Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Braun wins NL MVP Award

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ryan Braun wins NL MVP Award

I guess making the playoffs is a difference maker in MVP voting...

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I guess making the playoffs is a difference maker in MVP voting...
    Historically, more often than not, it has been.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I know that, but it's a strange way to vote for a player.

Kemp became the seventh player in Major League history to finish the season ranked in the top three in homers, batting average, RBIs and stolen bases in their respective league, joining Hall of Famers Ty Cobb (1907, 1909-11), Honus Wagner ('08), George Sisler ('20), Chuck Klein ('32), Willie Mays ('55) and Hank Aaron ('63).

Should have been Kemp.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

The NL Central owns this award.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    The NL Central owns this award.
    That's what I was thinking, too. Between Votto, Braun, and of course Albert, the NL Central has been stockpiling the MVP.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Anyone notice that Votto got 6th? Not too shabby as a follow up to 2010, eh?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Kemp became the seventh player in Major League history to finish the season ranked in the top three in homers, batting average, RBIs and stolen bases in their respective league, joining Hall of Famers Ty Cobb (1907, 1909-11), Honus Wagner ('08), George Sisler ('20), Chuck Klein ('32), Willie Mays ('55) and Hank Aaron ('63).
    Ironically, of the three other players you listed, whose seasons came after the present MVP award was established in 1931, only Chuck Klein won the MVP, and in 1932 Mel Ott arguably had the better season. In 1955 Roy Campanella ultimately was given the award in a confused vote where one writer named Campanella twice on his ballot; had the ballot been thrown out (as it should have been), then Duke Snider would have been the 1955 NL MVP. In 1963, Sandy Koufax was (properly in my view) named the NL MVP.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I completely agree. It's not Kemp's fault the Dodgers are a mess and can't build a better team around him and Kershaw.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I completely agree. It's not Kemp's fault the Dodgers are a mess and can't build a better team around him and Kershaw.
    Not to mention...Kemp plays a tougher defensive position than Braun does too.

Braun should have won. Good job. American League, not so much.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Kemp should have won.

Plaschke wrote a good article about that:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...ge=1&track=rss

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

This is kinda unrelated but according to baseball reference Braun had a .994 ops and a 166 ops+ while Kemp had a .986 ops and 171 ops+. I'm just wondering how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    This is kinda unrelated but according to baseball reference Braun had a .994 ops and a 166 ops+ while Kemp had a .986 ops and 171 ops+. I'm just wondering how that works.
    Ballparks they played in. A .986 OPS in LA and the NL West is a little more impressive than .994 in Milwaukee and the NL Central.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?