Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread :Spinoff

Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Have you had Cold Mountain?
    Haven't had the pleasure.

I'm usually hard-pressed to answer the question "What's your favorite beer?" because it changes so frequently, but Hi-Wire's Bed of Nails Brown Ale is so glorious, that it's easily my favorite right now.

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Likes:

dabvu2498 (10-20-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Haven't had the pleasure.

I'm usually hard-pressed to answer the question "What's your favorite beer?" because it changes so frequently, but Hi-Wire's Bed of Nails Brown Ale is so glorious, that it's easily my favorite right now.
    I'll have to remember that one. If you're into browns, I'd recommend the Dogfish Head Indian Brown. It's wonderful. And good year round.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I'm taking a tour of the new Sierra Nevada brewery here in Mills River, NC tomorrow. Mmmm, fresh beer sampled straight from the barrel.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

6. Likes:

BillDoran (10-20-2014)

I just had a Boulevard Wheat Amber Ale and a I.P.A Single-wide. Excellent.

Picked up a four-pack of Great Lakes Nosferatu. Really coming around on Great Lakes as a brewery. Was never particularly excited about their beers in the past, but between this one, their Oktoberfest and Elliot Ness (Vienna lager), I'm becoming a big fan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nosferatu_BottleGlass.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	8048

9. Likes:

RedEye (11-01-2014)

Tried a 90 minute IPA today from Dogfish Head. I don't see how it's worth $10 for a four pack.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

11. Likes:

RedEye (11-01-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Picked up a four-pack of Great Lakes Nosferatu. Really coming around on Great Lakes as a brewery. Was never particularly excited about their beers in the past, but between this one, their Oktoberfest and Elliot Ness (Vienna lager), I'm becoming a big fan.

Name:	Nosferatu_BottleGlass.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	8048
    Love this beer. Glad you are coming around. Have you tried the Burning River?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Tried a 90 minute IPA today from Dogfish Head. I don't see how it's worth $10 for a four pack.
    Yeah, I thought it was good... but not that much better than stuff I can get for cheaper.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I am trying to acquire a taste for Chimay's stuff. Had a bottle of the Cinq Cents last night. Have to say the carbonated thing threw me off a bit. Liked it, but I don't think it did enough to pull me away from my three current infatuations and go-to brews:

Victory Prima
    Sierra Nevada Torpedo
    Anchor Steam Porter

Had a couple of these last night picked it up sort of out of curiosity more than anythingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	download (1).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	8681 I prefer lagers to I.P.A.'s or Ale's. Was pleasantly surprised i was half expecting watery sort of guinness'y flavored beer. Now this isnt the best lager ive ever had but i really liked it went well with my Chinese i had for dinner It's to bad the big boys cant /wont make there main products this good .

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I am trying to acquire a taste for Chimay's stuff. Had a bottle of the Cinq Cents last night. Have to say the carbonated thing threw me off a bit. Liked it, but I don't think it did enough to pull me away from my three current infatuations and go-to brews:

Victory Prima
    Sierra Nevada Torpedo
    Anchor Steam Porter
    I've given up on acquiring a taste for Chimay's. It doesn't even taste like beer. I can drink almost any kind of beer but this is why I say "almost"

I was at Deweys in Oakley a couple weeks ago and noticed Upland's Bad Elmer's Porter there. It's probably the beer they distribute most widely from their Bloomington brewery. Upland's got some nice ales and they bought the recipe for Champagne Velvet (once brewed in Terre Haute), which they brew regularly now. Had a glass of it last night, a nice, light pils.

Recently exchanged some local micro brew from my area with a friend in the Cincy area. For a pliny, racer 5 and a couple others I received several Cincy brews. Being a IPA fan I asked for hop heavy assortment. The two I've tried already are Mystic Mama from Jackie O's and a PsycHOPathy from MadTree. The Mystic mama had a fantastic aroma while the bitter taste with a citrus finish of PsycHOPathy was very pleasing. Well done.

I totally forgot to mention that my wife and I went to the Beefsteak Club dinner at the old Hudepohl Bottling Building on E. McMicken in OTR. That building was where the original brewery was, and then of course the facility moved to Queensgate sometime in the mid twentieth century. But the bottling building was used for administrative offices up through the sixties. For those who know the area, it's the former free store food bank building, a block from McMicken and Vine.

It was a great dinner, a fundraiser for the Brewery District. And we got to take a tour of the old tunnels that still exist under the parking lot behind the building. They were originally the tunnels of the Buckeye Brewing Co., which I think was one that may have merged with another to become Hudepohl. Anyway, the guys giving us the tour said there are dozens of these tunnel networks under the OTR and downtown area, dating from the early lagering days prior to refrigeration. They said breweries would buy adjacent buildings and lots, filling an entire block with subterranean lagering tunnels.

http://www.bockfest.com/bockfest-beefsteak-club-dinner/

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I totally forgot to mention that my wife and I went to the Beefsteak Club dinner at the old Hudepohl Bottling Building on E. McMicken in OTR. That building was where the original brewery was, and then of course the facility moved to Queensgate sometime in the mid twentieth century. But the bottling building was used for administrative offices up through the sixties. For those who know the area, it's the former free store food bank building, a block from McMicken and Vine.

It was a great dinner, a fundraiser for the Brewery District. And we got to take a tour of the old tunnels that still exist under the parking lot behind the building. They were originally the tunnels of the Buckeye Brewing Co., which I think was one that may have merged with another to become Hudepohl. Anyway, the guys giving us the tour said there are dozens of these tunnel networks under the OTR and downtown area, dating from the early lagering days prior to refrigeration. They said breweries would buy adjacent buildings and lots, filling an entire block with subterranean lagering tunnels.

http://www.bockfest.com/bockfest-beefsteak-club-dinner/
    A little off-topic (but germane to SunDeck's avatar), Bockfest is just around the corner.

Two weekends I'm sure to make it to Cincinnati each year: Opening Day and Bockfest. Strong beer and goats!

Name:	2013-Bockfest-Parade-photos-by-Sarah-Laubacher-8-640x426.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	8684

21. Likes:

SunDeck (02-24-2015)

Turn Off Ads?