Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 11/24

Birthdays: 11/24

Reds:

Rafael Santo Domingo (56) -Went 1 for 6 with the 1979 team.

George Burns -Long-time Giant who came to the reds in a trade for Heinie Groh. At one point held the NL record for career steals of home.

Others:

Steve Yeager (63) -First catcher to wear the hanging throat protector. A radar gun once cloked his throw to second base at 98 mph. from a crouch.

Jim Northrup -"The Silver Fox". Hit the game-winning triple off of Bob Gibson in Game 7 of the 1968 World Series.

Bob Friend (81) -Pirate ace who later served as Controller of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.

Joe Medwick -The last National Leaguer to win the Triple Crown. In 1944 he had an audience with the Pope, at which time he supposedly said, "Your Holiness, I'm Joe Medwick. I used to be a Cardinal too".

Billy Rogell -Tiger shortstop for their great teams of the 1930s. Later served in the Detroit city council for 36 years, and spent a lot of time helping old ballplayers who had fallen on hard times.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 11/24

And to point out a common website error, Steve Yeager was not born in Huntington, WV. He was delivered by the venerable Dr. McClellan in West Hamlin, WV, here in Lincoln County. He's also a fourth cousin (or something like that) of my stepsisters.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Re: Birthdays: 11/24

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Others:

Steve Yeager (63) -A radar gun once cloked his throw to second base at 98 mph. from a crouch.
    I know you are only reporting the facts as you find them, chico, but, man, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around this one. Hard to imagine.

Turn Off Ads?