Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #13 prospect?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • C Tucker Barnhart

1 1.64%
  • LHP Tony Cingrani

10 16.39%
  • RHP Drew Cisco

0 0%
  • OF Juan Duran

0 0%
  • UT Todd Frazier

28 45.90%
  • UT Brodie Greene

0 0%
  • SS Didi Gregorius

17 27.87%
  • LHP Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • OF Ryan LaMarre

1 1.64%
  • RHP Kyle Lotzkar

1 1.64%
  • 1B Donald Lutz

0 0%
  • OF Denis Phipps

2 3.28%
  • 2B Henry Rodriguez

1 1.64%
  • 3B Gabriel Rosa

0 0%
  • RHP Pedro Villarreal

0 0%
  • other (please list below)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #13 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #13 prospect?

#1 C Devin Mesoraco
    #2 1B/OF Yonder Alonso
    #3 C Yasmani Grandal
    #4 SS Billy Hamilton
    #5 SS Zack Cozart
    #6 RHP Dan Corcino
    #7 RHP Robert Stephenson
    #8 RHP Brad Boxberger
    #9 1B Neftali Soto
    #10 OF Yorman Rodriguez
    #11 2B Ron Torreyes
    #12 OF Dave Sappelt

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Re: Who is Redszone's #13 prospect?

Frazier is probably going to win this one, but I'm going with Gregorius.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Didi Gregorius. He is the most athletic player on the board, by far. He has good tools. He has plus speed. He has above average defensive capabilities. He hardly strikes out. Just a lot to like out of a shortstop.

I've got Frazier here. At 14 and 15, I'll decide between Gregorius and Henry Rodriguez.

Based on his minor league numbers, I'm just not sure Didi will hit in the major leagues. Lifetime OPS below .700. So I have him slightly lower than this.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-21-2011 at 06:22 PM.

I went with Gregorius, though it's hard to pick against Frazier since the latter is clearly going to have a major league career of some kind. I'm wondering if anybody besides me would like to see J.C. Sulbaran added to the list. I don't have him next on my own list, but I do have him ahead of a half dozen of the guys on the board. Last year's ERA was not impressive--4.60--but the peripherals are very interesting 150 K in 137 innings, only 50 W's, and only 10HR's, in Bakersfield. Not bad for a 21 year old in High A ball.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I went with Gregorius, though it's hard to pick against Frazier since the latter is clearly going to have a major league career of some kind. I'm wondering if anybody besides me would like to see J.C. Sulbaran added to the list. I don't have him next on my own list, but I do have him ahead of a half dozen of the guys on the board. Last year's ERA was not impressive--4.60--but the peripherals are very interesting 150 K in 137 innings, only 50 W's, and only 10HR's, in Bakersfield. Not bad for a 21 year old in High A ball.
    Sulbaran is in my Top 20 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Based on his minor league numbers, I'm just not sure Didi will hit in the major leagues. Lifetime OPS below .700. So I have him slightly lower than this.
    His lifetime OPS means nothing. For starters, its buried by a sub .400 OPS at age 18 in the GCL. Everywhere he has played half of a season or more, its been over .700. Now, it hasn't been all that higher than .700 either, but he has always been young for the league he has been in and he has tools. He hit .303/.333/.457 in Bakersfield this year as a 21 year old toolsy shortstop with 10 walks and 25 strikeouts. He then went to AA and his power dropped off some (expected, since the Cal League is very hitter friendly), but he walked more often and struck out a little more (though still only 15% of the time).

Offensively, he is essentially what I think that people hope Billy Hamilton can become, except Gregorius has a lot more power potential in his bat than Hamilton does. And he won't have 100 steals. Hamilton was the systems #4 prospect here and the difference between the two isn't all that much IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    His lifetime OPS means nothing. For starters, its buried by a sub .400 OPS at age 18 in the GCL. Everywhere he has played half of a season or more, its been over .700. Now, it hasn't been all that higher than .700 either, but he has always been young for the league he has been in and he has tools. He hit .303/.333/.457 in Bakersfield this year as a 21 year old toolsy shortstop with 10 walks and 25 strikeouts. He then went to AA and his power dropped off some (expected, since the Cal League is very hitter friendly), but he walked more often and struck out a little more (though still only 15% of the time).

Offensively, he is essentially what I think that people hope Billy Hamilton can become, except Gregorius has a lot more power potential in his bat than Hamilton does. And he won't have 100 steals. Hamilton was the systems #4 prospect here and the difference between the two isn't all that much IMO.
    Thanks for the analysis. I really like him, and I'm glad that he's getting attention, but for someone as toolsy as he is, his upside seems a bit limited. .790 OPS as a shortstop in the Cal League isn't bad by any means, but it's not particularly impressive. Given his speed, he's not a particularly good stealer either (11 out of 21 on the year). I like his game, and he'll be next on the list for me, but I've got Cingrani ahead of him for now.

Previously you mentioned that you had Rosa pretty high. Did the BA rankings sway you a bit towards Didi?

Just curious. I'm torn between the two here (with HRod and Frazier right in the picture)
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Thanks for the analysis. I really like him, and I'm glad that he's getting attention, but for someone as toolsy as he is, his upside seems a bit limited. .790 OPS as a shortstop in the Cal League isn't bad by any means, but it's not particularly impressive. Given his speed, he's not a particularly good stealer either (11 out of 21 on the year). I like his game, and he'll be next on the list for me, but I've got Cingrani ahead of him for now.
    His upside is probably that of a close to gold glove type defender who can hit you .280 with 10-15 HRs at the shortstop position.

I have Cingrani at 19. I just want to see another pitch from him before I go all in on his bandwagon. If he can't find that third pitch, he is a reliever, and while a good one, isn't going to crack the Top 10-15 for me because of it (I had Boxberger at #15 this year).

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Previously you mentioned that you had Rosa pretty high. Did the BA rankings sway you a bit towards Didi?

Just curious. I'm torn between the two here (with HRod and Frazier right in the picture)
    No. My rankings were out well before BA's were. I had Didi at #12.

I don't let someone's rankings reflect my rankings.

Ahhhh.. I misunderstood your post from Vote 8 which I just bumped (yours is the 2nd to last post) on where you had Rosa in comparison to the guys I'd mentioned... Didn't realize that you said you had him just before Boxberger...

Definitely wasn't calling you out, so don't take it that way...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

This is tough for me. At one point I had Frazier here (actually at 12 with Y-Rod at 14), but guys who can stick at SS at the major league level get a lot of respect on my list as well. When I see what some of these marginal middle IF types are going for this year it has me wondering. I also like H-Rod and a few others, but I'm sticking with Frazier based on the fact I think he can be a good role player on a good team right now and I'm not sure I can say that about anyone left on the board.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I know this list is getting crowded, but Daniel Renken and David Vidal are both in my top 20. I'd appreciate it if you can add them if not next round, the round after.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

His upside is probably that of a close to gold glove type defender who can hit you .280 with 10-15 HRs at the shortstop position.
    Gold glove-type? Hmm, that's mighty high praise at one of the most important defensive positions around. Didn't know he had that kind of potential, but maybe I'm just underestimating his tools, since his production's been fairly consistent.

Out of curiosity, where do you have Lotzkar? His arm of glass showing up again is gonna bring him down, but I liked the season he had towards the end.

Turn Off Ads?