Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread :Spinoff

Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

Have tried a lot of new beers over the last few months. I've been eyeing this thread, but I think taking the time to grab pictures of everything may not be as productive this time. I'm going to try to come back and post more when I have a bit more time of the stuff I've tried.

A week ago, I was in Vermont and bought a couple cases of this just a few days ahead of them closing the brewery from the Public.

Great stuff. I really enjoy it...but I will say this...for all of the accolades it's been receiving from enthusiasts and the media alike, I think the hype is a bit too much. For instance, I think the Burton Baton Imperial IPA that Dogfish Head makes is every bit as good as Heady Topper is. There were people next to me who had driven from Connecticut, New Hampshire, and New York (and told me they had done this multiple times!) just to pick up a single case. And that was on top of having to wait 2 hours to get the case in line! I thought that was crazy, but the next time I'm back in Indianapolis, I'm thinking about making the trek to Munster to go the Three Floyds brewery, so maybe it's not that crazy (although the difference is I would just make the trek once). I happened to be enjoying a trip to Vermont so it wasn't out of the way for me at all.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 11-20-2013 at 02:30 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here's a story fresh off the Presses that I am very excited about. The former Listermann brewer is starting his own brewpub restaurant in an old church on Race St in Over the Rhine. It'll be a great concept in that it'll combine beer with reasonably priced steaks. I've found these sorts of places to be quite appealing being both a carnivore and a craft beer lover. One such place is called Redwood Lodge in Flint, MI. It's really a very good concept.

Here's the full story:

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...ll-become.html

I've been enjoying this one as of late...

As well as Samuel Adam's Winter lager.

I didn't care as much for Yuengling's Oktoberfest in comparison to Samuel Adams.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I've been enjoying this one as of late...

I love Goose Island. I bought the 12-pack sampler today at Kroger's. Harvest Ale is my favorite followed by Honker's and then their IPA. All very good though.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Here's a story fresh off the Presses that I am very excited about. The former Listermann brewer is starting his own brewpub restaurant in an old church on Race St in Over the Rhine. It'll be a great concept in that it'll combine beer with reasonably priced steaks. I've found these sorts of places to be quite appealing being both a carnivore and a craft beer lover. One such place is called Redwood Lodge in Flint, MI. It's really a very good concept.

Here's the full story:

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...ll-become.html
    If you're ever in Pittsburgh, check out the Church Brew Works. Got the chance to go over the summer while in the area visiting a friend of mine. I didn't get to try the food, but the beer was excellent and the place was really unique. We had a hard time leaving because we wanted to try every beer, so it's fair to say that when we did leave, we were feeling pretty good.

http://www.churchbrew.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    If you're ever in Pittsburgh
    You lost me here.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    If you're ever in Pittsburgh, check out the Church Brew Works. Got the chance to go over the summer while in the area visiting a friend of mine. I didn't get to try the food, but the beer was excellent and the place was really unique. We had a hard time leaving because we wanted to try every beer, so it's fair to say that when we did leave, we were feeling pretty good.

http://www.churchbrew.com/
    Thanks for the tip. For whatever reason, I've never made it up to Pittsburgh. But I will sometime and when I do I'll need to know where to visit.

Anyone have any craft brews or brewpubs to recommend in the Cleveland area? I'll be spending some time up there in January/February and I'll have some time to kill. I'm familiar with Great Lakes but not much else

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I love Goose Island. I bought the 12-pack sampler today at Kroger's. Harvest Ale is my favorite followed by Honker's and then their IPA. All very good though.
    Goose Island makes a good product. However, they've sold out to A-B and are no longer truly "craft beer."

If you're looking for the finest in winter beers, track down some Highland Cold Mountain. Good luck with your search and if you find any in SWO, let me know.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

This beer that I discovered on tap at the Moerlein Lager House is the best Christmas beer I've had this yr, edging out Great Lakes X-mas Ale:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1471/14440

11. Likes:

WildcatFan (12-04-2013)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

It's Christmas ale season, and I couldn't be more excited.

So far, Three Floyds Alpha Klaus and Schlafly's Christmas have been my favorites.

If you're in Lexington, definitely check out West Sixth's new Christmas Ale. It's pretty stout at 9%, but nice and spicy and will make you feel all warm inside. Compares favorably to Great Lakes.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Had a Racer 15 over Thanksgiving. Usually when a brewer tries to double an already very good IPA they end up taking it too far, imo. Having said that if you like Racer 5 you will probably love the 15. The one thing I think the 15 has over the 5 is it has way more nose, which in my book scores major points. I love an IPA you can taste before you drink it.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bear-re...cer-15/139020/

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This beer that I discovered on tap at the Moerlein Lager House is the best Christmas beer I've had this yr, edging out Great Lakes X-mas Ale:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1471/14440
    They were out when I asked. Grr!

I had one of these the other night and it was quite good.

I may be one of the few, but I am not a huge fan of XMas Ales. I will drink one from time to time, but any more than two and they play havoc with my stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I may be one of the few, but I am not a huge fan of XMas Ales. I will drink one from time to time, but any more than two and they play havoc with my stomach.
    Thing is, they vary so much. Some have that cinnamon-apple cider kind of vibe to them, some don't.

That Delirium Noel is not overpowering and doesn't have too strong of a taste, although some would consider the Belgian yeast to be a strong characteristic while I don't. The Sam Adams winter lager is actually not too heavy either if you haven't had that one.

Turn Off Ads?