Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Angels targeting Ryan Hanigan

Angels targeting Ryan Hanigan

Angels Eyeing Hanigan In Search For Catcher
    By Mike Axisa [November 22 at 8:08pm CST]

The Angels have been interested in a number of free agent pitchers this offseason, both starters and relievers, and now they're looking for an entire new battery. ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Halos have intensified their search for a catcher, and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports says they have their eye on Ryan Hanigan of the Reds (Twitter links).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Angels targeting Ryan Hanigan

I don't see a match here. Their organization is a mix of untouchables (Santana, Weaver, Haren, Trout) and the unimpressive/overpriced, particularly in the outfield. Unless we can swing this into a deal for one of the big three pitchers, I'd have to see them massively overpay. Hanigan is the most consistently underrated catcher in the major leagues, and he would be an amazing mentor for Mesoraco.

I would do Mesoraco for Trout

Let the kids play!

Quote Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
    I would do Mesoraco for Trout
    But would the Angels? Trout is consistently ranked as the number 1 or 2 prospect in the game. Mesoraco is also highly ranked, but he's just not as well regarded as Trout. I suppose you could make the argument that Mesoraco plays a more important defensive position; a lot of teams, after all, might rather have a top-flight catcher than a top-flight outfielder. The Angels, though, are already relying on aging and/or ineffectual players like Torii Hunter and Vernon Wells to fill their OF, so I can't imagine them shipping Trout out and exacerbating the situation.

Just say no. (To trading Hanigan)

If the Reds are talking trade with the Angels, I want Jean Segura

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    If the Reds are talking trade with the Angels, I want Jean Segura
    That's a great name for a prospect. If there were ever a "sure" thing or a "safe" bet to pan out, he'd be the one.

What about adding someone to the Hanigan package and try and pry Aybar away? Solves leadoff and is a GG winner. According to Bleacherreport.com, the Halos are interested in Reyes but have Aybar occupying SS. You could use Cozart for as a back up to give him one more year of experience. You can sign Hernandez for one more year with a club option for 2013 and that gives Grandal and Mes one more year to gain experience. Probably not ideal but I think it will make us more effective up the middle. I know it still doesn't help us solve our SP problems.

If i were to trade with the angels here i would go for Kendrick, Eybar, or as much as i say the reds don't need an ace, ervin santana

of course the reds did not make the trade with angels, jocketty is far too busy to trade

Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    of course the reds did not make the trade with angels, jocketty is far too busy to trade
    Uh, Ramon is gone, this trade was never happening.

The Rockies got Tyler Chatwood for Chris Iannetta. I am glad Jocketty was "too busy" to make this trade!

i wouldn't be suprised if the angels or possibly the giants still go after hanagin he can hit and play defense.

Turn Off Ads?