? Thoughts?

Much ballyhoo has been made of the sheer number of breweries in the Portland metro area, which tops out at more than 70 and counting... but this isn’t a case of quantity over quality. It’s a case of quantity meeting quality head on. Portland houses an insurmountable number of great breweries -- not good, pretty good, or wonderful, but effin’ great breweries -- that are changing the landscape of modern brewing. Hair of the Dog, Breakside, Cascade, Upright, Ecliptic, the Commons, Burnside, Lompoc... it just keeps going. Even the “crappy” breweries by Portland standards would bury most of their peers based on pure deliciousness.
    Asheville, NC has more breweries per capita than any other U.S. city. Not coincidentally, guess where I live now?

Some of my favorite local breweries are Burial, Catawba, Hi-Wire, and Wicked Weed. In addition, larger names such as Sierra Nevada, Oskar Blues, and New Belgium have either added, or are about to add, breweries in the region. This is a great place to be for a beer lover right now (or a beard/tattoo/pickup truck lover, but that's a different thread).
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

This is an interesting list, but I feel like it doesn't delve very deeply. Just several very recognizable names for the most part. To put Massachusetts in the top 10 based on, as far as I can tell, lip service almost exclusively to Sam Adams is iffy at best.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?