Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox to hire Valentine

-The Insider-

Red Sox to hire Valentine

After two years of speculation of being the next Marlins, Orioles and other team's managers, Bobby Valentine has found a home. It's being reported that the Boston Red Sox and Valentine have agreed to terms that would make Valentine the Red Sox's 45th manager in team history. The 61-year-old Valentine is currently in Japan for personal business but should return soon.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Red Sox to hire Valentine

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...ed-sox-manager

Bobby Valentine, an analyst for ESPN, will be the next manager of the Boston Red Sox, a source close to the team said Tuesday night.

Valentine was offered the job Tuesday and accepted it. Valentine, who appeared at a charity event in Japan on Monday, is scheduled to fly back home at midnight ET Wednesday.

Earlier Tuesday, a source told ESPN that Gene Lamont, the other finalist for the job, was no longer a candidate.

The Boston Globe reported via Twitter that the Red Sox denied that Lamont is out of the running.

Read an article about Bobby V the other day that suggested he's not well liked by many people in baseball, due to his arrogance and drama. It will be interesting to see how things work out.

That said, he'll probably be hailed as a genius when the Red Sox win 95 games next year on the back of regression.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Will they let him wear the beard in the dugout?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Read an article about Bobby V the other day that suggested he's not well liked by many people in baseball, due to his arrogance and drama. It will be interesting to see how things work out.

That said, he'll probably be hailed as a genius when the Red Sox win 95 games next year on the back of regression.
    Sounds like a perfect fit when you put it like that.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I bet the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry will take on an even more volatile air with the "arrogant and dramatic" Valentine at the helm of the Sox. Could be fun.

Sunday night baseball just got a whole lot better. Hope they leave the crew alone.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Mutiny at Fenway?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...month/related/

According to Passan players “blasted Valentine to owners John Henry and Larry Lucchino during a heated meeting called after a text message was sent by a group of frustrated players to the team and ownership in late July.”
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

http://www.chatterfromthedugout.com/..._crybabies.htm

The Cleveland Crybabies

In June some of the veteran players met and decided to go to club president, Alva Bradley, and ask “that nasty little man” be fired. Feller joined the mutineers, Mack and Boudreau did not. They defeated the Tigers at home 3-2 in 11 innings as sportswriter Gordon Cobbledick of the Cleveland Plain Dealer broke the story on the team rebellion. One called it bigger news than the fall of Paris to the Germans. Bradley told his players that there would be no immediate change in managers, and never supported either his ballplayers or manager. Vitt immediately called a clubhouse meeting claiming, “I am the manager. Let’s go out and play ball.” It was about that time when the term “Cleveland Crybabies” was born.

They sent a text message? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    http://www.chatterfromthedugout.com/..._crybabies.htm

In June some of the veteran players met and decided to go to club president, Alva Bradley, and ask “that nasty little man” be fired. Feller joined the mutineers, Mack and Boudreau did not. They defeated the Tigers at home 3-2 in 11 innings as sportswriter Gordon Cobbledick of the Cleveland Plain Dealer broke the story on the team rebellion. One called it bigger news than the fall of Paris to the Germans. Bradley told his players that there would be no immediate change in managers, and never supported either his ballplayers or manager. Vitt immediately called a clubhouse meeting claiming, “I am the manager. Let’s go out and play ball.” It was about that time when the term “Cleveland Crybabies” was born.

The Cleveland Crybabies

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    They sent a text message? Wow.
    No kidding. As for player's getting all worked up about him leaving in Lester to give up 11 runs, unless Lester was hurt, something tells me their worrying about the guy. I can't imagine there are many scenarios where players are happy with the manager of a team that is significantly under-performing -- and its not like Valentine is to blame for their injuries.

For all I know, Valentine is a horrible manager to play for; it's certainly his reputation. And the Passan aticle cites some things that read like gross mismanagement. And for those things, he may very well deserve to be fired.

But we all take issue with out boss sometimes. There are ways to handle that. Those ways don't include texting the CEO and telling him/her that I don't want to come in to work anymore. If one of us did that, we'd probably get fired.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 08-14-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

This is the least informed opinion possible, but..

I don't really condone what the players did, but, judging by the bits and pieces we see in public, I don't see how anyone could spend 5 minutes with Valentine and not come away wanting to get as far away from him as possible.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

No way I'd want Valentine as manager of our team here in Cincinnati but I'm sure ownership knew what they were getting. Players have "rebelled" against Tom Coughlin in NY before but that worked out all right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Players have "rebelled" against Tom Coughlin in NY before but that worked out all right.
    Tiki Barber retired, Shockey was let go and without his two amigos, Strahan fell into line. Sometimes you have to clear out the troublemakers in the lockerroom.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?