Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox to hire Valentine

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Red Sox to hire Valentine

Gordon Cobbledick.

I'm speechless.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Maybe it's not the manager that's the problem there. Maybe it's the players.

I'm sure Valentine has his faults but he's not exactly Bob Boone. They had problems last year and they are having problems this year. The manager has changed but pretty much the same players are there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

I'm sure Valentine has his faults but he's not exactly Bob Boone. They had problems last year and they are having problems this year. The manager has changed but pretty much the same players are there.
    I think its fairly clear that there are some players that are a problem. It doesn't make Valntine any better. Every time I want to complain about Dusty, I try to remember how lucky we are not to have Bobby V.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Agree to a point. They had some serious issues in Boston with that clubhouse and pretty much a complete lack of discipline. These are grown men who should be able to conduct themselves in a professional manner and they needed to clean out just as many players as coaches but didn't do it. You can't make all those changes in one offseason though, but Bobby Valentine isn't the guy you bring in to help right the ship. He's anything but a stabilizing force and I can't believe that the Red Sox thought he would make that situation better.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

It is well known for whatever reason that Bobby V is one of the most disliked people in all of MLB. How he was hired is beyond me. Putting him in a shaky clubhouse is just adding fuel to the fire.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan View Post
    Agree to a point. They had some serious issues in Boston with that clubhouse and pretty much a complete lack of discipline. These are grown men who should be able to conduct themselves in a professional manner and they needed to clean out just as many players as coaches but didn't do it. You can't make all those changes in one offseason though, but Bobby Valentine isn't the guy you bring in to help right the ship. He's anything but a stabilizing force and I can't believe that the Red Sox thought he would make that situation better.
    He's definitely not blameless. But isn't he supposed to be a disciplinarian?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    It is well known for whatever reason that Bobby V is one of the most disliked people in all of MLB. How he was hired is beyond me. Putting him in a shaky clubhouse is just adding fuel to the fire.
    The Red Sox were winners of 90 games last year. They will not win that many this year.

There were problems, but Valentine certainly did not fix them.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Everything Bobby V does poorly... Dusty Baker does exceptionally well. Dusty's players would go to war with him. Bobby's players would probably shoot him if they could get away with it.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I think its pretty plainly clear the Red Sox will have a different manager next year.

He's definitely not blameless. But isn't he supposed to be a disciplinarian?
    Do you really think of his purported behavior to be disciplinarian? I don't.

Boston had major issues in their clubhouse last year that led to their colossal collapse and their idea of a fix was to bring in the most divisive and controversial manager available? Bad move.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    Do you really think of his purported behavior to be disciplinarian? I don't.
    Well, we don't know everything that goes on there but he has the reputation of being a disciplinarian. When clubs make a managerial change they usually bring in someone who has the opposite style of his predecessor. The guy who succeeds Dusty is probably going to be quite different than Dusty.

Boston had major issues in their clubhouse last year that led to their colossal collapse and their idea of a fix was to bring in the most divisive and controversial manager available? Bad move.
    I didn't say it was a good move but the die has been cast and I don't think these players have it as bad as they think. If they hadn't had such a knee-jerk reaction to the collapse last year and kept Francona, they might be better off than they are now. But the way they are handling this is no good.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Boston higher ups should either back him 100% or fire him. Seems like they haven't done either

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=18036

A player who recently played with the Red Sox and keeps in touch with some of his old teammates also offers a bleak forecast: "I don't care what they're saying publicly (in light of the Yahoo! Sports story); those guys hate playing for Bobby Valentine. Management really made a bad decision when they hired him. You're taking a veteran team that played for the best player's manager in the game in (Francona) and replacing him with a guy who threw the most-respected player in that clubhouse under the bus? There's no way that is every going to work.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Gee! I wonder who that might be!

Looks like they only signed him for two yrs so they'll only have to eat one yr. Here's the real question for us fans: Does this mean we have to stomach him again on ESPN or MLB Network?

Turn Off Ads?