Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Trade Target: Francisco Liriano

Trade Target: Francisco Liriano

Sure, it's a risk, but it could have high reward. Liriano, with health and the right coaching, could be that #1 ace in the Cincinnati rotation, and could come a lot cheaper this offseason than some of the other names being thrown around.

http://riveraveblues.com/2011/11/sco...liriano-58926/

After a disastrous 63-99 season, the Twins somewhat surprisingly fired GM Bill Smith earlier this week (surprising because it didn’t happen sooner), replacing him with long-time GM Terry Ryan. During his re-introductory press conference, Ryan said the team’s payroll will drop about $15M next season, which could mean that some of his players might be available in trades. One of the guys that could potentially be on the block is a name we’ve discussed quite a bit here in the past, left-hander Francisco Liriano. He’s always kinda been the black sheep in the Twins rotation, not conforming to their “let the hitter put the ball in play and get quick outs” pitching philosophy.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: Trade Target: Francisco Liriano

I would not want to give up any top prospects for him because he's too inconsistant. Yes, he could end up being that dominate force he was before Tommy John Surgery, but then again he could keep being this up-and-down pitcher and wasted a Yonder Alonso or someone on him.

I'm not sure it would take a top prospect like Alonso at this point.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'd do a B prospect or three for Liriano. (Perhaps Gregorius, Soto, and Sappelt?)

Or, if they wanted ready major leaguers, would a Wood and Francisco deal work for the Twinkies?

They need cheap production and both guys could help them.

The Reds have enough uncertainty with TOR stuff in the form of Bailey, Volquez and Chapman. I'd prefer they go the other way and deal one away with some one who is more of a reliable number 3 added from the outside.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Volquez for Liriano in a challenge trade.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I would not want to give up any top prospects for him because he's too inconsistant. Yes, he could end up being that dominate force he was before Tommy John Surgery, but then again he could keep being this up-and-down pitcher and wasted a Yonder Alonso or someone on him.
    Sounds a little bit like Volquez. Send'em Edinson straight up. The Twins do seem to like our castoff starters (Maloney, Thompson?) Krivsky?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'd do a B prospect or three for Liriano. (Perhaps Gregorius, Soto, and Sappelt?)

Or, if they wanted ready major leaguers, would a Wood and Francisco deal work for the Twinkies?

They need cheap production and both guys could help them.
    IMO that's overpaying for Liriano, who is very similar to a Volquez.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'd be interested if it's more of a salary purge than trying to fleece the trading partner type of deal.

Volquez for Liriano straight up, I'd do.

We don't have room in the rotation for yet another question-mark-with-upside type. Who are we kicking out of the rotation for the guy with 5+ BB/9 last year?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?