Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #16 prospect?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP James Allen

0 0%
  • C Tucker Barnhart

7 11.29%
  • RHP Alejandro Chacin

0 0%
  • LHP Tony Cingrani

19 30.65%
  • OF Juan Duran

17 27.42%
  • UT Brodie Greene

1 1.61%
  • RHP Drew Hayes

0 0%
  • LHP Donnie Joseph

0 0%
  • OF Ryan LaMarre

4 6.45%
  • RHP Kyle Lotzkar

2 3.23%
  • OF Denis Phipps

3 4.84%
  • UT Cody Puckett

0 0%
  • 3B Gabriel Rosa

3 4.84%
  • RHP J.C. Sulbaran

5 8.06%
  • 2B Ryan Wright

0 0%
  • other (please list below)

1 1.61%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #16 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #16 prospect?

#1 C Devin Mesoraco
    #2 1B/OF Yonder Alonso
    #3 C Yasmani Grandal
    #4 SS Billy Hamilton
    #5 SS Zack Cozart
    #6 RHP Dan Corcino
    #7 RHP Robert Stephenson
    #8 RHP Brad Boxberger
    #9 1B Neftali Soto
    #10 OF Yorman Rodriguez
    #11 2B Ron Torreyes
    #12 OF Dave Sappelt
    #13 UT Todd Frazier
    #14 SS Didi Gregorius
    #15 2B Henry Rodriguez

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #16 prospect?

I have to say: James Allen was not a name I expected to see at this point. But I guess it's understandable, and impressively out-of-the-box. I like the additions of Chacin and Hayes, and would nominate Tim Crabbe.

Meanwhile: Barnhart. I originally had him at #10.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am taking Gabriel Rosa here. I simply love his swing and offensive potential. There isn't much data to go on, but the Reds certainly felt he was worth a 2nd round pick this past season and that is plenty enough for me to add to what I see that he is a strong pick here.

I was ready to vote for Daniel Renken here, but he dropped off the list. 22 year old who made 26 starts at 2 levels. In 20 starts at Dayton he had an FIP of 3.05 with over 11 K/9 and just ovwer 3 BB/9. It wasn't luck. is BABIP was .326.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I was ready to vote for Daniel Renken here, but he dropped off the list. 22 year old who made 26 starts at 2 levels. In 20 starts at Dayton he had an FIP of 3.05 with over 11 K/9 and just ovwer 3 BB/9. It wasn't luck. is BABIP was .326.
    Profiles as a Sam LeCure type if things continue to go right for him. Stuff is fringe average. Solid guy to have. Not a top 25 prospect.

Rosa - Same as Doug... Not much to go off of here, but I've seen sites with him ranked as high as 13th in the Reds system... Bat speed looks nice. Raw, high-ceiling potential.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am taking Gabriel Rosa here. I simply love his swing and offensive potential. There isn't much data to go on, but the Reds certainly felt he was worth a 2nd round pick this past season and that is plenty enough for me to add to what I see that he is a strong pick here.
    You think he'll stick at third base? If not, where does he go?

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Juan Duran again. Massive power potential. He is still working through his last growth spurt and will start to put on additional muscle soon. He has the highest ceiling of available players by far and its not even close, IMO.

I know Doug and others think Juan Duran is too raw to go this high.

But I think most teams would have him in the top fifteen if not a bit higher.

Duran at age 19 had 16 homers and 71 RBI in 367 official at bats at Dayton. A .792 OPS.

The guy obviously is a project, he isn't near ready. But at age 19 he had an excellent power/RBI season at Low A ball.

High upside, good performance, young for his level, highly touted when acquired.

So I got Juan Duran here.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-29-2011 at 08:33 PM.

I had a lot of love for Duran... Just afraid that he's grown too much to ever control the plate... He's just too tall.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    I had a lot of love for Duran... Just afraid that he's grown too much to ever control the plate... He's just too tall.
    You just coined a nickname. Juan "Too Tall" Duran.

Can he rush the passer?

Tough call for me. I really like Rosa, thought the pick was fabulous, and I'm very impressed by the way Phipps came on last year--ought to be at least a good 4th outfielder type. But I'm going with Sulbaran--21 years old at High A with terrific peripherals in a hitter's league and ballpark. 137 innings, 155K/50W, only 10 HR's. My breakout candidate of the year for 2012 (perhaps along with Rosa).

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    You think he'll stick at third base? If not, where does he go?
    I haven't seen him over there, so I have no idea if he will stick there or not. But outfield is always an option for him and right now at least, he has good speed and a strong arm.

I was a big Duran supporter the last two years but not enough of that potential has yet been turned into production compared to so many other guys available.

Went with JC considering his season in Bakersfield
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Tough call for me. I really like Rosa, thought the pick was fabulous, and I'm very impressed by the way Phipps came on last year--ought to be at least a good 4th outfielder type. But I'm going with Sulbaran--21 years old at High A with terrific peripherals in a hitter's league and ballpark. 137 innings, 155K/50W, only 10 HR's. My breakout candidate of the year for 2012 (perhaps along with Rosa).
    Ditto. 3:1 ratio and few homers in a hitters park. Will be in AA at 22 and even has some big game experience. Yeah, he's probably a back-end of the rotation guy, but I think he's got a pretty high floor.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?