Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brandon tweets

Brandon tweets

According to his latest tweet, his word from his agent is that things are moving ahead pretty well on making Brandon a Reds for life as he puts it. I am willing to bet at Redsfest Reds will announce a long term deal with Brandon, something along 5-6 year deal...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Johnny Cueto Fan

Re: Brandon tweets

I can only hope.
    TWITTER : @KOBasinger

nothing says playing the future like signing a guy to a bad contract on the wrong side of 30. good job. sounds like another jim bowden move to me

why is BP batting 4th

Should have saved that money for Votto! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dMaus14 View Post
    Should have saved that money for Votto! LOL
    X2, I wouldn't be spending $ like this until I was sure I had enough to lock Votto up and build around him accordingly. (Not an insult to Phillips, I like him)

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    According to his latest tweet, his word from his agent is that things are moving ahead pretty well on making Brandon a Reds for life as he puts it. I am willing to bet at Redsfest Reds will announce a long term deal with Brandon, something along 5-6 year deal...
    I'd be leery of a 5 or 6 year deal for a thirty year old second baseman. For whatever reason, second baseman seem to decline relatively quickly. Dave Cameron, for instance, wrote an article on this a few months ago and noted "the rate of aging among second baseman has been so severe that it has become a truism in baseball that players who man the keystone position simply donít age well."

In the same article, Cameron explained that one reason for that decline might be that second basemen are typically less gifted athletes who were converted from shortstop or third base to play 2B. As such, they have less athletic talent to begin with, and thus seem to decline more rapidly than other positions.

This explanation applies to Phillips, of course, since he began his career as a shortstop, but in recent years, a lot of people have batted about the idea of trying to shift Phillips back to short. Perhaps that's an indication that Phillips is more gifted than the average second baseman, and won't suffer a similarly steep decline, but I'm not sure I'd bet on it.

The two type of second basemand who I would think of declining rapidly would be power hitters who obviously lose their ability to drive the ball, ala Bret Boone (trust me, he performed well later on because of steroids) and the Placido Polanco types. To me, Brandon is neither. He is more athletic than those types; he doesn't hit for power but he isn't a slap it around guy like Polanco. Plus most of the second baseman that he has mentioned in that article either had a history from onset of injuries (Brian Roberts) or somehow had a psychological breakdown which led to his failure (Chuck Knoblauch). Brandon hasn't been injured for a prolonged period of time, hasn't had his production drastically rise or fall over time other than his 30 HR year. Do I think he will produce for all 5-6 the exact same no. But I also don't think he will make us regret his contract going into year 3.

some ppl don't want them to do this but i do.

Reds are saying they aren't that close.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Wonder if this is a bit of posturing by Phillips...

"I told everyone we were close, and I was willing...but the organization just wouldn't come through!"

Make himself out to be the good guy if they aren't able to ink a deal (which I hope they're not).

I would like to see a 3 year deal with 2 option years like they had on the last contract

Will someone go slap Walt to not sign him so that we can start saving for Votto's payday! We are gonna need every dime we can if we intend to keep Votto longterm so he can be paid around $22.5-25M a year and take up about 30% of our payroll alone (not to mention 50% of our payroll including Chapman, Bruce and Cueto's contracts in 2014). And if we plan on doing that, extending Phillips is no go!

Actually, I can't wait for next offseason! We have just about the same amount of money invested for 2013 ($52.3M) that we do in 2012 ($52.5M) and its owed to fewer amount of players (2012 -11; 2013-5). That price will likely go up if we intend to trade prospects for SP in 2012, which then lead to possibly more holes to fill with fewer financial resources, not mention arbitration raises (yes, Homer Bailey will probably cost around $3.2-4M in 2013 for his "amazing" production. And if we sign Phillips to an extension, it could really get fun. because then it will be around $65M for 6 players and the payroll is like to be around $90M. Good luck Walt! I am rooting for you!

The signing of Brandon will in no way impact on the Reds ability to sign Votto. IF Bob wants to sign Votto he will, and he won't worry what he is paying Brandon.

Another thing with signing Votto if they were to back log some of the money it would be a big help to the books and it isn't like either of them are hurting for cash in the 1st place

I thik there's MAYBE a 20% chance that the Reds sign Votto. I think he's going for the biggest payday, and I think there will be teams with more money than the Reds in on thim. I'm not willing to let Phillips walk just to increase that to a 22% chance of signing him.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Turn Off Ads?