Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milwaukee hires Johnny Narron to be their new hitting coach

Milwaukee hires Johnny Narron to be their new hitting coach

I wonder what this means for Josh Hamilton.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-for-brewers/1

Johnny Narron, who in the last five years has served as Josh Hamilton's mentor and last season was the Rangers' assistant hitting coach, has been named the Milwaukee Brewers' hitting coach.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Milwaukee hires Johnny Narron to be their new hitting coach

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/...ton-father-law

The Texas Rangers have hired Josh Hamilton's father-in-law, Michael Dean Chadwick, as the 2010 AL MVP's new accountability partner. Chadwick will handle part of the role that Johnny Narron vacated when he became hitting coach of the Milwaukee Brewers this offseason.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

So the role has a name now. "Accountability Partner."

Seems like it would be awkward to have a family member interceding on his behalf.

"No, Josh can't do that."

"Sorry, he won't be participating. There's too much temptation in those situations."

Can't imagine wanting to have one of my wife's parents speaking on my behalf, even though they are/were fine people.
    /r/reds

So. Because Hamilton is an uber talented crack addict, the Rangers are paying for him to have an entourage to keep him away from the vices of the world.

So, If I were as talented at my job as Hamilton is at his, If I were in a key position, responsible for millions of dollars of revenue, and I were a crack addict, I could expect my employer to do the same right?

probably not.

Hamilton is an addict. Period. He'll be one till they plant him. I guess the Rangers are protecting their investment, but we have seen pictures of Josh out on the town as a Ranger. I don't buy the pious act for one second. He's human, stinking rich and a drug addict. That's a bad combination.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

If I were the Rangers I would do exactly the same thing. I'd probably be disgusted by the amount they are paying the babysitter, but it is still chump change compared to Hamilton's worth to the team.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

With Narron on board, think Milwaukee makes a play for Hamilton if/when he becomes a free agent?

TRF, if you were uber-talented at your job and made the difference b/w being average and being on of the most successful organizations in your field, your company would absolutely do something similar. 99% of the world isn't as talented at their profession as Josh Hamilton is at his. I'm sure the ranges just chaulk up the cost of having a "babysitter" as part of Josh's overall compensation package. Something that not only helps protect their investment in Josh, but also helps Josh stay on the straight path.

I've seen the owner of my company not only pay to for rehab for a couple of our field guys, but keep them on payroll so that their families didn't suffer a financial set back. If its what Josh needs to keep playing, then its a small price for the Ranger's to pay.

Safe to say, the Ranger's hired themselves a baseball guy

I get it. I really do. bottom line he makes the Rangers money.

Doesn't mean i have to like the fact that a grown man can't be trusted with $20 in his pocket or be able to go to dinner on his own, while getting paid millions. Just irks the crap out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I get it. I really do. bottom line he makes the Rangers money.

Doesn't mean i have to like the fact that a grown man can't be trusted with $20 in his pocket or be able to go to dinner on his own, while getting paid millions. Just irks the crap out of me.
    I find your comments about addiction extremely bigoted.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I find your comments about addiction extremely bigoted.
    My mom, sister and brother are addicts.

No offense, but unless you have watched your mother sell your friends drugs and get high with them after the sale, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I have very strong opinions about drug use. My sister lost all four of her kids because smoking crack, drinking and apparently punching cops was more important. I've never taken a drug in my life, and for the life of me, I have no idea how that happened. I just chose at an early age not to be like the rest of my family which is filled with addicts and alcoholics. So if it irks me that a known crack head, one that make millions, one that has set himself up as some kind of role model despite pictures and rumors of his behavior being less than saintly, well, I am sorry you find that offensive.
    Last edited by TRF; 01-06-2012 at 12:12 PM.

My mom, sister and brother are addicts.

No offense, but unless you have watched your mother sell your friends drugs and get high with them after the sale, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I have very strong opinions about drug use. My sister lost all four of her kids because smoking crack, drinking and apparently punching cops was more important. I've never taken a drug in my life, and for the life of me, I have no idea how that happened. I just chose at an early age not to be like the rest of my family which is filled with addicts and alcoholics. So if it irks me that a known crack head, one that make millions, one that has set himself up as some kind of role model despite pictures and rumors of his behavior being less than saintly, well, I am sorry you find that offensive.
    Then you should understand better than anybody why this is deemed necessary. Everyone's treatment opportunities and need to stay sober are different, which is why your blanket statements about what this person deserves is a bigoted view of addiction. I work in a mental health recovery organization, so I share your frustration that not everyone has the same opportunities and if they did, their story might be different. But I'm certainly not going to throw tomatoes at someone who is doing what they feel is necessary and has the resources to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Then you should understand better than anybody why this is deemed necessary. Everyone's treatment opportunities and need to stay sober are different, which is why your blanket statements about what this person deserves is a bigoted view of addiction. I work in a mental health recovery organization, so I share your frustration that not everyone has the same opportunities and if they did, their story might be different. But I'm certainly not going to throw tomatoes at someone who is doing what they feel is necessary and has the resources to do so.
    He isn't doing anything. The Rangers are. We've all by now seen the pictures. Hamilton out in bars, young women all over him. His talent is so immense, that we could have been looking at a top 10 offensive player of all time. instead we get this crap.

And it isn't bigoted. This isn't an irrational view based on color, religion or sex. He made a choice. No one chooses to be white, black or asian. No one chooses, to be born male or female, and IMO no one chooses to be straight or gay.

He. Chose. This.

And by simple virtue of him one day waking up and thinking "I should be making millions..." He dragged himself out of hell and back into the game. He stes himself up as a role model to people that can overcome drugs yet he and his employers don't trust him enough to not have a babysitter. Some role model. Because last time i checked 15 year old girls and boys, some addicted because they had no choice, some actually born addicted and into a society that almost forces drugs on them, don't get that little luxury.

I'm sorry, but after all I have seen and been through, I just cannot be happier this guy is not on the team i follow. I don't root against him, but I do not like him.

Because last time i checked 15 year old girls and boys, some addicted because they had no choice, some actually born addicted and into a society that almost forces drugs on them, don't get that little luxury.
    I don't know how common it is, but one 13 year old in particular who was born into addiction that I used to teach did eventually receive a personal helper paid for by the county where we lived. This person was an adult hired by the county who accompanied the young man to every class and community outings. It did take a long fight on the part of his adoptive parents to make this happen, but it did eventually happen. That is the only other case I know of such a thing occuring though.

He isn't doing anything. The Rangers are. We've all by now seen the pictures. Hamilton out in bars, young women all over him. His talent is so immense, that we could have been looking at a top 10 offensive player of all time. instead we get this crap.

And it isn't bigoted. This isn't an irrational view based on color, religion or sex. He made a choice. No one chooses to be white, black or asian. No one chooses, to be born male or female, and IMO no one chooses to be straight or gay.

He. Chose. This.

And by simple virtue of him one day waking up and thinking "I should be making millions..." He dragged himself out of hell and back into the game. He stes himself up as a role model to people that can overcome drugs yet he and his employers don't trust him enough to not have a babysitter. Some role model. Because last time i checked 15 year old girls and boys, some addicted because they had no choice, some actually born addicted and into a society that almost forces drugs on them, don't get that little luxury.

I'm sorry, but after all I have seen and been through, I just cannot be happier this guy is not on the team i follow. I don't root against him, but I do not like him.
    Just to clarify, you identified "addict" as a class of people and made blanket statements. Stigmatizing a class of people by a label is bigotry, by definition. The rest, not all opinions are created equal.

Turn Off Ads?