Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread :Spinoff

Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Glen Creek Brewery. They're not actually doing anything of their own. I've heard the beer list is pretty good, but that it's pricey. That building is cursed anyway, so I wouldn't expect to have them around long.
    I heard that about the building. The beer list was decent, the food wasn't bad either. I won't be making the trip down 64 again solely for that spot. There are better places in Lexington I think. Country Boy Brewing, like you said, is another story altogether. Definitely my kind of place and worth the trip. I've never made to W.6th but obviously need to. I'm an IPA guy so...
    Last edited by TSJ55; 05-11-2013 at 09:15 AM.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

2. Turn Off Ads?

I frequent Country Boy, and it's even better than advertised. Those guys really know their stuff. If you like stouts and porters, I highly recommend the Amos Moses and Black Gold Porter. But Papaw's Red, which is aged in a Pappy Van Winkle barrel, is probably the best of the bunch. I'm also partial to the Nacho Bait, which has jalapeņo in it.

West Sixth is particularly good if you like IPAs--their regular IPA is available around this area in cans, but the Double IPA is worth visiting the brewery itself for. I also like the Transylvania Tripel.
    Totally agree about Country Boy. A true diamond in the rough. Great spectrum of quality beer. I like the Amos Moses as well. My faves are the Stampin' Ground stout, Jalapeno Porter, and Shotgun Wedding Stout. Despite my screen name, I'm actually not a big bourbon guy but I've heard only good things about the Pappy Van Winkle beer.

West 6th, IMO, has one of the best IPA in the business hands down. I'd put it right up there near Bell's Hopslam and that is considered one of the all time greats.

BTW, this is craft beer week in Lexington. (May 13-18.) There is a lot going on at the local brew pubs. If any of you guys and gals were ever pondering coming to Lexington to try out these places, this is the week to do it!

www.lexbeerscene.com is a good place to get an overview and links to the local spots.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

4. Likes:

WildcatFan (05-12-2013)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Craft Beer Week is gonna be incredible. Pretty much every bar worth a damn in the city has special events going on. Beer trappe is featuring some rare Founders one night, which I couldn't be more excited about. Breakfast Day Friday at Country Boy should be great too. Featuring coffee stouts all day, serving breakfast food outside in a food truck, and Nate's Coffee will have a station. I tell you, Kentucky is really starting to throw its weight around in the beer culture. Louisville is also doing well with microbrews.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Craft Beer Week is gonna be incredible. Pretty much every bar worth a damn in the city has special events going on. Beer trappe is featuring some rare Founders one night, which I couldn't be more excited about. Breakfast Day Friday at Country Boy should be great too. Featuring coffee stouts all day, serving breakfast food outside in a food truck, and Nate's Coffee will have a station. I tell you, Kentucky is really starting to throw its weight around in the beer culture. Louisville is also doing well with microbrews.
    No doubt, I love it here. The cool thing about microbreweries is they seem to work together so often. It's not a cut-throat kind of thing. Collaborations are constantly in the making and they aren't afraid to help out the homebrewer either.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

Hey Wildcat, (or any one obviously) what do you know about this? I know this is just a blog site but it had a baseball reference at the end so I felt it was the better one to post.

http://consumerist.com/2013/05/22/ma...over-its-logo/

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Hey Wildcat, (or any one obviously) what do you know about this? I know this is just a blog site but it had a baseball reference at the end so I felt it was the better one to post.

I don't see any problem. They're clearly different logos.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post

That's been the talk of the town for the last few days. I'm not sure where I fall on the issue, although the initial lawsuit seemed silly. I don't see nearly enough similarities between the logos (interestingly, it's the color of the amber cans, not the actual green West Sixth logo that seems to cause issues).

Magic Hat is now alleging a smear campaign by West Sixth, and I've heard that the Facebook campaign has actually resulted in at least two restaurants in town removing Magic Hat from their taps. Some people think West Sixth has gone too far in the "big business vs. small business" angle, and they might be right, but I honestly don't know why Magic Hat just hasn't dropped it. It's not like they're direct competitors.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Hey has anyone tried the Bud Black Crown beer yet? Know of any bars that have it on tap or in bottles? I'd like to try it there rather than commit to a 12 pack at the store.

I go through waves with beer. Sometimes I get on a big scotch/bourbon/whiskey kick and don't touch beer and then sometimes I go back to beer and don't touch the others. Right now I'm on a huge beer kick.

I recently tried Keegan Ales' Mother's Milk, which is an incredible Stout beer made in the Hudson Valley in Kingston, NY.

I also had Samichlaus Bier and it was ridiculously awesome. 14% by volume. It really tastes like a scotch, except it's a beer. It's only brewed once a year on December 6th and is aged 10 months. It's not easy to find and it's not cheap, but well worth it if you can find it.

Lastly, I agree with a prior poster who said Belgium does beer best. I tend to agree. There's a lot of quality and consistency there.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 06-03-2013 at 02:02 PM.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I recently tried Keegan Ales' Mother's Milk, which is an incredible Stout beer made in the Hudson Valley in Kingston, NY.
    I was thisclose to getting that today at lunch. Kinda bummed I didn't now. Ended up with an IPA from Kane, which was okay.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I also had Samichlaus Bier and it was ridiculously awesome. 14% by volume. It really tastes like a scotch, except it's a beer. It's only brewed once a year on December 6th and is aged 10 months. It's not easy to find and it's not cheap, but well worth it if you can find it.

Lastly, I agree with a prior poster who said Belgium does beer best. I tend to agree. There's a lot of quality and consistency there.
    Samichlaus is so solid. I haven't had one in a few years but the picture you posted brought back good memories. They really straddle the sweet/strong line perfectly.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Hey has anyone tried the Bud Black Crown beer yet? Know of any bars that have it on tap or in bottles? I'd like to try it there rather than commit to a 12 pack at the store.
    I've tried it. It's clearly not my favorite, but once I have 2 or 3 "good" beers I switch back to it. I have two of my 12-pack left, once it's gone I won't be buying more.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

My new favorite beer is the Ayinger Dunkel. I tried it at Moerlein when visiting Memorial Day weekend. I had one Friday night and again Saturday. Now I have to find it in a local store.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    My new favorite beer is the Ayinger Dunkel. I tried it at Moerlein when visiting Memorial Day weekend. I had one Friday night and again Saturday. Now I have to find it in a local store.
    Dark Munich style lagers are right up my alley. I know they're not as adventuresome as many ales but it's what I crave. I appreciate the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I was thisclose to getting that today at lunch. Kinda bummed I didn't now. Ended up with an IPA from Kane, which was okay.
    It's a must try! It has a slight chocolate/malt/caramel tinge to it, but it's not overpowering at all (and I say that as someone who doesn't like chocolate beer). I also find that this beer is not as heavy as say a Guiness, but it doesn't compromise the taste either. It's still very much a stout.

Samichlaus is so solid. I haven't had one in a few years but the picture you posted brought back good memories. They really straddle the sweet/strong line perfectly.
    Agreed! You hit the nail on the head because it does nail the sweet/strong line perfectly. And just 1 of those will give you 1 helluva kick. Apparently there is a place in Brooklyn where you can buy a 4 pack for a fair price. Have yet to make it there though to check it out.

What does a standard pint of beercost at a Bar/Pub in Cincinatti?

Turn Off Ads?