Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 11/28

Birthdays: 11/28

Reds:

Heinie Peitz -Catcher around the turn of the 20th century. He and pitcher Ted Breitenstein were known as the "Pretzel Battery". Caught the first no-hitter of the 20th century in July of 1900 (Noodles Hahn was the pitcher).

Others:

Robb Nen (42) -All-time Giants franchise leader in saves. Known for his unusual toe-tapping delivery and his filthy slider.

Matt Williams (46) -Only player to hit World Series homers with three different teams. Later caught up in the HGH scandal.

John Burkett (47) -Winning pitcher in the Rangers' first postseason win ever. Competed part-time as a professional bowler, and I think, still does.

Dave Righetti (53) -In 1983, pitched the first Yankee no-hitter since Don Larsen. Now a pitchiing coach, and would be a good one for GAB; his staffs traditionally yield very few homers. Father of triplets.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 11/28

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Reds:

Heinie Peitz -Catcher around the turn of the 20th century. He and pitcher Ted Breitenstein were known as the "Pretzel Battery". Caught the first no-hitter of the 20th century in July of 1900 (Noodles Hahn was the pitcher).

Others:

Robb Nen (42) -All-time Giants franchise leader in saves. Known for his unusual toe-tapping delivery and his filthy slider.

Matt Williams (46) -Only player to hit World Series homers with three different teams. Later caught up in the HGH scandal.

John Burkett (47) -Winning pitcher in the Rangers' first postseason win ever. Competed part-time as a professional bowler, and I think, still does.

Dave Righetti (53) -In 1983, pitched the first Yankee no-hitter since Don Larsen. Now a pitchiing coach, and would be a good one for GAB; his staffs traditionally yield very few homers. Father of triplets.
    Its a Giant day in Birthdays.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Adding Molly Craft. He was used sparingly by the Washington Senators from 1916 thru 1919...pitched in only 29 games total in those 4 seasons.

I memtion him because he reminds me of the other former MLB players who had first names (or nicknames) which are more commonly used by the ladies. The ones I think of quickly are Minnie Minoso, Nellie Fox and Granny Hamner and now Molly Craft, but I'm sure there must be many more.

Maybe this could be a thread idea for RedsZone: "Hey, I Need Help with My All-Ladies-Names Team".

"Hey, I Need Help with My All-Ladies-Names Team"
    There have been, I think, several players who went by "Dolly".

Kiki Cuyler was a HOFer, but his nickname was pronounced as rhyming with "hi-fi", so that takes the edge off a bit.

Neil Chrisley's real first name was "Barbara".

I'll have to think about it some more...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Maybe this could be a thread idea for RedsZone: "Hey, I Need Help with My All-Ladies-Names Team".
    Torii Hunter springs to mind immediately.

Good ones, you guys.

The name Wandy, as in Wandy Rodriguez, always sounds to me like one we can add to this list.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Good ones, you guys.

The name Wandy, as in Wandy Rodriguez, always sounds to me like one we can add to this list.
    Sandy Koufax would have to be the ace of the staff.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    There have been, I think, several players who went by "Dolly".
    Along those lines would be Baby Doll Jacobson. He had a pretty long career from 1915 thru 1927 in the AL as a centerfielder.

...and, of course, who could ever forget Candy Maldonado? I haven't.

Shelley Duncan, Judy Johnson (HOF), Kim Batiste, Dee Brown, and, of course, Chrissie Carpenter.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

How about Queenie O'Rourke? Played 34 games for the 1908 N.Y. Highlanders.

Man, some of the nicknames of the old-timers are beyond belief!

Shirley Povich could be the beat writer for the team.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    and, of course, Chrissie Carpenter.

You guys are doing a great job...a lot of these have made me smile. But the one above is the only one so far that has made me laugh out loud. I enjoyed that!

A couple of Reds from the '50s probably qualify for the team:

Connie Ryan
    Dee Fondy

Turn Off Ads?