Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Trade with the Cubs

Trade with the Cubs

What about a trade with the Cubs for Marlon Byrd? He could serve as our solution for LF and go back to the numbers he put up in Texas by playing in GABP. He's owed $6.5M in 2012 and becomes a FA in 2013. If he doesn't perform we can wash our hands of him. He shouldn't cost that much in a trade since they are trying to get rid of many players to try and replenish the farm system and get cheaper/younger.

What do you think? If you like it who would you give up?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade with the Cubs

The problem I see is trading in the division, usually you have to overpay.

Someone please tell me the problem with Heisey, or Sappelt, or even Phipps playing left?

Quote Originally Posted by brad1176 View Post
    The problem I see is trading in the division, usually you have to overpay.
    But the Cubs would be trading in THEIR division too. Who gets to decide which team has to over pay?
    Sto Pro Veritate

I have no problem with Sappelt, Heisey playing LF but I just thought that one of them, if not both would be moved this offseason for SP. And I also think there are number of factors that won't make us overpay:

1. final year of contract, so anything is better than draft picks when you don't plan on contending
    2. Inside the division will only affect Garza, Marmol, Soto and possibly Marshall because they could be locked up long term and are that good
    3. 2 Wild Cards
    4. Again, I think being in contention would be a happily accepted biproduct of clearing dead weight for younger prospects but they aren't focused on it
    5. They are trying to rid themselves of Hendry's bad contracts so they can make their own

Ok that last one was a little jab at the Crawford and Lackey signings!

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    Someone please tell me the problem with Heisey, or Sappelt, or even Phipps playing left?
    Or Alonso. LF should be way down on the priority list.

No offense but yonder should not be considered to play left this year. I've seen him multiple times and well he just seems lost in left kind of like Dunn was but possibly worse. As for moving Heisey and Sappelt, i honestly see both of them being on the 25 man roster opening day unless the reds bring in a lance nix type player to platoon with heisey.

I'm all for Alonso in left field. He will get better, but the Reds need to make up their minds as to what they want to do him so Yonder can focus on getting better wherever we are going to use him

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    But the Cubs would be trading in THEIR division too. Who gets to decide which team has to over pay?
    If a division team calls another division team and asks for a trade to get one of their better players, they will ask a lot. They don't want to face that player 18 games per season unless they get a big return.

Putting Byrd into LF would be a pretty darn minor upgrade over what we're expecting out of a Heisey/Alonso combo. The Cubs would have to eat a fair chunk of that contract for this to be interesting, and would likely cost us more than it's worth.

Turn Off Ads?