Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread :Spinoff

Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Indeed I did score a sixer of Rhinegeist's blond ale and IPA. Both are good, clear beers, the IPA is especially tasty, with a balanced hoppy flavor and of course, hints of citrus. One thing that bugged me was their graphics. I suppose this is made to resemble a ghost- the company name refers to a ghost of OTR. But they seem to be using imagery from 16th century headstones, which I have never seen on any german headstones in Cincinnati. To me, it doesn't capture the German Americana nature of OTR.

Attachment 7016

Attachment 7017
    I just checked out their website. I have to say, with a name like Rhinegeist, one would expect them to brew a number of German styles. However, it seems they prefer to stick to the Pale Ales, IPAs, and Belgian styles that are all the rage these days. I like a hoppy beer as much as the next person, but I think it's getting ridiculous with all the breweries hanging their hats on IPAs these days. I get the feeling we're going to have another bursting of the microbrew bubble if some of these breweries don't start differentiating themselves.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I just checked out their website. I have to say, with a name like Rhinegeist, one would expect them to brew a number of German styles. However, it seems they prefer to stick to the Pale Ales, IPAs, and Belgian styles that are all the rage these days.
    My guess is that they prefer to make money. If the consumer winds shift smart brewers will shift with them. There is also a glut of locally made German style beers already. So they are filling their own niche and doing it brilliantly. Truth is an excellent IPA that has been an absolute blockbuster for the brewery.

Ales are easier and faster than lagers.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Ales are easier and faster than lagers.
    Lagers are better. There I said it.

I am not a big IPA fan but I do enjoy Rhinegeist's Truth.

Their Cougar is quite tastey, especially on the lighter more refreshing side.

6. Likes:

SunDeck (05-01-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Lagers are better. There I said it.

I am not a big IPA fan but I do enjoy Rhinegeist's Truth.

Their Cougar is quite tastey, especially on the lighter more refreshing side.
    I agree with you and disagree with the earlier poster who said that there's a glut of German beers here locally. Only Moerlein emphasizes lagers from what I can tell. So far as I know all the other brewers have more (many more) ales than lagers. Madtree and Rhinegeist are pretty much exclusively ales. We do get a fun influx of German beers around Bockfest time but those are seasonal and very short lived. If I'm wrong and anyone knows of another brewery around here that has a nice selection of lagers please show me the way. I'd love to try them out

Yay!

Rivertown's helles and dunkel and both pretty good and 50 West has a decent pilsner.

But overall, I'd agree that given the German background of the area that there aren't more German style beers on the market locally. As someone said, ales are easier and quicker and it seems that they're also easier to "fancy"-up as so many craft beer manufacturers are wont to do (All the IPAs, Chickow, wheat, fruit, etc). Although I do loves me some Chickow.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with you and disagree with the earlier poster who said that there's a glut of German beers here locally. Only Moerlein emphasizes lagers from what I can tell. So far as I know all the other brewers have more (many more) ales than lagers. Madtree and Rhinegeist are pretty much exclusively ales. We do get a fun influx of German beers around Bockfest time but those are seasonal and very short lived. If I'm wrong and anyone knows of another brewery around here that has a nice selection of lagers please show me the way. I'd love to try them out
    Sam Adams?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Rivertown's helles and dunkel and both pretty good and 50 West has a decent pilsner.

But overall, I'd agree that given the German background of the area that there aren't more German style beers on the market locally. As someone said, ales are easier and quicker and it seems that they're also easier to "fancy"-up as so many craft beer manufacturers are wont to do (All the IPAs, Chickow, wheat, fruit, etc). Although I do loves me some Chickow.
    Lagers are really about subtlety. You put a beer up for six weeks its going to mellow out some, which is really the opposite of what a lot of craft brewers seem to be going for.

11. Likes:

dabvu2498 (05-01-2014)

Sam Adams?
    Do you know which ones they brew here? I'm pretty sure their Boston Lager is not brewed in Cincinnati

Madtree has a pretty good Kolsch. I haven't had 50 West's pilsner, is that in stores now?

I am not a huge fan of Bock beers, some I like, others I don't. I really enjoy Helles, Lagers, Pilsners, I do like lighter ales. Rivertown Helles is one of the better light beers in this area. Its ironic that Moerline emphasizes lagers because I really don't care for their beer.

I enjoy the seasonal summer beers that come out. I dislike wheat beer but can stand an "American Wheat" beer. More along the lines of Anchor Steam Summer Beer and Bells Oberon.

Name:  beer.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  344.4 KB

15. Likes:

jimbo (05-02-2014)

Do you know which ones they brew here? I'm pretty sure their Boston Lager is not brewed in Cincinnati
    Could be wrong about the brewery now, but that is why they purchased it in the first place. Did they move Sam Adams back to PA?

You are correct that Boston Lager is brewed in Cincinnati. They also make all of their cider here.

Admittedly my perspective is slanted by living within walking distance of Moerlein and Hofbrauhaus. But I was taking national and imported brews into account when saying the market was flooded with lagers. Yuengling alone is a crushing prescensce, at least downtown and in OTR. Craft brewers don't do much with lagers but they never have. For the record I love good lagers.

From a recent trip to Boston and a stop by their brewery, they come up with new varieties and brew the limited stuff in Boston. All of the year-round and seasonal brews come from either Cincy or Breinigsville, PA.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?